CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
aberrada
Level 2: Rookie

unlock Iphone 4

Answered

I have an Iphone 4 locked on Telstra and i want to unlock it.

Is it possible to do it. I'm not in australia.

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: unlock Iphone 4

Customers can now unlock iphones using our new online iPhone unlocking tool for personal customers. To do this from an iPhone device or your computer go to the iPhone online unlocking tool telstra.com/unlock. (Available to post-paid customers only).  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Hi Aberrada,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

Here is the article on how to unlock your iphone and the great news is that it's FREE Smiley Happy this is one way that Telstra is changing.

link: http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2010/10/15/telstra-removes-unlock-fee-for-apple-iphone-for-jet-settin...

You will need your mobile, iPhone serial and IMEI numbers handy, then call +61 1800 474 663, and tell them you want to unlock your phone.

You will also need the most up to date itunes software on your computer for the unlocking process. After you call Telstra and unlock your Iphone you will need to connect it to Itunes it will promt you to finish the unlocking processes. you may need to restore the phone or check for updates while you have a non Telstra SIM in the phone for itunes to promot you to unlock the phone.

Hope this helps

- C

If you've found a  then don't forget to mark that post accordingly

Kudos  Recognise someone for their help by clicking this button on their post

Stick around great things are happening in telstra tier.png

If you've found a  then don't forget to mark that post accordingly

Kudos  Recognise someone for their help by clicking this button on their post

Stick around great things are happening in Moderator

Level 23: Superhero

Also be aware that the unlocking may not be instant. So even if you try and sync to unlock after hanging up with Telstra, it may not come up, for some time.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi all,

Couple of things to point out. Your best bet to call Telstra from overseas is +61439125109. This number puts you in touch with our International Roaming Helpdesk and they can help you from there. Calls to this number on a Telstra mobile while roaming overseas are charged at a flat fee (22.73 cents GST-free for Post Paid and maximum 50c GST- free for Pre Paid), calls to the International Roaming Helpdesk from a non-Telstra device or telephone service will incur normal international telephone charges.

Also, it is only iPhones purchased as a part of a Post Paid service that have no unlocking fee. If the iPhone was purchased as a Pre-Paid service then normal unlocking fees do apply. It does mention this in the Exchange blog referenced above, but I just wanted to make this clear.

Cheers,

Ben B
Telstra Digital Sales & Service

Have you checked out the Community Guidelines or the Community Knowledge Base lately?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@aparnaa wrote:

Hi,

Yes, Of course!!! It is possible to unlock your iPhone 4!! You can unlock by Remote unlocking!!! It is the safest and simplest unlocking method.Also, the unlock is permanent and you can get it from online sites. [REMOVED] is where i unlocked my iPhone, they offered good unlocking servic at reasonable price. Check it out!!

People are reminded not to go to the above website, as it is a scam.

(Mods, Please remove when you moderate the above)

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

gustogogo
Level 1: Cadet

While the details and instructions provided on here were direct and to the point, I fail to see how this can be of assistance when I then, after calling, spent over 55 minutes on hold, before giving up in frustration.

Really Telstra, if you don’t want to unlock my phone surely you can find a less passive aggressive way to do it.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Customers can now unlock iphones using our new online iPhone unlocking tool for personal customers. To do this from an iPhone device or your computer go to the iPhone online unlocking tool telstra.com/unlock. (Available to post-paid customers only).  

View solution in original post

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi There

There's two parts to successfully unlocking your iPhone;

Part 1: Request the unlock from telstra.com/unlock if you are a personal Telstra customer on a plan. Pre-Paid customers should call 125 8887 and business customers should call 132 000.

Be aware that it may take Apple up to 72 hours to complete your unlock request.

Part 2: After 72 hours follow the Apple unlock instructions (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014) using your iTunes account to complete the unlock process.

You will need an active internet connection, a USB to connect the iPhone to a computer, the latest version of iTunes, and the Apple unlock link above.

See more information about the unlock process here: Unlock your Apple iPhone from Telstra - Post Paid Customers

Yoda

Can someone please help?

I have an iphone 4 bought through telstra a few years ago. The phone is in perfect working order. I gave the phone to my son and also put him on a telstra plan that expired in december (2013). Due to my ever increasing dissatisfaction with telstra, I decided to put him on pre-paid with another carrier (YES, that one) and I have been having nightmares ever since trying to get the damn phone unlocked from telstra. Now school is about to start again and I really need him to have this working for safety and security. Here's what I've tried;

• 2 weeks ago, called telstra and they confirmed that they "unlocked" it and just to follow all the usual instructions in this thread, wait 72 hours etc (see below), no service
  • 72+ hours later plugged in to itunes, nothing. Tried several more times over the next few days, nothing
  • removed SIM, restarted phone, nothing
  • went to optus store, removed SIM, inserted other SIM in iphone and it worked
  • put our SIM in store phone and it worked. Optus said to go back to telstra and repeat the process 
  • went to telstra.com.au/unlock, to try to 'unlock' it again. Followed all instructions, waited 72 hours etc, nothing
  • repeated the above another 72 hours later, nothing
  • plugged in to latest version of itunes, backed up, restored default settings, nothing
  • plugged into different itunes account/computer, nothing
  • went to the Apple 'about unlocking' page on the Apple website, nothing

What have I not done? With the time I've now wasted on this, I could have gone and bought a brand new iphone outright and used this one as a brick to throw through the nearest telstra store window! 

The force is not with with me I'm afraid. Dark is the outlook, hmmm.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Yoda, it sounds like multiple unlock requests have been put through by our staff and even yourself via the unlocking tool. That being the case I am confident that an unlock request has successfully been requested.

At this point I would suggest contacting Apple directly and asking them for support. The reason I suggest this is because an unlock request from Telstra is simply us recording the IMEI number, checking its one of ours and then sending it to Apple to process.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

timothygranter

Hi, I am experiencing similar problems. My phone was bought post paid and unlocked. Since then I have swapped to new pre-paid number the handset was replaced directly at an apple store - with a locked phone! I am now travelling and only discovered this. I submitted the imei into the unlock on Sunday and it's now 5 days - more than the 72 hours. The apple instructions are not working and I have also gone into an Apple store in New York only to be turned away as they refuse to help for the reason that the locking is with Telstra, not Apple. I can't wait on hold for so long trying to get through to someone. What can I do? My number is ********** and previous post paid **********. Let me know if you need the handset details of imei etc I'm just not sure for security reasons if I should be posting them here. Thanks Tim

Support Team
Support Team

Hi timothygranter, 

Welcome to CrowdSupport Smiley Happy

Just advising that I have removed the mobile numbers from your post for security. 

In regards to the issue you are experiencing, you mentioned that you had an unlocked iPhone, which then had to be replaced, is that correct? 

Apple then fixed or replaced that iPhone, with a different iPhone? If that is the case, then in no way would that phone be locked to Telstra, as the handset itself was not supplied to you by us, but by the Apple store. 

Ivan

timothygranter

Thanks Ivan! Yes! Apple's replacement iPhone is locked. Only my Telstra sim card works in it. What can be done? Can I give you the imei number? I need to get access to this phone whilst travelling it's costing me a lot of money. Tim
Support Team
Support Team

Hi timothygranter,

You can unlock this via www.telstra.com.au/unlock

If this doesn't help, I'd recommend getting touch with Apple.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

timothygranter

Thanks Shannon, as mentioned I've done BOTH of those suggestions. I have the proof of replacement from Apple. They have referred me back to Telstra "as the lock is done by the carrier". What else can you do? This is clearly a Telstra phone. Thanks.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi timothygranter,

You mention your phone was bought post paid & was already unlocked

Can you clarify why your handset had to be swapped over at the Apple Store?

Was this for a repair? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

timothygranter

Hi Shannon, Yes the original handset was bought post paid and was unlocked as other provider sim's had been used. Yes the replacement was offered on the spot by Apple due to fault with the hardware. The replacement is locked. What can be done? Thanks, Tim
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Timothygranter, 

As you've completed the webform are you able to confirm for me that you've completed all the steps outlined on this page? 

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014 

-Patrice 

JG18

Through a search engine, I found the http://telstra.com/unlock/ URL to unlock my iPhone 5 and the web site said that my phone is now unlocked. However, when I came to this thread for more details about waiting periods, etc., I see several mentions of the fact that the phone needs to be "post paid"; however, I am still paying out my phone on my contract. Does unlocking it have any effect on that status? The unlock web site did not mention any but now I am concerned.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi JG18,

Your contract situation doesn't have any influence. "Post-paid" in this context just means as opposed to a phone bought outright as a Pre-paid unit. As long as you restore the phone via iTunes 72 hours after putting through the unlocking request, it should unlock.

JG18

Thanks for responding!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now