CrowdSupport®
dorkuys
Level 2: Rookie

Phone diverts to messagebank when in a specific location

Howdy,

I've been experiencing this issue for a few months now, but lately it's gotten worse.

When I'm at home my phone won't ring, and calls divert to voicemail after hanging for 10-20 seconds.  I get at least 1-2 bars of service where I am, and am in a straight line about 1.5k's from the nearest tower.  I do live in a semi rural area, however its reasonably built up and my partner has an iPhone and doesn't seem to have the same issue. 

Yesterday I swapped sims in a store, thinking that might be the issue, but nope still happening.  I've also disabled wifi calling thinking that might be the issue, as it only seems to happen to other iPhone users calling which is weird.

The other thing to note, sometimes when I make outbound calls (or when people call me), there is a long single beep prior to the line actually ringing (kind of like the noise you get when you dial an international number).

Any help would be appreciated. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Phone diverts to messagebank when in a specific location

Where you saying "hanging" do you mean the handset rings or there is a silent delay on the side of the person calling you?

The first thing to do is a Network Reset and reboot.

Please can you advise after that.

It does sound like the phone's receiver could be faulty.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"
dorkuys
Level 2: Rookie

Howdy,

Sorry yes theres just dead silence for the other person then it goes through the message bank.  If they persist and ring back a few times it will eventually connect through.

I will do a network reset when i get home and see if that sorts it out.

Thank you 

Level 22: Superhuman

Hello again,

That delay is the network searching all over Australia as there was no "page response" in the last location the phone had been logged on to. This is because people go interstate.

Having searched, and your phone did not respond back to the network,  it then does an Unreachable 62 divert to voicemail.

If another mobile has the same issue, it's a coverage issue.

If another mobile does not have the issue, it's a handset problem which I suspect at this stage.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now