YE2
Level 1: Cadet

Christina Morrow spam texts

Been getting txt from Christina for several months have blocked each one but number keeps changing. Informed Telstra what do I do?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Christina Morrow spam texts

About the only thing that seems to work is if you go in to all of your social media accounts and hide or remove your mobile number.

There is nothing that Telstra can do from a network level to stop these messages.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MarcMarc
Level 2: Rookie

These messages are not sent by Facebook. It is Phishing attack and Telstra should look into preventing it. This is like old days before email providers were filtering email messages for spam and security reasons. It seems that text messages have reached the same level of missuses and need attention by Telcos.
Telstra, if one text message is sent to many users, it should raise some alarm in your security department and be sorted.

Level 21: Augmented

No they are not sent from Facebook, but they found your mobile number from social media... There is nothing that Telstra can do to prevent these fraudulent SMS messages since it is dead easy to spoof outgoing phone number...
Now for your suggestion - basically, you are suggesting that Telstra should monitor all texts sent through their network... Well, perhaps you would be happy with that - but most of us would not. This would be Big Brother watching over our shoulders, wouldn't it? Plus, do you have any idea how many messages are sent every second?
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
MarcMarc
Level 2: Rookie

I would disagree as, without proof, this is very bold statement. I do have my number registered against my Facebook account as part of Two factor authorisation. It is not shared anywhere even with any of my Facebook friends.
If this was something you could prove, I think you would get a front cover.

Spam filters and security exist on all email providers. The fact that they don't exist on text messages is, because they were not abused that badly before I guess. Anyways, currently many people I know are receiving multiple sms messages a day and are unable to use their phone on their terms.
That will not last, I am sure. The thing I don't know is whether Telstra will sort it, Optus, Vodafone ,IOS or Android. I don't think Australian government will tackle this problem without leadership from Telcos.
Level 21: Augmented

@MarcMarc wrote:
I would disagree as, without proof, this is very bold statement. I do have my number registered against my Facebook account as part of Two factor authorisation. It is not shared anywhere even with any of my Facebook friends.

I do not need to prove it - it has been proven already - just do your diligence and search the net (Google anyone?)... Facebook leaked more than just your mobile number and not only once!!!

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now