Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Pingpong69
Level 2: Rookie

Re: iPhone XS eSIM

So even if you could reprogram your esim to churn from your current provider, ultimately if you’re contracted in you’ll be penalised the same way you are now if you port your number the traditional way.

So in no way will esim make churning easier, if you’re in contract you will pay the fee to leave early.
Level 21: Augmented

@Pingpong69 wrote:
Yes I agree, current authentication methods don’t work and aren’t secure. If porting they should call your phone and ask for a verbal confirmation that you are wanting to leave your current provider before any number is released.

@Pingpong69 When I went from Telstra to their little brother Belong, Belong sent me an SMS code to my Telstra phone so that I had to input that code in the sign-up procedures otherwise the porting wouldn't happen.

They all should do that as a minimum. 

Then there is the issue of what to do if you loose your mobile and want to port over to someone else. 

I would like to be able to log into my account online, regardless of carrier, and activate a 'lock function' so no porting can ever happen unless I unlock it manually.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!

@Pingpong69 wrote:

So in no way will esim make churning easier, if you’re in contract you will pay the fee to leave early.

@Pingpong69 Well it would in the respect that you wouldn't have to chase down a SIM before you can churn. Which then opens up the other questions, as in, will they also offer churns bonuses. Like how you can often get SIMs for half price etc for the first month.

Main thing I like about eSIM is if you loose your phone now they can pop it out and put it in another phone and use up all the credits etc. With eSIM they won't be able to do that If the phone is locked.

GDUBBZ253
Level 1: Cadet

You can add me to the DEMAND list please Matty .. 👌
Exec

I'd like an esim as well please Telstra

Boston_Red_Sox

New information is now emerging that this issue is like a case of the big 4 banks holding out on Apple pay like they did because they wanted to only negotiate with Apple as one group and the ACCC said no. In this case carriers such as boost mobile are now applying pressure on the big three carriers within Australia i.e. Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone to immediately support and offer esim in the devices.

The Telcos are currently holding out under the guise of "there isn't a technology standard in place being used by all devices or all devices made by each manufacturer for using esim" This is not the truth, the truth is Telstra and the other two don't want people using their SIM cards as the one they use for calls and then buying say a kogan some for data because they would be missing out on $$$.

However the ACCC has applications before it to apply pressure and then force the three major Australian telcos to support and offer esim effective immediate
t3chdag

Off topic a bit, but responding to your comment, CBA are introducing Apple Pay as we speak..Should be available by the end of January to all CBA customers...  

Boston_Red_Sox

probably to distract customers from the heat they recently took at the Royal Commission and probably because they got to a point where they couldn't handle auto dialers calling them every day demanding Apple Pay hahahaha
Boston_Red_Sox

In this case carriers such as boost mobile are now applying pressure on the big three carriers within Australia i.e. Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone to immediately support and offer esim in the devices.

The Telcos are currently holding out under the guise of "there isn't a technology standard in place being used by all devices or all devices made by each manufacturer for using esim" This is not the truth, the truth is Telstra and the other two don't want people using their SIM cards as the one they use for calls and then buying say a kogan some for data because they would be missing out on $$$.

However the ACCC has applications before it to apply pressure and then force the three major Australian telcos to support and offer esim effective immediate
Boston_Red_Sox

100% correct backed up by an article recently in the AFR
Carkel
Level 3: Gumshoe

I really hope so. It is bloody frustrating as a consumer to be stuffed around like this ny the Telcos.
Pingpong69

Fingers crossed they are forced in to supporting esim. Don’t really want to go back to android for dual sim but would also like the ability to have both a Telstra and Optus sim in so I mostly always have reception.

Cba supporting Apple Pay will be nice too.

ABB8

I'd like to indicate support for 'demand'. I bought the new iPad and paid for the eSIM feature specifically so I can link it with my Telstra phone contract. But I'm still waiting...
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you are wanting it to allow you to access both your phone and iPad on the same phone number then it is unlikely that it will be able to do that anytime in the near future. Yes they allow it on watches but for seperate actual devices that isn’t likely.

There is also going to be a matter of working out the regulatory restrictions around it as well.

It is more that this will allow people to use their electronic sim instead of having to use a physical sim, so just replacing the sim not duplicating it.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

AV8ER

Telstra get on board eSIM tehcnology..... +1 for demand here. Cant wait for this to happen and stop carrying a personal and work phone!

JasonT1

That’s rediculous! How can demand build if you do not provide it to us!? I have been waiting for this feature to come out since the IPhone Xs came out.

Please release this ASAP! I have to carry 2 bloody phones around which in 2019 is absolutely obsurd!
JasonT1

Demand is here! Please release!
saltai

+1 for demand!!

Eric_The_Red

Hi Matthew. How does Telstra measure customer demand for eSim?
I wanted to sign up for an iPhone XS today specifically for the eSim. Was told only after spending over 1/2 hour with a sales person that eSim does not work yet. Then the consiktanted blamed in on Apple, saying Apple has not made the feature available in Australia. I called Apple who advised the feature is available from their end.
Called Telstra again asking for an approximate ETA for eSim support, which was painful, wasted more time and resulted in no answer whatsoever.
During neither conversation did I get the impression that the consultants were recording my interest. In fact one of them did not know how to spell eSim, let alone what it is for.
Can you please record my interest?
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the question @Eric_The_Red I can assure you that Telstra area aware that eSIM is in demand and working to roll this out in the future. 

There is regrettably no avenue to register customer interest at this stage. Please do let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Pingpong69

Please can Australia’s fastest mobile network hurry up and support esim!!!

Any ETA at all ?
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

There is no ETA.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

nd4383

Has customer demand built enough yet? Telstra seem to copy and paste this response more than once a day on various social media platforms. This is an empty promise most people know is just full of greed. It’s practices from telcos like this that does nothing for brand loyalty. Grow up Telstra!!!
nd4383

Has customer demand built enough yet? Telstra seem to copy and paste the same response more than once a day on various social media platforms. This is an empty promise most people know is just full of greed. It’s practices from telcos like this that does nothing for brand loyalty. Grow up Telstra!!!
Carkel

Jimmy,
I can tell you what my concern is! Telstra should stop stuffing us customers around and stop blocking eSIM. It is now available in so many countries around the world and we all know Telstra is atm refusing to offer the new eSIM service for iPhones. I’m sick and tired of the big Telco monopoly and their games. I’m tired of the lame excuses you offer us customers in regards to the future availability of eSIM. I clearly had enough of you guys calling the shots. I will go with whoever offers it first and I won’t sign up for plans anymore.
Thanks for nothing Jimmy!
Highlighted
Andy_T

I travel a lot and often have a second SIM in for the local area.  Having an eSIM would also allow me to keep in Contact with my Business contacts in Aus.  So please roll out the eSIM asap.  Thanks

Pingpong69

The wait for Esim from Telstra has taken too long!. With 2 Phone contracts and Home internet +Landline +Foxtel up this year, I will be taking my business else where if Telstra doesn't come good on it's promise to bring esim to the Aussie market.

@Pingpong69 wrote:
The wait for Esim from Telstra has taken too long!. With 2 Phone contracts and Home internet +Landline +Foxtel up this year, I will be taking my business else where if Telstra doesn't come good on it's promise to bring esim to the Aussie market.

@Pingpong69 So which Australian carrier has eSIM for the mobile that you are going to go to?

Telstra has recently enabled eSIM for windows pc devices so it does look like they are getting closer. There would be enormous amount of worked required at the back-end for it all to come together so unfortunately, people just have to wait.

Graeme_Chris
Level 4: Private Eye

This is beyond a joke funny how a lot of overseas telcos have managed to get esim up and running but our big telcos can’t!!! Still working out how to rip us off more like.
Pingpong69

The point would be even without esim available else where, to stop giving Telstra my business Smiley Happy
Carkel

Yeah right, and next thing you want us to believe in Santa! Poor Telcos don’t get their act together and we need to give them more time right?! You still don’t get it, they have no interest in doing so. To offer it on the PCs is a bonus to them, but it is not of any benefit to them offering it on mobiles. They want us to buy second handsets, they want us to be on plans and they want us to not change providers frequently. As for the timeframe, have you ever checked around the rest of the world? Don’t tell me our Telcos are not advanced enough to catch up or simply too busy, or don’t have the resources. Oh yes right, they are trying really hard and we need to wait right?
b1urrybird

Adding demand for eSIM for the same reason as everybody else - two phones (both on Telstra) that can be consolidated into one.

Now that Optus has this as an available feature is this something we can expect sooner? This quarter perhaps?
Support Team
Support Team

Hey b1urrybird,

Nothing has been announced as yet in relation to being able to use the e-SIM. Once there is something announced then we will let all of our customers know through our media outlets. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

BartG
BartG

Harley16

So apparently Telstra have started ‘unofficially’ supporting esim. A bunch have people have got it on iPhone and the process has been published on whirlpool forums:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2763206?p=2#r58567445
Harley16

More info: apparently Telstra are waiting until June to ‘officially’ support esim to line it up with the release of 5G. So either use the backdoor method to get it now, or move to Optus
TravelTime

Hi Telstra customer demand for e-sim is at a high. Stop dragging the chain.

Concerned share holder
Smartypants71

OK so Now the Opposition with a capital "O" have activated the E Sim will Telstra follow?
(Google it and check the Apple Site)

Hope so-my current Telstra contract runs out in July.

SM
Prasath

It has been a long since this response in Nov 2018, it is 30th April 2019 now - Optus has implemented eSIM since end of March. Sorry Telstra, you are not Number 1 to the eSIM game. "As customer demand builds" you say and from the hundreds, maybe thousands, I say the demand is overwhelming! At least make an announcement that Telstra is already testing it and will be implementing in due course.
Cjsims3000

Is there any further update on this? I see that Optus are now supporting Esim.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Cjsims3000

Initially eSIMs in smartphones are likely to be relevant in markets where different network capabilities encourage people to use multiple providers.

In the Australian market, eSIM will grow in importance as the device vendors start to offer the technology as standard and the carriers uniformly support the technology in their systems, making it easier to activate new services and introducing fully on line activation options when the situation allows.

We will introduce eSIM support for smartphones in the future as customer demand builds. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Graeme_Chris
Level 4: Private Eye

What are you on about!!!! People want it now.
TravelTime

Demand is here NOW Optus is already offering eSims.
Don’t drag the chain on this Telstra or you customers will disappear.
frownface

> carriers uniformly support the technology in their systems

What on earth are you on about? If optus has already taken the first step, then telstra is the one that needs to move to keep things "uniform". Or are you guys hoping that optus pull the plug on it?

Are you not aware that telstra's main competitor has already released this to market?

frownface

I mean look at this.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT209096

Australia is the first country listed (because of spelling) and what does it show? OPTUS.

This is FREE ADVERTISING for OPTUS, to anyone in the world who clicks through the esim details on any of the product pages for the new iphones. This isn't the optus or telstra website, this is on the APPLE website.

This is a page anyone would go to before travelling to see which local carrier supports esim.

I cannot understand why telstra wouldn't want to be listed there, it's straight up embarrassing.
wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

What pisses me off is that CBA Business cards are not supported, just private accounts!!!
I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
y54

Thanks for the share frownface, looks like time to switch!

Seems like the only way to show demand is to use our feet! Unfortunately the 28,000 or so views of this thread don't seem to indicate any demand.

frownface

Pretty much my thinking too..

I have to carry around 2 phones, one for work and one personal, tired of it and want to consolidate to 1 phone. If there's no movement from telstra, i'll just have to vote with my feet!

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now