CrowdSupport®
Rashman
Level 2: Rookie

iPhone new configuration in software limit the use of the physical dual SIM card function??!

Guys I have owned a iPhone that has a dual physical sim tray (much like Samsung Galaxy 9 Note) that I purchased in Hong Kong this time last year which worked perfectly alongside the Optus SIM card. Well that was until very recently both carriers must have changed their configuration settings to limit the use of these dual SIM card phones??

Now or as of today only one sim appears to work thereby negating the dual sim functionality- can carriers restrict the phone to one service provider? Apple here cannot seem to help simply referring back to the carrier.  If this is true (I am hoping my inference here based on my experience is a one off hardware fault. I am wondering if anyone else in Australian is facing similar issues. I know in the US the same happened to me with this phone recently.  

back to the this  If so, this should be a matter for the ACCC - as the issue lies where both essentially are oligopoly players much like banks / large grocery store - where players who control the market tend to abuse their power - in this case it would be to limit the use of the second physical sim?? Has anyone else been facing this issue. I am actually hoping that I am wrong and the Apple software updates have not kept up with the technology marvels that the telcos are rolling out. Anyways hoping for some much needed insight!

Rash

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Re: iPhone new configuration in software limit the use of the physical dual SIM card function??!

Hi @Rashman, great question! I can confirm that our post-paid devices are unlocked by default, and I've had a look to confirm there's no specific information contrary to this regarding dual-SIM devices. The inference is that at this time there shouldn't be any reason you cannot use multiple provider services in a Telstra-provided post-paid handset Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 22: Superhuman

Re: iPhone new configuration in software limit the use of the physical dual SIM card function??!

Can you clarify that 

you purchased your phone overseas. If that's correct you would not only have different carrier specified operating software, but each network you have connected to eg HK, Optus and Telstra plus how many US networks...as a minimum... each would have installed carrier software.....only Apple would know what idiosyncrasies you now experience. It seems rather litigious to be talking ACCC without knowing the true facts. 

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Rashman

Thanks I am very pleased to be wrong on this point and after popping into one of your stores obtained a new nano sim and swapped trays for Optus and Telstra - and until 10 minutes ago they appear to be working now!!

I really would not recommend the physical dual sim solution with Apple as after 12 months it has been playing and for some reason keeps dropping Telstra and not Optus?? I have also have the Samsung Galaxy note 9 - the latter phone is more robust dealing with both physical SIMs and better optionality. The big issue is that this phone is quite rare as it is not even sold in the USA and therefore the support for the variation is virtually non-existent anywhere but HK / China.  Whereas the Samsung has way better support and deals with the dual physical  SIM in a much better way.  

As I stated I am glad I am wrong and am glad that is not the case as I quite often use Telstra Sim with a host country sim for data whilst traveling overseas which makes things so much more better when it comes to data usage!!

Rash
Rashman

You got me at a emotional state / there is no way I would even spent any time in litigation with a listed company :-)

The phone in question is almost exactly like the one you purchase elsewhere in the world including the full LTE functionality - in HK i use SmarTone (not sure about mainland China but Hong Kong is in line 1st tier countries in hardware specifications  - I was achieving incredible speeds some 12 months ago which was way more than Telstra and Optus.  In the USA I had no issues pairing Telstra with a pre paid sim from AT&T and Sprint.  In the UK it worked with O2 and Three. The carrier usually transmit the configuration settings for the iPhone XS Max as single sim phones and the settings appear to work - the only difference is that locally on the phone you have additional options of assigning sims for various purposes (eg data / voice ). 

Rash

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now