Highlighted
snoopdog
Level 3: Gumshoe

Iphone 5 retaining emails

Answered
Even after deleting all my emails mail is taking up 1.3Gb on my iPhone 5. Have tried deleting mail & reinstalling but still doesn't solve the problem.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum
Accepted Solution

Re: Iphone 5 retaining emails

If you're completely certain that the emails kept shouldn't be taking up that much storage, the issue may be with the phone itself. There's 2 ways that may resolve it:

1. Remove the email account/s, sign out of iCloud, delete/uninstall the Mail app, reboot the phone, re-install the Mail app via the App Store, sign back into iCloud, run the mail app and then re-add the account/s. Also after the phone has rebooted and before reinstalling the app, check and make sure there's no usage/storage shown for them mail app. 

2. Do a full backup of the device via iTunes on a PC/Mac, factory reset the phone, restore the phone from the backup

Please note: The first option could cause an issue in that if the account has been setup as POP, there is the potential to lose emails you may want to keep depending on if this iPhone or another device has been set to delete emails from the server and under what conditions. IMAP should be unaffected. The second option has risk if the phone didn't back up properly as you could potentially lose data.

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Snoopdog. Thanks for coming through. Calendars will often blow out the memory in an email app. Have you tried backing up and deleting past calendar info? - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

snoopdog

Hi Matthew, thanks for your reply.  No have never tried deleting calendar info, will give that a try.

Level 22: Superhuman

Hello .... try doing a network reset as it fixes a mutitude of issues
After the above please reset your WiFi
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
snoopdog

Hi Matthew, deleting past calendars didn't work. Julie
snoopdog

Hi thank you for replying. Have tried that also didn't work.
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Hey snoopdog, welcome to CrowdSupport.

Could we please confirm you've cleared old emails from both the inbox itself as well as the Trash Folder in the email app?

I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

snoopdog

Yes I delete emails everyday from the inbox & trash otherwise storage is full. Also have to move photos off the phone continually as no storage available. Have to keep deleting apps to make room.

So when you open up the mail app can you see any mail in there at all? Are there any folders with mail in them? If you uninstall the mail app, does the storge for mail decrease?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

snoopdog

I have just deleted the mail app, in settings showing 1.08Gb still in mail.

Thats interesting. Do you use iOS mail app or do you use something like outlook as I dont thinks its possible to delete the iOS mail app on and iphone as its built in. Can you see any other mail apps on your phone after uninstalling the one you used?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

snoopdog

No other mail apps on phone, just use the mail app from the App Store.

When it showes you storage used is it possible to clear cache or storage. Though this should happen when the app is uninstalled

snoopdog

Apple mail app
snoopdog

No not possible to clear storage- says go to App Store to restore mail.

That is odd. What happens if you turn the phone off then back on. does it still say its taken up storage?

snoopdog

Yes turned phone off & back on again - no change in mail storage.

Thats defying my logic. Have you spoken with apple at all about this?

Level 24: Supreme Being

Try this:

1. Remove your email accounts
  2. Sign out of iCloud
  3. Delete/Remove the mail app
  4. Reboot

After the reboot, check if the mail storage is now 0 (or close to it). Then:

1. Install the mail app from the app store
  2. Sign back into iCloud either via Settings or firing up the mail app and entering the iCloud details there
  3. Add your email account back in

Check now and see if the storage number is different

The only potential issue I can see with this is that: If your account has been setup as POP and you have 'delete from server' settings active on either the iPhone or another device, you may lose emails depending on what those settings were

Let me know how that goes

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum
Accepted Solution

If you're completely certain that the emails kept shouldn't be taking up that much storage, the issue may be with the phone itself. There's 2 ways that may resolve it:

1. Remove the email account/s, sign out of iCloud, delete/uninstall the Mail app, reboot the phone, re-install the Mail app via the App Store, sign back into iCloud, run the mail app and then re-add the account/s. Also after the phone has rebooted and before reinstalling the app, check and make sure there's no usage/storage shown for them mail app. 

2. Do a full backup of the device via iTunes on a PC/Mac, factory reset the phone, restore the phone from the backup

Please note: The first option could cause an issue in that if the account has been setup as POP, there is the potential to lose emails you may want to keep depending on if this iPhone or another device has been set to delete emails from the server and under what conditions. IMAP should be unaffected. The second option has risk if the phone didn't back up properly as you could potentially lose data.

Telstra Platinum

snoopdog

Hi, no haven't been to Apple yet thought I would try the forum first. Thanks for your continuing help, much appreciated.
snoopdog

Hi, yes it is a Pop account and I do have delete from server after one day after being removed from Inbox, thought this would help with storage but this hasn't worked. Could doing the above remove emails from my Macbook?

It shouldn't if it is setup as POP on the macbook as well
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
snoopdog

Hi, tried option 1 - didn't work, tried option 2 - resetting phone - YES SUCCESS!!!
Thank you for all your help, very much appreciated- finally have some memory back on the phone. 😀
Watdawg
Level 1: Cadet

Hey mate I had called issue where my email was linked to my office computer. Whenever I did end of month invoices they were also in my sent folder on the phone. Some 2000 odd! When I found them & deleted them it freed up heaps.

Worth a shot. Good luck
Carn da Hawks!!!
zamakli
Level 2: Rookie

Thought I missed something in setup for my POP3 accounts, but apparently not. Got almost a years worth of email on the device with thousands of messages, many with large attached files, and no apparent way to trim it down. Unlike every other mobile PDA device I’ve ever owned, there is no way to set a limit to how many days/months/years of email messages that an iPhone will retain. There is also no way to selectively choose email messages for deletion based on how many days/months/years old they are. Am I missing something fairly obvious here?

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now