njm01
Level 3: Gumshoe

iPhone Xs Dual Sim

Is there confirmation with regards to the iPhone Xs that Telstra will allow the dual sim capability? I have two Telstra postpaid numbers and would like to use them both in the one iPhone.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
43 REPLIES 43
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: iPhone Xs Dual Sim

They are not Dual SIM devices as in they can hold 2 SIM cards, they will hold 1 nano-SIM and the other SIM is an eSIM (like an Apple Watch).

Unless they way eSIMs work in Australia changes, then you won't be able to use the iPhone in the manner you wish (on any carrier).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
njm01

Interesting - via the Live Chat approximately 10 minutes ago (whilst trying to obtain an answer) I've been told that I should be able to use as stated due to the fact that both sims are on Telstra (with one being converted to an eSim). I'm aware that this is probably incorrect as the info is still so new, but kind of annoying that Live Chat rep's are giving this kind of info out as "yep, absolutely you will be able to do this" (as stated in the chat transcript)

If they are indeed going to allow eSims to work in this manner then that is great. Hopefully they will make a definitive statement when the preSale starts.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
QuietJJ
Level 2: Rookie

I hope they do!
If not the Chinese model supports 2 physical SIM cards, but doesn’t support LTE band 28 that is used by Telstra and Optus.
So you would be guaranteed dual sim, but might get slower connection speeds as you won’t have the band 3,7,28 aggregate available.

Think before you speak!
Beachman

I was speaking to a Singapore executive the other day on a flight and whose Company owns Optus. He told me that they'll be introducing eSims very soon. They hope to get a lot of business as they'll be the only carrier in Australia to allow them. Hopefully, they will make the announcement in the next few days. So don't sign up to any plans yet.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Everyone,

We’ll better understand capability closer to launch, at which point we’ll know things like whether you’ll be able to transfer a second Telstra number to your device.

It’s unlikely we’ll be supporting other Dual SIMs at this stage.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

CableGriM

I would love for this to occur. I have just been told I'm being given a work phone and I hate the idea of having two phones. I would like very much to swap my personal Telstra Sim to an eSim and then slide in my work Sim (which is also telstra) into the device. This would be amazing to have my personal / business calls and messages coming through to the one device. 

If you make this happen before the other carriers I'm sure you will score heaps of business. Telstra obviously allow eSim's on the Apple Watch LTE and it works well, is this very different?

Fingers crossed for an announcement very soon (hopefully on launch day but doubtful).

Smiley Happy

Support Team
Support Team

Last year we were one of the first Australian telcos to introduce eSIM technology for connected smart watches and we will introduce eSIM support for smartphones in the future as customer demand builds. 

Definitely keep an ear out though @CableGriM , it's probably a good idea to sign up to updates from Telstra Exchange so we keep you updated on Telstra news too. Just scroll to the bottom of the page & enter your email address & click 'Sign me up'. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Championi
Level 1: Cadet

I would like this support too. It would be very useful to have a business and personal number. Telstra could be getting 2 connections for each phone.

I seriously doubt that the eSIM capability will be available at launch. In Apple's documentation it states that it will be implemented in a future software update, so that is saying that iOS 12 is not even capable of utilizing the eSIM yet.

Until Apple enables the functionality within iOS, the whole Dual SIM concept in the new iPhones is just marketing hype. Telstra's system could support the functionality and you still wouldn't be able to use it.
QuietJJ

We certainly know it’s not going to be available at release, Apple have made that clear.
This however does not prevent Telstra or any of the other 2 providers from confirming if they will or won’t support it.
They know their networks abilities and would already be discussing it internally.
It would just be good if they announced their intentions either way as I know it will have an impact on people’s purchasing decisions..
Think before you speak!

You can already get a dual SIM phone that works in Australia, just not an iPhone, so you could send a message to Apple that they should have their products working at full capability at launch by not buying an iPhone. They could have had dual SIM working at launch by using the approach that they have had to take in China, where they have a two SIMs policy (pun intended), rather than producing a hybrid product that isn't ready for use.
speedymatt

Thanks Shannon. As someone who already has two post-paid accounts with Telstra, one for work one for personal - it would be a real win to be able to have one or other number on the eSIM. For now - excited to be able to use OneNumber for three new Watch Series 3 coming to our family - matched to their three Telstra mobiles. That's already announced, yes?
QuietJJ

I seriously doubt the Australian carriers would support the sale of a proper dual sim iPhone.
Think before you speak!

They support the use of dual SIM Android phones. Don't sell them very often, but their use is OK.
QuietJJ

And that is why I said support the sale of a true dual sim iPhone. Considering that the majority of iPhone sales are through carriers on contracts, Apple needs the support of the carriers.

@Jupiter wrote:
They support the use of dual SIM Android phones. Don't sell them very often, but their use is OK.

The carriers have no say in supporting the use of a true dual sim phone. They can only support or not support their sale.

Think before you speak!
pkerry12

Apple released a document on how to program you esim with any carrier

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT209044

@pkerry12 your carrier still needs to support eSIMs otherwise it still won't work.
ricochet

The iOS 12.1 update which is currently in beta enables this eSIM functionality for the iPhone XS / Max.

I hope we can see support for it from Telstra once that update is publicly released to enable the great dual SIM uses discussed above!
speed_tech

I now have an iPhone XR and with iOS 12.1 released today, I have just been advised by 24x7 chat that all you have to do is take your sim card and phone to any Telstra store and they can turn on the mobile plan capability. so we shall see.
RugbyFan05

Hey Shannon,

It's been a month since your last post about eSIM support. Surely Telstra should know by now if they are going to support eSIM on the new iPhone's and now the new iPad Pro's. With today's iOS12.1 update, the eSIM feature is now active and not one peep from Telstra. If Vodafone or Optus offer it first, I will be porting my number from Telstra for the first time in 20 years.

Here is the current list of the Telco's worldwide that support Apple's eSIM
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096
RugbyFan05

I would be very surprised if Telstra now supports eSIM. I think the 24x7 chat person is either misinformed or lying to you because I would expect that Telstra will put out a press release first, and Apple has not updated the Carrer list that supports eSIM (link below).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096
QuietJJ

How did you go?

Think before you speak!

Even if Telstra was supporting eSIM capability, I would expect them to keep it quiet for the first month or so. Support with the Apple Watch was problematic, the Samsung Watch was better, but I would expect a "soft launch" of the service so it was taken up slowly, rather than in a rush (which could result in a flood of problem reports if things don't work properly).
AndrewJG

Like CableGRIM, I'd like to express interest in the ability to combine my work and personal phones into one device. Preferably my device.

Is there any update on this capability?
Jman94

According to Telstra’s statement I found online posted yesterday compatibility will come with further demand. I contacted Apple about it today also and they said many businesses within Australia are demanding Telstra to bring support for dual sim to iphone as they expected it to be available from release of original iPhone X so it can’t be long now till it is but additionally I was told by Apple the feature was only released in Australia 2 weeks ago and it needed the iOS 12.1 update to make it compatible in Australia so software speaking compatibility is allready there. The wait now is on Telstra! So hurry up Telstra as I would rather take my business with Telstra than an overseas eSIM provider/carrier so I can use dual sim in Australia. And I refuse to buy a 2nd iphone to have 2 seperate sims/phones. This is just outdated. We need to catchup to the rest of the world which allready had capability with iPhone X release, especially as the main provider for Australia; supposedly the nation leading the path forward to better future! Anyway I’ll wait till it’s available rather than change carriers!
Jman94

In addition I’d like to acknowledge that yes eSIM is available with Telstra as I use it for my Apple Watch but after seeing a Telstra store and doing my own research on Telstra website I have been made aware that at present Telstra’s one number for eSIM support is only available/limited to Apple Watch only and not iphone.
CableGriM

Any updates Telstra?

Instead of waiting for customer demand to increase, how about you lead the market and allow us to use the technology in the phones we have on contract with you.

I’m being forced to take a work phone, and I really don’t need to be carrying two phones around when the phone I have should do the job.

Please show us that you value your customers and that we aren’t just a number. Because the whole when the demand increases we will look into it line reeeeeeeaaaaallllllllly makes me feeling like a valued customer.

You have the esim technology there for the Apple Watch so it’s not brand new tech, just allow it on the new iphones and iPads. I realise it needs some tweaking but its over 2 months now.

Also if you start pushing esim’s to customers instead of a physical SIM cards, there is a cost saving there for Telstra. Maybe only a few cents but it will add up over time.

ricochet

Please add this eSIM support now that iOS 12.1 allows it.

Telstra has a well-earned reputation for being on the cutting edge of technology, not waiting around while Vodafone rolls out support first...
Jules456

I’d like to register my interest in an esim for my IPhone XS max. Fingers crossed Telstra hears the interest which is out there.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Jules456; Please lodge your interesting in Apple product launches here -  http://tel.st/tzqfw - and we'll let you know when we're making esims available. Appreciate your patience, let us know if there's anything else we can do. - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Chancho

Cmon Telstra, give us eSim
Allen____

Hi MattyC

Their is no specific button on the page for esim.

Can we have this added to the page so we can be a bit more specific of what we are expressing interest for.

Thanks

Harley16

I spoke to a Telstra customer service and they said that e-sim is available, but after reading online it appears it is not?

I travel for work frequently, and carrying 2 mobile phones is a major annoyance. I understand Vodafone is offering e-sim now, is Telstra planning on brining this in shortly? Just trying to get an idea of if I should move to Vodafone now, or wait a little longer.

Cheers

Vodafone doesn't offer eSIM yet in Australia. Just the Apple Watch version.
Allen____

Hi Support
Their is still no option on your page about esim
http://tel.st/tzqfw
Can we please have this added
njm01

New Year but unfortunately no new Telstra. So disappointing that we're still waiting for this access despite the clear desire from customers for this feature!
StarvinMarvin

Yes - please register my desire for dual sim and not just for prepaid plans like they are doing in the USA.
PaulConway89

Demand is high enough now for dusk sun technology. The hardware is there, you telcos are simply holding us back from using it. Get on with it and give the consumers what they want.
My work place alone has 39 people who all want to be able to use the dual sim tech for work and personal phones - all of whom are on Telstra
PaulConway89

Dual sim - iPhone WE WANT IT

Telstra - we want dual sim technology NOW! I bought the iPhone XS upon its release and still can’t use its dual sim features, whereas there are plenty of other countries who can!
We have the tech, why aren’t you releasing it yet? The demand is here!!
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Dual sim - iPhone WE WANT IT

At some point in the future the feature will most likely be released.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 21: Augmented

Personally, I think that Australian and other telcos are prudently careful about adopting this new technology, AFAIK, only supported by Apple and Google at this moment. And yes, I am aware of Samsung's implementation of it in watch, but that's significantly different story...
I, personally again, would not trust at this moment the technology that is locked to two companies only. There are enough Microsoft bashers around who spit and vomit on anything locked to Microsoft, but seems that everyone is happy to get hooked to Apple and Google... Not me...
@PaulConway89, 39 people at your workplace is not by far anything statistically significant within population of Australia...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Dual sim - iPhone WE WANT IT

Personally, I think that Australian and other telcos are prudently careful about adopting this new technology, AFAIK, only supported by Apple and Google at this moment. And yes, I am aware of Samsung's implementation of it in watch, but that's significantly different story...
I, personally again, would not trust at this moment the technology that is locked to two companies only. There are enough Microsoft bashers around who spit and vomit on anything locked to Microsoft, but seems that everyone is happy to get hooked to Apple and Google... Not me...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now