Highlighted
Bulldog66
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Mobile protect

Answered

I have had telstra mobile protect turned on stopping internet access for over 24 hours yet phone has consumed 1 gig of data in that time? How possible if Internet restricted ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Mobile protect

Hi Bulldog66,

as JesseS advised, Mobile Protect is not designed to prevent data usage. It is to prevent browsers from accessing internet pages.
App's will still be able to access data services that are not website based.

If you are wanting to prevent data usage, you could switch off mobile data in the settings. Please be aware that on some phones, not all apps obey this setting and some data usage may still occur.
-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Bulldog66

Sorry to hear that Mobile Protect has not worked as you intended. As per the terms of the service, we cannot guarantee that all data usage will be prevented, as that is not the intention of this service. This can be used as a parental control to prevent access to certain websites, but not necessarily as a data usage tool.

What filter did you set up in the service?

Thanks

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Bulldog66

I used the "internet Time" restrictions  under the "custom" menu in Telstra Mobile Protect and set it for 24 hours 7 days a week...   or 12am to midnight Monday to Sunday.    

So if 'internet access" is cut for 24 hours 7 days a week not sure why this wouldnt prevent all data usage?

Thanks

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi Bulldog66,

as JesseS advised, Mobile Protect is not designed to prevent data usage. It is to prevent browsers from accessing internet pages.
App's will still be able to access data services that are not website based.

If you are wanting to prevent data usage, you could switch off mobile data in the settings. Please be aware that on some phones, not all apps obey this setting and some data usage may still occur.
-Ern

Bulldog66

Thanks Ern... but must say this makes Telstra Mobile Protect pretty much a waste of time... most children will be predominatly using apps on their phone... and the idea is that this service allows you to set times for kids to do homework etc....    

Support Team
Support Team

Get your point with that Bulldog66.

I will forward your feedback to our team as they take into account customer feedback when considering how to improve the functionality.
-Ern

tycoel
Level 4: Private Eye

I'm having exactly the same problem - if Telstra would prefer parents to use pre-paid plans or other providers then they are certainly going the right way about pushing us out! Bloody ridiculous. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @tycoel,

Please see @JesseS 's response above.

scrytch

I find the statement that this is not the intention of the service unnacceptable.

Actually stated by the tool when setting it up under "Internet Time Restrictions" is:

Block internet access

Set times you want to block all access to the internet from your phone.
For example, you can block internet access for your child during homework time.

This pretty definitively states it will "block all access to the internet" - which I and any rightfully minded person would assume will do as it says.

I believe in this circumstance @Bulldog66 you may want to talk with a solicitor - Telstra through this forums response are inferring they cannot deliver a service their website in writing states it can.

Edit: Just in case any changes are made to the website text, I have taken a screenshot as of today.

Capture.JPG

Regards,

Shane.

Munzee35
Level 1: Cadet

I totally agree.

Telstra - this is clearly misleading and I'm really disappointed in the 'lack' of functionality of this service.  

Kids don't browse internet pages any more - get with the times!  They are using App!

HappyKim
Level 1: Cadet

I totally agree this is misleading advertising to say that Telstra Mobile Protect will block all access to the internet but not actually block data that is not going through a browser. I want my money back as the whole reason I switched to Telstra was to access this functionality. I have suck hours and hours into the online chat help and phone help trying to work this out and noone has confessed that this is the problem. After many hours they finally connected me to the "technical team" who told me the reason data was not sucessfully blocked on my son's phone is that I had high level filtering turned on inadditon to internet time restrictions. I said this is ridiculous since if my son is young enough that I think high level filtering is appropriate then I definitely want the internet turned off overnight. Anyway I turned off filtering altogether and the internet time restrictions are not working. I want my money back.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now