Highlighted
bero100
Level 1: Cadet

Phone number appears as UNKNOWN in settings.

Answered

I just upgraded from an iPhone 3G to an iphone 4S. I also upgraded to a diffrent plan. I succesfully had everything transferred to the new sim card, however now, when i go to Settings -> Phone -> My Number = Unknown. If I go into Settings -> Messages I have no option to send or receive from my phone number, just my email. I have turned iMessage on and off, and it spends forever trying activate it, finally saying it is unsuccessful. I also did a full reset - imessage at least was activated, but my number still appeared as unknown, and when I turned imessage on and off, it no longer is able to activate it. I can however send imessages still - but they are from my email address. Anyone have any ideas ?? Is this is a carrier or Apple problem? Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sjhodson1982
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: Phone number appears as UNKNOWN in settings.

I have the same problem on an Android phone. From doing some research on the web, I have found that it's a SIM card issue.
On some older phone models (e.g., the T50 and some Nokias) you could write your phone number to the SIM - not as a regular phone book entry, but as a special "my number" type thing, usually found in the phone book settings or phone settings. Most modern Android (and presumably some iPhones) phones have completely overlooked this fundamental feature, and have no way of allowing you to write your own number on the SIM (again - I'm not saying as a phone book entry, but as a special entry just for this purpose).
Most Telstra SIM cards do not come with the phone number programmed on the SIM - even though the packaging of new products will have a sticker stating the SIM serial Number and service (phone) number.

Solution:
1) Remove SIM
2) Insert into old handset that allows you to write your own number in the phone or contacts settings
3) Write your number to the SIM through the special "my number" option found in the settings or contacts (again - this is not the same as just making a phone book entry for yourself saved to the SIM )
4) Replace the SIM into your new handset.
5) Voila! You should now see your number displayed instead of "unknown".

Yes, it's a pain in the neck.
Yes, it's a major oversight by the handset manufacturers.
But unless Telstra starts selling SIM's with the service (phone) number pre written to the SIM, or the manufacturers fix the oversight, it's the only solution I'm aware of...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 21: Augmented

add yourself as a contact, add your number in international format eg +61418123456 choose the phone type as iPhone, save the contact then go to Settings/Mail/Contact/Calendars, scroll down to Contacts and go to the My Info option and choose your contact, this should load your number in correctly

I don't know that it will sort out any problem you're having with iMessage and Facetime though, I think there's a bug when trying to activate a handset using a number that has already had either of these services activated previously
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
bero100

thankyou for your help, I followed all steps but it still appears to not be working!

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

You should be able to enter the Number in Settings > Phone to reflect your number (I know I had to do this).

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

bero100

I have tried numerous times to try and fix it that way however under My Number the Unknown part cannot be changed

Kano

I noticed you can't change your phone number while iMessage is active, try going to Settings - Messages and turning iMessage off then going into Settings - Phone and changing the number.

As far as iMessage goes, as there is an iMessage issue with Telstra at the moment that means your iMessage will nto be able to re-activate.

bero100

Thanks so much for your suggestion aswell but it still isn't working Smiley Sad At this stage My Number is unable to be edited and just constantly says Unknown

deejay72

I too have the problem with my Settings > Phone showing my number as "Unknown".  I changed last week from a 3GS which was working perfectly and displayed the phone number in an editable manner to a 4S.  Since activation of the 4S I have had the issue where my phone displays as "Unknown" and is not able to be edited.  Have tried restore from back ups, clean restore from an erase all in settings and a restore in DFU mode and nothing has changed.

sjhodson1982
Accepted Solution

I have the same problem on an Android phone. From doing some research on the web, I have found that it's a SIM card issue.
On some older phone models (e.g., the T50 and some Nokias) you could write your phone number to the SIM - not as a regular phone book entry, but as a special "my number" type thing, usually found in the phone book settings or phone settings. Most modern Android (and presumably some iPhones) phones have completely overlooked this fundamental feature, and have no way of allowing you to write your own number on the SIM (again - I'm not saying as a phone book entry, but as a special entry just for this purpose).
Most Telstra SIM cards do not come with the phone number programmed on the SIM - even though the packaging of new products will have a sticker stating the SIM serial Number and service (phone) number.

Solution:
1) Remove SIM
2) Insert into old handset that allows you to write your own number in the phone or contacts settings
3) Write your number to the SIM through the special "my number" option found in the settings or contacts (again - this is not the same as just making a phone book entry for yourself saved to the SIM )
4) Replace the SIM into your new handset.
5) Voila! You should now see your number displayed instead of "unknown".

Yes, it's a pain in the neck.
Yes, it's a major oversight by the handset manufacturers.
But unless Telstra starts selling SIM's with the service (phone) number pre written to the SIM, or the manufacturers fix the oversight, it's the only solution I'm aware of...

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now