Highlighted
julieanne3112
Level 1: Cadet

upgrade to mobile

Answered

I previously had iPhone 7 and have now purchased iPhone x.  Telstra shop were fabulous with helping me set everything up and transfer all details to the new phone.......but my email account is downloading thousands of emails.  is there anyway I can stop this??  no sooner do I delete a thousand emails and then more start to download by the hundreds.  I do not use computer just my phone so I would have assumed that all these old emails that are downloading would be ones that I have previously deleted when using my iPhone 7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: upgrade to mobile

When you "delete" the emails from your phone, all you were doing was deleting them from your phone, not from the server. This means that the new phone sees them as not having been read and is downloading them.
This means that the ones that you have just "deleted" are probably still on the server and you will need to delete them all again next time you change phones.
You need to go into the settings on your iPhone and check the box that says to delete the messages from the server when they are deleted from your device.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

When you "delete" the emails from your phone, all you were doing was deleting them from your phone, not from the server. This means that the new phone sees them as not having been read and is downloading them.
This means that the ones that you have just "deleted" are probably still on the server and you will need to delete them all again next time you change phones.
You need to go into the settings on your iPhone and check the box that says to delete the messages from the server when they are deleted from your device.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
julieanne3112

Could u point me to where in settings this may be I cannot locate anything
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@julieanne3112

The option to remove emails from the server when deleted from your inbox will depend on how your email account is set up on your new iPhone X.

If you're set up as an IMAP account, deletion is automatic and synced across all devices (Including the server) - there is no option to change this.

If you're set up as a POP Account, you can find the settings to delete mail from the server in the following steps:

Go to:

1. Settings
  2. Accounts & Passwords
  3. Select the account in question
  4. Advanced
  5. Delete from Server
  6. You can then choose either 7 days or When removed from inbox

I hope that helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

shreearchie

go for Iphone X

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now