jacqster
Level 1: Cadet

Bigpond Inbox sub folders disappeared on reinstall on new laptop

I've recently had to setup Outlook and my Bigpond POP account on a new laptop. In doing so I have lost all the sub folders I had maintained. All my emails neatly filed for easy access - gone!  How do I get all these emails back?  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Bigpond Inbox sub folders disappeared on reinstall on new laptop

Hi jacqster, 

I’ve passed this conversation on to our tech team who work between the hours of Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. I’m confident they will be able to help.

Thank you for your patience.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jacqster

I spoke to Telstra person yesterday and have an answer. It is not my optimal outcome (which would have been the waving of a wand and having all my subfolders magically reappear in my new laptop's Outlook inbox).  But its an answer I'll have to live with.  He remotely reinstalled my Bigpond account and it was noted that the setting was changed from mail.bigpond. to a different one (imap.telstra.com). Somewhere along the line this setting must have needed to be changed and I was oblivious to its being a necessity - no problem until I had to migrate to new laptop. And, I learned that POP accounts don't retain subfolders when you set up Outlook on a new machine.  That should come with a warning.  Although it seems Telstra doesn't use POP accounts now for Bigpond...or does it? (I've no idea). The wierd thing is that I have had to set my Bigpond account up on two laptops in the last month. One a temporary one while my laptop went to HP for repair. Two, a replacement laptop received under warranty when my old laptop was deemed replacement (happy about that as it was blue screening daily).  The laptop that went for repair ended up being held/destroyed by HP. That was the one that had all my history of subfolders on it. I did keep a backup of this account (via export of PST file including subfolders option ticked) but not immediately before the laptop was sent away.  So I do have a back up I can try reinstalling (fingers crossed) - but it wasn't everything all up to date.  Hence my enquiry - if it was possible for the subfolders to appear again in my inbox.  Seems the answer is 'no' to POP accounts and yes to IMAP accounts. Back to the weird thing...so on the temporary laptop when I installed Outlook and added my Bigpond account, the inbox appeared plus some - but not all - of the sub folders. So I thought that maybe it was a lack of space issue.  But then my new laptop has heaps more space and still no subfolders appeared. The support person yesterday was not able to respond to that one - either did not understand what I was trying to say - or didn't want to hear it as it was all too hard to answer.   Tip: keep screen shots of the issue so you can prove to support person that it really did happen and you are not going mad or making things up.  I did auto add the Bigpond account both times - not manual add account - so there was no difference in 'how' I added the Bigpond account to my Outlook on both machines.  How do you explain that one?!  So back to the now; on my new laptop my Bigpond account has been set up as IMAP, and I will continue to use subfolders - and perhaps for my own sanity, I will test this theory.  All is well until something goes wrong with your laptop and you have to install on another machine! A warning to all to keep regular backups - including sub folders - of inbox.    Anyway, I guess you could say my issue is "resolved". I have given this detailed reply in the hope it helps someone else if they have the same problem as me, or better still helps someone avoid what happenned to me.  And, because I couldn't find any answers by googling them - always the first port of call. The second is a call to Telstra for help, and that they did. So thankyou.  Bye!

jacqster

I spoke to Telstra person yesterday and have an answer. It is not my optimal outcome (which would have been the waving of a wand and having all my subfolders magically reappear in my new laptop's Outlook inbox).  But its an answer I'll have to live with.  He remotely reinstalled my Bigpond account and it was noted that the setting was changed from mail.bigpond. to a different one (imap.telstra.com). Somewhere along the line this setting must have needed to be changed and I was oblivious to its being a necessity - no problem until I had to migrate to new laptop. And, I learned that POP accounts don't retain subfolders when you set up Outlook on a new machine.  That should come with a warning.  Although it seems Telstra doesn't use POP accounts now for Bigpond...or does it? (I've no idea). The wierd thing is that I have had to set my Bigpond account up on two laptops in the last month. One a temporary one while my laptop went to HP for repair. Two, a replacement laptop received under warranty when my old laptop was deemed replacement (happy about that as it was blue screening daily).  The laptop that went for repair ended up being held/destroyed by HP. That was the one that had all my history of subfolders on it. I did keep a backup of this account (via export of PST file including subfolders option ticked) but not immediately before the laptop was sent away.  So I do have a back up I can try reinstalling (fingers crossed) - but it wasn't everything all up to date.  Hence my enquiry - if it was possible for the subfolders to appear again in my inbox.  Seems the answer is 'no' to POP accounts and yes to IMAP accounts. Back to the weird thing...so on the temporary laptop when I installed Outlook and added my Bigpond account, the inbox appeared plus some - but not all - of the sub folders. So I thought that maybe it was a lack of space issue.  But then my new laptop has heaps more space and still no subfolders appeared. The support person yesterday was not able to respond to that one - either did not understand what I was trying to say - or didn't want to hear it as it was all too hard to answer.   Tip: keep screen shots of the issue so you can prove to support person that it really did happen and you are not going mad or making things up.  I did auto add the Bigpond account both times - not manual add account - so there was no difference in 'how' I added the Bigpond account to my Outlook on both machines.  How do you explain that one?!  So back to the now; on my new laptop my Bigpond account has been set up as IMAP, and I will continue to use subfolders - and perhaps for my own sanity, I will test this theory.  All is well until something goes wrong with your laptop and you have to install on another machine! A warning to all to keep regular backups - including subfolders - of the inbox.    Anyway, I guess you could say my issue is "resolved". I have given this detailed reply in the hope it helps someone else if they have the same problem as me, or better still helps someone avoid what happened to me.  And, because I couldn't find any answers by googling them - always the first port of call. The second is a call to Telstra for help, and that they did. So thankyou.  Bye!

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now