CrowdSupport®
Dusty48
Level 1: Cadet

Fon Hotspots

Answered

I'm trying to get my head around the Fon thing. I'm travelling to San Francisco soon and decided to look into using my Telstra Air app to connect to Fon hotspots there. I discovered that there are hundreds of them but that they are all "private residences". I then decided to look at the Fon map for hotspots in Australia and found that there are tens of thousands of them, all private residences including my own house. Does anyone know how this works? I assumed that the hotspots would all be like our converted Telstra street phone boxes. Does it mean that I and all other Telstra customers' modems are being used as Fon hotspots without our knowledge?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Fon Hotspots

If it is being used without your knowledge, then you haven't been paying attention for the past 5 years or so.

By default, Telstra modems create a "Telstra Air" hotspot, which is part of the FON network. That is how you get access to the Telstra Air and FON hotpsots around the world for free, by providing access via your home connection (at no cost or impact to your own connection).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Fon Hotspots

If it is being used without your knowledge, then you haven't been paying attention for the past 5 years or so.

By default, Telstra modems create a "Telstra Air" hotspot, which is part of the FON network. That is how you get access to the Telstra Air and FON hotpsots around the world for free, by providing access via your home connection (at no cost or impact to your own connection).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit