Highlighted
Temray
Level 2: Rookie

Blue Tick for iPhone 5C but not 5S?

Answered

I currently have an iPhone 4S (blue ticked) & was planning to upgrade to the 5S.  But it appears that only the lower spec 5C has the blue tick for rural coverage, and the 5C doesn't provide enough improvements over the 4S to warrant upgrading.   The question:  how short was the 5S of meeting the blue tick requirements?  [ I would have thought that Apple would have attempted to ensure the 5S was blue tick compliant, given the previous media coverage that it had over antenna problems with earlier models.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Blue Tick for iPhone 5C but not 5S?

We should have coverage information for the iPhone 6 closer to launch Temray.

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Temray,

Firstly welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to have your post put up Smiley Happy

At release there is no indication as to how close the iPhone 5s handset was to getting the blue tick for rural coverage, but it has not reached this classification. I understand your concerns with the 5c not having the improvements that the 5s does provide, but you will have to look at what and where you are looking to use the handset. If you are in a rural location, then the 5c may be the way to go if you need to have your handset upgraded. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Temray

Thanks DingoDan.  Is there any possibility that there might be a change in the blue tick status of the 5S in the near future?  If not, I'll probably just stay with my 4S.

Temray

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Temray, 

Usually we would get this information before launching the handset. It's also hardware related and cannot be added after a software update. 

- Luis

Longy181
Level 1: Cadet

Could you please explain how the 5c gets a blue tick when it is basically the same phone as the 5 - which doesn't have a blue tick.

Also how does the higher specced iphone 5s not get a blue tick when the 5c does?

To me this just does not add up.

Must be an obvious answer
Support Team
Support Team

Sorry I'm no engineer, so I can't explain how that works on a technical level. However I can tell you that we test all phones for the blue tick rating and based on those results it can pass or fail.

The hardware and device itself are made from different components and materials, which will all contribute to the results in the end. I would imagine that the results would be close because the antennas would be largely the same but it's hard for me to say what the cause was.

Longy181

Dear Jesse s - can't you find out from the blue tick team?
Arky

GDay,

After noticing this post i would really like to know why i was informed that it could be made rural capable through software change from the sales department.

Also i would like to enquire why would telstra show cdma specs on its advertising for 5s if they are not going to stock those particular models.

Does anyone know if telstra will be getting models: Iphone 5s Model A1533 (CDMA) or Model A1453 to be rural capable as they are advertised by apple for australia?

Cheers,

Support Team
Support Team

G'day Arky,

To my knowledge, we won't be getting any more models of the iPhone 5s bar the one we already sell. 

Apologies for any inconvenience 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Model A1530 is the model sold in Australia.  The other models are only sold in countries that more closely match the specs.

The specs are just a copy from what Apple provides.

The reason why the 5c gets a Blue Tick and the 5s doesn't comes down to the materials used in construction of the phone, which basically means that the 5c antennas characteristics are better.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Arky

Gday after much more research.

apple have advised the same as you we only have the one model sold in australia. (the GSM model)

But with enquiries to the store and technicians they have answered much more clearly. They have informed me it doesnt have anything to do with the phone materials when it comes to coverage on iphone. Both 5c and 5s are made the same specs only with the obvious extra processor and upgrade. For coverage it would come down to the provider through software installation. From the description they gave is, the phone provider has set the bands for the phone to give the extra coverage. To their advice the provider has not allowed this phone to have regional coverage. But this can be changed later down the track if the provider wish to do so and would be done automatically.

Suprisingly i did speak to someone also from telstra who knew a bit about it, and the response was the same as to it can be automatically set later down the track.

So as far as the 5c being plastic/different materials is better for coverage reasons, a technician from apple has confirmed that it makes no difference. if not the 5s should be slightly more powerful but in no way does the metal backing interfere with antenna. both phones had similar results.

i hope im not stepping on any toes but i made quite a few calls about it as quite a few mates i know also want to find out, and also getting mixed answers.

other than that cheers and i its good to see a site like this.

Temray

...to continue from my enquiry last year, I still have my iPhone 4S and still want to upgrade, but I DO need a blue tick phone.  My wife bought the 5C, but I didn't think it was enough of an improvement over the 4S to make changing worthwhile.  Now that the iPhone 6 has been released, I'm again reviewing my options.  Does anyone know when we'll be able to find out about the blue tick status of the 6 or the 6L??

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

We should have coverage information for the iPhone 6 closer to launch Temray.

-Dylan

JohnStats

I'm with you - hanging out to see if the 6 is a Blue Tick.
I can't help with an answer - just hoping that if those who can see a ground swell of interest they will hurry up the assessment process
radiance

Hi Arky
Just saw your post and am wondering whether you found out anything about the cover/case making any difference. Some other forums indicated that reception could be improved (or at least not hampered) by having the right type of cover but were not specific about what that would be and why it might make a difference?

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now