Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Boston_Red_Sox
Level 2: Rookie

Re: iPhone XS eSIM

New information is now emerging that this issue is like a case of the big 4 banks holding out on Apple pay like they did because they wanted to only negotiate with Apple as one group and the ACCC said no. In this case carriers such as boost mobile are now applying pressure on the big three carriers within Australia i.e. Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone to immediately support and offer esim in the devices.

The Telcos are currently holding out under the guise of "there isn't a technology standard in place being used by all devices or all devices made by each manufacturer for using esim" This is not the truth, the truth is Telstra and the other two don't want people using their SIM cards as the one they use for calls and then buying say a kogan some for data because they would be missing out on $$$.

However the ACCC has applications before it to apply pressure and then force the three major Australian telcos to support and offer esim effective immediate
Highlighted
t3chdag
Level 1: Cadet

Off topic a bit, but responding to your comment, CBA are introducing Apple Pay as we speak..Should be available by the end of January to all CBA customers...  

Boston_Red_Sox

probably to distract customers from the heat they recently took at the Royal Commission and probably because they got to a point where they couldn't handle auto dialers calling them every day demanding Apple Pay hahahaha
Boston_Red_Sox

In this case carriers such as boost mobile are now applying pressure on the big three carriers within Australia i.e. Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone to immediately support and offer esim in the devices.

The Telcos are currently holding out under the guise of "there isn't a technology standard in place being used by all devices or all devices made by each manufacturer for using esim" This is not the truth, the truth is Telstra and the other two don't want people using their SIM cards as the one they use for calls and then buying say a kogan some for data because they would be missing out on $$$.

However the ACCC has applications before it to apply pressure and then force the three major Australian telcos to support and offer esim effective immediate
Boston_Red_Sox

100% correct backed up by an article recently in the AFR
Carkel
Level 3: Gumshoe

I really hope so. It is bloody frustrating as a consumer to be stuffed around like this ny the Telcos.
Pingpong69

Fingers crossed they are forced in to supporting esim. Don’t really want to go back to android for dual sim but would also like the ability to have both a Telstra and Optus sim in so I mostly always have reception.

Cba supporting Apple Pay will be nice too.

ABB8

I'd like to indicate support for 'demand'. I bought the new iPad and paid for the eSIM feature specifically so I can link it with my Telstra phone contract. But I'm still waiting...
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you are wanting it to allow you to access both your phone and iPad on the same phone number then it is unlikely that it will be able to do that anytime in the near future. Yes they allow it on watches but for seperate actual devices that isn’t likely.

There is also going to be a matter of working out the regulatory restrictions around it as well.

It is more that this will allow people to use their electronic sim instead of having to use a physical sim, so just replacing the sim not duplicating it.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

AV8ER

Telstra get on board eSIM tehcnology..... +1 for demand here. Cant wait for this to happen and stop carrying a personal and work phone!

JasonT1

That’s rediculous! How can demand build if you do not provide it to us!? I have been waiting for this feature to come out since the IPhone Xs came out.

Please release this ASAP! I have to carry 2 bloody phones around which in 2019 is absolutely obsurd!
saltai

+1 for demand!!

Eric_The_Red

Hi Matthew. How does Telstra measure customer demand for eSim?
I wanted to sign up for an iPhone XS today specifically for the eSim. Was told only after spending over 1/2 hour with a sales person that eSim does not work yet. Then the consiktanted blamed in on Apple, saying Apple has not made the feature available in Australia. I called Apple who advised the feature is available from their end.
Called Telstra again asking for an approximate ETA for eSim support, which was painful, wasted more time and resulted in no answer whatsoever.
During neither conversation did I get the impression that the consultants were recording my interest. In fact one of them did not know how to spell eSim, let alone what it is for.
Can you please record my interest?
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the question @Eric_The_Red I can assure you that Telstra area aware that eSIM is in demand and working to roll this out in the future. 

There is regrettably no avenue to register customer interest at this stage. Please do let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more