frownface
Level 3: Gumshoe

vodafone now have esim. Why is telstra dragging its feet?

Back in april i made a thread pointing out that Optus had enabled esim and asked where telstra was with it.

No official response aside from "we're monitoring it, and will release if there's sufficient interest"

Fast forward 4 months, and now Vodafone have released esim

see: https://www.vodafone.com.au/support/device/esim

Whatever happened to "we were one of the first to introduce esim for the apple watch, and we'll be one of the first for esim on the iphone" ??

Not first, but LAST it seems, if ever.

So is there any actual reason telstra aren't coming to the party with this? or is it just general apathy/disdain towards the customer?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: vodafone now have esim. Why is telstra dragging its feet?

Telstra (and Optus & VF) have a long standing wish not to support dual sim, eg Samsung ..just as an example ....network supplied  phones eg Samsung are single sim, whereas generic / outright Samsung phones are dual sim. This is evident if you buy from JB HiFi, Telstra's largest dealer network, a phone for  a Telstra contract out of Telstra stock it is single sim, but if you buy an outright phone, not specified  for Telstra use,  it's dual sim, as it's taken out of generic stock.

It's a similar situation sometimes with other manufacturers.

I'm purely surmising that networks feel if someone buys 2 services for one phone, they may have to discount the 2nd service ????

In relation to esim specifically,  I also purely guess that  the situation is the same.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
frownface

Whilst your statement is generally correct for phones with dual physical sims it's completely false for the iphone xs/xr.

Every XS/XR sold through telstra, optus or vodafone has an esim as well as a physical sim slot, and is dual active sim capable because of this.

Optus, and now vodafone have enabled esim on their networks, which free up the physical sim slot for travel sims/cheap data sims/etc.

Of the three, telstra is the only one that haven't made this available, hence the flurry of frustrated posts

frownface

Also carriers are starting to sell dual sim phones.

E.g. https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/huawei/p30-pro

Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@frownface I'm in no doubt that Telstra will offer it one day. Being Telstra is the largest mobile network, one would also assume that the work needed to offer eSIM would be even greater than the other networks.

There is already a number of threads on Crowd Support with eSIM requests and it is growing monthly.

Telstra always keeps his cards close to his chest, you really never know when changes are going to happen until it does.

I hope its sooner than later for those wanting it :-)

Go Tiges!
AussieNerd80
Level 2: Rookie

So is there any actual reason telstra aren't coming to the party with this? or is it just general apathy/disdain towards the customer?

The reality is that eSIM is not favourable to Telstra and not so much at the consumer level but more so in the business/enterprise space.

One of the many reasons business/enterprise customers don't change corporate mobile providers is that the whole process once a contract has been signed of having to audit your mobile fleet, give the right information to the new provider, coordinate getting SIM Cards to the users and finally porting them (especially if device management is involved) is long and labour intensive. If eSIM is allowed by the device & all carriers, then the change suddenly becomes very simple as it is just a network & billing change. Telstra risk losing customers easier to Optus who are aggressively low balling on price, or Vodafone for certain coverage if the process to migrate becomes easier.

Its the same reason they limit the Telstra Wholesale network features, coverage, etc for consumers on Aldi, Woolworths mobile etc. They make more money if you are 100% on Telstra, not a MVNO.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now