CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Jknightmare
Level 2: Rookie

Iphone X Imei Blocked

Hello

I purchased an iPhone X 2 weeks ago on gumtree as second hand device, which everything works fine during these 2 weeks, it accepts other carriers as well. Then it suddenly goes to SOS only since yesterday. I did a lot of research and found out the phone might be registered as stolen/lost, because when I check IMEI on amta.org.au, it shows the IMEI number is blocked by Telstra on 01 Feb.

Is there any solution I can unblock it? or any suggestions?

Havent contact the seller yet, but a big chance she will just ignore me.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Iphone X Imei Blocked

Hello,
I'm certainly not qualified in any way to give you legal advice of any kind, but it would be reasonable to speak to the police for their guidance and or interest,
Best wishes
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Jknightmare

Thank you.
But since i called up telstra, telstra doesnt care about if they have been insurance frauded by that customer. that means i can do whatever to the phone i have got here that is IMEI blocked by telstra.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @Jknightmare,

Thanks for getting in touch with us and I apologise for any confusion in regards to your iPhone X being blocked.

We certainly want to ensure our customers receive any information and care in respect to their enquiry however I suspect this is more of a case that as much as we want to provide further insights, we are limited in doing so due to privacy reasons.

If the phone was purchased from Telstra and sequentially blocked (which is generally done for security purposes) I would contact the person you purchased the phone and have them (assuming they are the first owner) contact Telstra to clarify why the device has been restricted.

- ToneB

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jknightmare

Hi @ToneB

Thanks for replying

I understood that Telstra providing a good customer service to all customers. But when thing like this, it goes to a dead end here. Cause i have call this girl, she is aware of she is selling this IMEI locked phone to me, but dont want take any actions, because if she is the rightfull owner, why should she bother me, as she already take advantage of me and Telstra already. And as you dont want to step in to investigate if she is the owner and making insurance fraud.  And that is your choice.

In this case, it just makes some people who has no risk at doing this.

What i am trying to clarify now is. This IMEI blocked phone is it your property? or me as i pay the money for it? i bought it before this person reported lost, i bought this as it is only 3-4days old when it is firstly activate which means it is newly signed contract. and this person give me all original box and everything in it. also this person has Apple ID to access to it to reset all data.

If it is mine right now, i can do anything to it right?

Thanks

Level 25: The Singularity

You need to contact the person that you bought it from as if they are the registered owner of the handset (IMEI) then only they can do anything about it.

Telstra has an obligation to block the handset if it it requested to do so by the registered owner.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for your reply @Jknightmare . I apologise if I am unable to provide specific answers to your questions however I would suggest the following.

- If the IMEI is blocked by mistake, discuss this with the person who sold you the phone.

- If you can not contact the person who sold you the device nor there is no understanding as to why this device is blocked, please report to your local police.

- ToneB

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jknightmare

I understand that. and i understand telstra need to block the IMEI.
And i am not asking telstra to do so if telstra is not willing to to.
I just want to know this phone right now is my property or telstra? because the registered owner reported to telstra as lost, and claimed a new phone.

The phone belongs to whoever bought it. If the person that you bought it from was the legal owner of the phone, then you are now the legal owner of what is, for all intents and purposes (until you sort it out with the previous owner), a brick.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jknightmare

i dont think the legal owner still have any rights on this one because he/she claimed insurance from telstra. and got a new phone already. So this phone right now technically belongs to telstra, unless the legal owner return his/her new phone to telstra and saying he/she found this IMEI blocked phone, and ask telstra to unblocked.

I dont want telstra later comes to me and say like "hey, this phone is mine, return it to me"

Thanks @Jupiter 

Level 21: Augmented

@Jknightmare, you are currently in possession of probably stolen goods which last time I checked was crime in Australia... You should return it to whoever sold it to you and demand your money back. Alternatively, go to police.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Jknightmare

1st. the person who sold to me, dont want give my money back. and i still have her number and working phone number.
2nd. as i mentioned, i believe the situation is the person who sold it to me is the owner or at least they working together so that they are the one who might make insurance fraud.
3rd what if i tell you i went to police station and the police who talk to me, dont want to handle my question?

Thanks

If you have been to the police and they won't investigate, then you are stuck with a phone that will never work.

It sounds like you have been conned by this this person. There is nothing else that can be done. When buying second hand goods, it is always a case of "buyer beware".
Level 21: Augmented

That's what happens when people are naïve enough to buy something second hand 3-4 days after it was released... Most people would smell rats immediately and ran away from such a buy... Now you own pretty expensive brick... Congratulations...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 22: Superhuman

Hello,
As I suggested to you last Saturday, you should discuss this with the police. I am still of that (personal) opinion.  I am not legally qualified.  Thank you

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now