CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
jenr58
Level 2: Rookie

Use same number on new phone

Answered

Not sure I am in the right section here?

My mother has a Telstra ZTE T20 Flip phone we are going to buy her an iphone. Is it possible for her to use the same phone number on the new iphone and transfer her contacts?

The sim card in her flip phone is larger than the iphone so I cant do it that way?

Thank you

Jenny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Use same number on new phone

When you buy the iPhone, go in to a Telstra Store (if you're not already there) and the consultant can associate the new SIM with your mother's existing number.

As far as transferring her contacts across from her old phone, that is going to be a manual job in this case. The T20 is a very basic phone and doesn't appear to have any way of copying the contacts across to another device, and if the contacts are stored on the SIM, then that won't help in this instance either as it will be a new SIM in the iPhone.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

When you buy the iPhone, go in to a Telstra Store (if you're not already there) and the consultant can associate the new SIM with your mother's existing number.

As far as transferring her contacts across from her old phone, that is going to be a manual job in this case. The T20 is a very basic phone and doesn't appear to have any way of copying the contacts across to another device, and if the contacts are stored on the SIM, then that won't help in this instance either as it will be a new SIM in the iPhone.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
jenr58

Thank you so are Telstra ok to do this for her if we dont buy the phone from them?
Jenny

The SIM swap, yes. Transferring the numbers, that depends on the store and how busy they are. Some very good (but quiet stores) will assist, but they are usually few and far between. At the very least, they should show you how to view the details on the old phone and enter them on the new phone.
jenr58

Thank you for your help I will get an appointment with our local store they are usually very good

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now