CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Alanray64
Level 1: Cadet

unknown text message

Just a general question. I received a text today saying simply "should start thinking about what you want for Father's Day". I replied with out thinking saying "who is this?". Since then I had no response. 

Now thinking, have I gone and messed something up, put myself on someones radar? The number in question was +61 477 022 971. I couldn't see anything overly negative on any boards, I did post about it on one of them, however now I am just unsure if I may have opened the door to someone.

Thanks in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Support Team
Support Team

Re: unknown text message

Hey Alanray64, Welcome to CrowdSupport.

Interesting question. I tend to err on the side of paranoia when it comes to my personal information so can relate to what you are concerned about.

IF it was just a text, you've probably opened yourself up to nothing worse than receiving more of these alerts, assuming it's a rogue operator, by confirming your mobile number is active. I'd actually really be surprised if someone was monitoring for incoming messages on the other end of that number. If it wasn't a rogue operator, there should be unsubscribe instructions within the text itself or via a link within the message somewhere.

If it wasn't "just a text," well, I've read some scary stories of late of what people have managed to do with the content of messages sent to/from devices. I can really only suggest that you monitor your phone for strange behaviour, keep an eye on your data usage etc. to try and catch anything that would indicate there is something going on. What to do from there would be determined by the type of activity you detect.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 21: Augmented

@Alanray64 I'm with @Big_Dan here.

These scams text a series of numbers waiting for a reply. Once they get one they then know that the number is active.

Be careful of any further links in an SMS from people you don't know.

I tend to get mine in a burst, then its quiet for a couple of months. 

Nothing you can do now except be diligent.  The S9 I have has call protection, so allot of spam calls I might get are already flagged as the call comes in. 

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Alanray64

Thanks for that. it was replied in green text so guess that is standard SMS rates, don't think they can play with call rates on a reply?

Still, I will watch what I do going forward.

Thanks for the reply

Alanray64

Note to self: Watch for unsolicited Links.. I'm berating myself I replied as I was distracted at the time and was not thinking.. Simply due to the fact my family are already added as contacts and, unless I have some kids out there I am unaware of (really not!), it should never have been an unknown number texting.

Thanks for the advice

@Alanray64 wrote:

Note to self: Watch for unsolicited Links.. I'm berating myself I replied as I was distracted at the time and was not thinking.. Simply due to the fact my family are already added as contacts and, unless I have some kids out there I am unaware of (really not!), it should never have been an unknown number texting.

Thanks for the advice

@Alanray64 Believe me, I know exactly how you feel.

I got caught out a few months ago on the PC. I put Dan Murphy's in the google search, saw the first one at the top with an ad and Dan Murphy's domain so clicked on that.

Was then shown the normal web pages I'm used to, but a pop-up for a competition, that looked like their normal ones they do (Albeit they don't use pop-ups). So starting filling that in, click next, then next, and then was offered to go in the draw to with an iphone.... then it hit me..... oh noooooooooooooo!

Turned out the domain was hijacked in google ads. So got in touch with Dan Murphy web manager who said "Oh we can't do anything about that" which naturally I went totally nuclear on her for lack of web knowledge, when she is meant to look after that stuff.

So I then got in touch with google ad words who removed the ad and barred the user. I then tracked down his web hosting, got him barred there, and tracked down his domain registrar and got his domain barred.

So its so easy how these things can happen when you are not paying attention of what you are doing. So copped allot of spams for a month or two after that, in email and mobile. It was just lucky I used a hotmail address so I ended up barring everyone who wasn't in my allowed address list. If it was my main domain I use I would've been really peeved.

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now