Robdownunder
Level 2: Rookie

Iphone 4s can no longer access internet over 3g after iOS6 install

Answered

A few others reporting the same issue.

Today's update and carrier setting update has killed internet access on my iphone.

tried resets, reboots, apn fixes, the lot.   Nothing works.

others have reported the same and also report that other sims work fine.

I  get the error message "Could not activate cellular data network" "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DJJ
Accepted Solution

Re: Iphone 4s can no longer access internet over 3g after iOS6 install

Telstra has just texted me to say that "Internet Access is now provisioned on the mobile account." I turned it off then on again as requested and now it works fine. Can't see any difference on the cellular data setting so it was obviously at their end.

Still not sure if I will stick with iOS6 - a couple of my apps (so far) don't work properly now . . . . .

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Level 21: Augmented

beside the APN changing to telstra.wap I noticed that there are now two reset options related

the normal one at Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings

and there is now another option at Settings/General/Cellular/Cellular Data Network/Reset Settings

I'd try resetting the second one here if you haven't already

if you've done that then I'd try a restore through iTunes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Maxwell
Level 1: Cadet

Having the exact same problem. Was getting passed around on the phone for over an hour and concluded with the tech support guy saying "I just don't know".

A solution would be good Telstra.

Maxwell

Okay after about 2 and a half hours on the phone I have this sorted. I read on the whirlpool forums that it was something on Telstra's side and kept pushing this on the tech people, eventually they changed some settings and admitted it's a problem on their side.

Goodnight.
Robdownunder

If anyone else has success after calling Telstra, please find out the exact procedure the tech person used so it can be publicised.

I spent an age going through various attempted fixes with the Telstra rep and got nowhere.

DJJ

I have the same problem - two calls to Telstra today, much time wasted, nothing fixed. Now they say someone will call me back in 5 to 7 working days . . . .

When there's a solution please can someone post it so we can all get help?

Measureware

I've just upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 6.0 and seen the same issue, "Could not activate cellular data network" "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service", so it is sounding like many people are going to be impacted. iTunes did a carrier settings update, on Telstra 13.1, reset network setting (both places), reset the iPhone a few times - sounds like Telstra have work to do on their side Smiley Sad

Measureware

Just got off the phone from Telstra who fixed the problem. As others have asked, I asked them what they did to fix this, and they said they "refreshed the codes on the account".

Robdownunder

Thanks for posting.

I gave up and went back to iOS5

I'll leave it a few weeks/months and try again.

I've spent too much time and bandwidth on this to keep going.

If someone from Telstra can assure me they've fixed my account setting, I'll try again.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Measureware wrote:

Just got off the phone from Telstra who fixed the problem. As others have asked, I asked them what they did to fix this, and they said they "refreshed the codes on the account".

which is tech speak for absolutely nothing, as the codes are applied automatically Smiley Wink

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

losfp

Very frustrating, this is happening for me too!! Updated to iOS6 on an iPhone 4 and now cannot use mobile internet.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone can find a solution Smiley Happy

DJJ
Accepted Solution

Telstra has just texted me to say that "Internet Access is now provisioned on the mobile account." I turned it off then on again as requested and now it works fine. Can't see any difference on the cellular data setting so it was obviously at their end.

Still not sure if I will stick with iOS6 - a couple of my apps (so far) don't work properly now . . . . .

Robdownunder

I was inspired by the last post to try again.

This time the Telstra rep recognised the problem and knew he had to escalate the case for the techies to add "missing internet codes" to my account.

I tried to get the name of the codes, but the mumbled response and mumbled repeat of them was impossible to translate into English.

The reps you talk to cannot fix this, they have to escalate it. So make sure that the one you talk to does that.

My case reference is INT1-105 128 347 352.  If you're faced with a clueless rep, ask for a supervisor and give them my reference if they want to look at the case notes to find the course of action to initiate the fix.

Good luck.

junwin

Wow - easy fix - go to settings - general - cellular - Cellular data network -and change APN from telstra.wap to telstra.iph

Fix  

BellaRimm

I tried this but when I went into the settings it already had telstra.iph but the username and password fields were blank???

How frustrating!!

BellaRimm

Great I will give this a go, thank RobDownUnder. Let you know in 10 hours when I get off hold!!!!

losfp

My god - what a trial! I called up about 4 times over 3 days, and between being transfered and disconnected, being promised a callback within 24 hours that never arrived and being promised a fix within 24 hours that never happened, I finally got someone who fixed it for me.  sure, it meant I was on hold for about 20 minutes, but at least now I'm back in business.

Very poor experience, Telstra.

JAMESC

Awesome, thank you! Pity Telstra couldn't have posted this on their Frequently asked questions. Cheers

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more