Jondoughty
Level 1: Cadet

iPhone 5c

My son recently upgraded from his iphone4s to an iPhone 5c, by doing so his data usage increased more than 10 fold. He is currently using in excess of 9gb per month and only uses the normal social media apps. His use of the phone has not changed between handsets, although the data being used certainly has. I have been advised that certain versions of the iOS chews data horrendously, is this true? If so how do I fix it? I am faced with a $900 bill and am not happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: iPhone 5c

hi there, firstly im not a Telstra rep so i cant do anything about your bill/plan etc.

The best way to check to see what is happening with the phone andwhy the data is being being chewed up so much is to head to Settings > Mobile\Cellular (seems to be different from phone to phone) and scroll down, in there it will give you all the apps installed and will show you ow much data each app is chewing up. for instantnce i can see for mine Facebook has used up 1.5GB of data since the install of iOS7.

technically yeah the new iOS is chewing up data like crazy but there are a few things you can do to help reduce the use of the data. 

First thing to do is go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn this off. This setting basically will keep updating apps even though you dont have them open at all which includes Maps which i know chews up large amounts or data. Secondly go to Settings > Privacy > Location Settings and go through the apps and turn off what you think is not needed, this will communicate with the devices GPS chip and in turn with the internet to locate where you are.

Other than that set up SMS to advise you how much of your data you are chewing up that you can do through the online Telstra account under Plans & Usage > Data Usage > Data Usage Alerts. Very good indication that will advise you when you have used 50% 80% and 100%.

Hope this helps.

Again im not a Telstra rep nor do i have anything to do with Telstra so i cant help with plans etc.

i work in IT and have had an iPhone since they were first introduced to Australia, so i just think i know my stuff when it comes to iPhones and iOS.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now