williams3112
Level 2: Rookie

iPhone XS eSIM

Is there any word is Telstra supports eSIM for the iPhone XS. 

Obviously it does with the Apple watch, through OneNumber" which i have in my Series 3, but the XS arrives tomorrow and I'll like to know more about the eSIM. 

I was told (and experienced) that the Watch eSIM doesn't work Overseas. If this is true for the iPhone too it will be pretty problematic. Of course, better enabled with the SIM slot for a local country data SIM. 

Or have I totally misunderstood the who eSIM thing...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
110 REPLIES 110
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: iPhone XS eSIM

Apple don't currently support the eSIM, they need to roll out a software update. It wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't work overseas due to the way that they operate. The eSIM could only work if you were connected to a carrier that also supports eSIMs (which rules out China as a whole).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
RugbyFan05
Level 1: Cadet

Here is a list of countries and their providers that support eSIM.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096

Unfortunately, Telstra is not listed.

AP1981

Hi Telstra,

Yes is there any update on Telstra receiving eSim support. I really want to pickup a dual sim iPhone X to separate business and personal contact. *fingers crossed* sometime soon?

Thanks!
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for coming through, AP1981. Last year we were one of the first Australian telcos to introduce eSIM technology for connected smart watches and we will introduce eSIM support for smartphones in the future as customer demand builds. - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

y0wie
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi MattyC - how does one show demand? I'd love to get dual sim so i can stop carrying two phones now!

Graeme_Chris
Level 4: Private Eye

I agree the Iphone is setup and we are waiting for esim's but sounds like Telstra is not set up and ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure there is a lot of demand for this service.

I want to ditch my work phone and just work off the single phone for both personal and work. 

Beachman

Apple rolled out the update a few weeks ago... I've already got an eSim (from GigSky) as well as a Telstra nano sim, problem solved!
Bobo84

Cut the BS and make it happen, every tradesman in Australia wants this right F’n now.
Carkel

So, the way I see it there is huge demand out there. Everyone at my work wants it. We all have work SIMs and can’t be bothered with two phones. Just make this bloody work. Telstra already stuffed up so bad in many ways, this is a good opportunity to come good and be the first one to offer something great! I’m sick and tired being dictated by our Telcos what I can do and can’t do. Just make it work!
chrishawkins

Consider my demand shown. I am living in the US but would love to keep my Australian number active.

BIBTEZ123

My demand is shown. It would be nice to set this up NOW, with my new phone, rather than stuff around later.
rtfmoz

Regina Mary:
Yes, the new iPhone XS & XS MAX has the built in feature of e-SIM. The only catch is,it's not yet activated to those devices in AUS. Right now there's only selected counties that has teh e-SIM

Telstra and Apple is still working on the arrangement about it. Smiley Happy

To MattyC:
Please advise an eta on eSIM capability now 12.1 has been released and consider me as an early adopter.
~ if you LAN, gamers will come ~
DoItNow

Yes another opportunity lost by Telstra. All the big telcos worldwide are making this technology hard to obtain because they are worried about a big churn rate from non contracted customers. It will come because half the world wants it and have been patiently waiting on Apple for 5 years. Only now to have resistance from the prividers. Shamedul corporate greed. Unfortunately I’m a Telstra shareholder.
JJH7

Just like the 3 big banks resisting Apple Pay

M3G4N5

Totally agree. The technology is there now, I have an iPhone XR which has the dual sim (eSim) capability and yet still have to carry two phones for personal and work because eSim isn’t yet supported in Australia. Please make this a priority Telstra!
zzjlamb

I’d like to register my demand for eSIM support too. Please get it sorted with Apple, Telstra.
Pablo111

If Telstra dont activate eSIM technology by the end of 2018 l will port my number to another carrier that already supports eSIM
The way l see it, l will have a dual sim iphone one way or another by January 2019 Smiley Happy
ricochet

Another indication of demand here - please allow eSIM for Telstra plans now that Apple supports it with iOS 12.1!

Everyone who has a separate work device right now will thank you for it 🙏
Jimbob4

Hi MattyC

I am in demand. Seperate personal and work but keep 1 iphone, both with Telstra!

mumbler

I am very keen on this. I'm about to go to Europe for 2 months. Having the telstra number in the eSim and getting local cards as required would be great. 

onsen

I want to convert my SIM to an eSIM as well, so consider this another vote from a customer for this feature.

The idea of introducing features "as customer demand builds" seems kind of insulting... do we have to beg for new features that other providers are offering or are about to start offering (in the case of Vodafone)?  Come on...

Jules456

Another custome here eagerly waiting in esim! Not so I can jump ship but so I don’t have to carry two phones!
P8T

iPhone XS eSIM

When is eSim coming
Support Team
Support Team

Hey P8T,

Last year we were one of the first Australian telcos to introduce eSIM technology for connected smart watches and we will introduce eSIM support for smartphones in the future as customer demand builds.

Thank you.
- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Saji2

Eagerly waiting for Telstra to introduce eSIM, Sure there is a big demand for it
Chancho

Here’s another vote for eSim. Would hate to consider other carriers if Telstra don’t come to the party.
Foodie101

Why is it that Telstra Constantly has the same comment. From the multiple post I read the public is asking for the esim and you are saying as demand builds. It’s not rocket science if several
People are asking and posting and following posts, doesn’t that indicate demand? Also if apple implimented it doesn’t that indicate demand? Come on Telstra get on the front foot don’t baffle is with excuses. If you made it available with the watch it means that you can make it available with the phone.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Well, obviously they will not be able to say anything else about if/when it will be released until it is publicly announced by them.

Based on the way they usually work, it will need to have been tested and confirmed to be ready first working with their network, they will need to obviously implement changes on their system and will no doubt require an agreement for eSIM with Apple. Once it is ready to go is when they will announce it if they follow their normal process... Until they make that announcement, I will be surprised if you see anything different as a response...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Chancho, no Australian carrier has announced support. So you'll be waiting if you want to change carriers still... Last I saw from Vodafone was that they weren't planning on doing it any time in the foreseeable future... Optus has said on their social media that they are not going to implement it at all. So far Telstra is the only one who has said more of a maybe...

Very few traditional carriers anywhere in the world have taken up the support of it so far.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Wazza747

As someone who travels away a lot consider this my indication of interest in esim. There are some amazing deals coming through overseas for esim and Telstra is missing the boat.
Harley16

I spoke to a Telstra customer service and they said that e-sim is available, but after reading online it appears it is not?

I travel for work frequently, and carrying 2 mobile phones is a major annoyance. I understand Vodafone is offering e-sim now, is Telstra planning on brining this in shortly? Just trying to get an idea of if I should move to Vodafone now, or wait a little longer.

Cheers

Vodafone has added it for customers in some European countries (Germany and Spain) but not for customers of Vodafone Australia (VHA).

From all public details I have seen from Vodafone staff on their forums and their social media they are not expecting it in the foreseeable future for VHA customers... Currently, none of the three Australian network owners has announced support, and Optus have straight out said they will not be supporting it. https://twitter.com/Optus/status/1040735107017924608

Currently, you can indeed use it, but only with one of the 15 supported international providers (from what is set shortly to be a total of 10 countries) and or with one of the two global providers. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT209096

Helpful Links

mojo10

Why on earth not just release the dual sim slot version in all countries?? Problem solved instantly. I don't give one damn about an esim. Its infinitely easier to pop a nano sim or two of my choosing into my phone and everything works. Its seems apple is just as complicit in this as the telcos. 

Why are more people not realizing this? There is no reason for an esim. Just give us a phone with 2 sim slots like in China. 

Does anyone know where I can but the dual slot iphone from in Australia and will it work in Australia?

You can buy it in Hong Kong (can't get it in Australia). It doesn't support LTE Band 28 (700MHz), so it won't have the best reception or speed. LTE Band 28 is probably the most important Band to have here.

As far as Apple goes, it is a case of "You will enjoy our innovations whether you can actually make use of them or not."
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MGuruji

Does GigSky esim work with Telstra SIM? Will this work while roaming overseas?

Thanks

It should work. It is just that you can't get a Telstra (or any other Australian carrier) service with an eSIM.
You need a physical SIM for your Telstra service, but if a carrier offers eSIM, you can load it onto your device and use that service (at least that is what they claim, I can't see why it wouldn't work - except in China which has banned eSIM services).
Brett30

Another vote here. I don’t want to carry my personal and work phone around. Telstra needs to activate this.
DouglasB

What I find weird is that GigSky and Truphone, global eSim providers, must be using Australian networks. So at least one of our networks can route data to an eSim. And because of Apple Watch we know they can route calls to an eSim. I presume they are holding out because they feel they will sell less phones.
Wazza747

FYI all. Just came back from Singapore and used an 3HK esim for data with my Telstra service for text and calls.... cost me $28 for the esim which is 10 days of unlimited data available on 20 countries and is non-consecutive over 180 days so I can use it for future trips until used up. And only for a few texts and calls while I was away costing less than $5....esim is amazing and thanks Telstra because you’ve held out on it I found a better option for my esim slot and have kept your sim in the physical slot...
TK18

When many developing counties does activated the feature of eSIM in iPhone XS or XS Max, why we should lag behind in the technology. Since the hardware (iPhone) support this, please expedite enabling the feature so that we can use the feature completely. (1 sim for work and 1 sim for personal)

Carkel

Hey Telstra,
we are still waiting for our eSIMs!
What is happening? Where are we at?
Give us something! It is super annoying and there is tons of demand in case you have not noticed. Let’s face it, it is just an excuse because you telcos don’t like the whole eSIM concept as it gives us consumers too many options to switch our providers easily. That is the reason you block it correct?! Just find a bloody way to lock us in somehow, I don’t care I just want to have that damn eSIM. Sick of swapping work and private SIMs and don’t want to carry two phones around.
Pingpong69

Seriously Telstra, we all want esim !
Esim_time

Just hurry up and do it!
Pjsting

Yep, add me to the demand list.
Level 20: Director

I think before eSim becomes activate, all the Telco's need to improve unauthorised porting procedures.

Presently, it's happening all too often.
Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
t3chdag

There is absolutely no technical reason why Telstra, Optus & Vodafone do not support esim's. Proof is the fact the esim cellular capable Apple watches, work brilliantly on the network.

The reason they WONT allow esim phones access, is because they dont want their customers roaming between competing telcos, just because a service they provide isnt up to scratch, too expensive or not suitable for their needs. esims are very easy to program and churning to another telco can be done literally by anyone with the knowledge.

Telcos will try anything to keep their customers. In Telstra's case, they do it by not allowing esims, eliminating altogether the ability to software churn away from them.

There is even an active court case in the USA, where AT&T and Verizon attempted to reprogram the esims, so they can be LOCKED to them permanently..

In summary, its all about keeping customers, making as much money out of them as possible and preventing them from going to another telco. Providing a decent service, including support for esims is a very distant second in their priority lists...

@t3chdag Good to know we can all count on you to know the inner technical workings of Telstra.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
t3chdag

@Ozmoz Sarcasm will get you everywhere. Don’t hang that claim to fame on me. I’m not even a Telstra customer, wouldn’t touch them with a 10 foot pole..I just happen to work with people who do indeed know the inner workings of the company..,If you knew half of what they have told me, you wouldn’t go near them either....Each to their own Smiley Happy
Pingpong69

Yes I agree, current authentication methods don’t work and aren’t secure. If porting they should call your phone and ask for a verbal confirmation that you are wanting to leave your current provider before any number is released.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now