Ghardnose
Level 3: Gumshoe

Samsung tv 2014

As with the afl app on the early iPads Telstra have decided to fade out Samsung tv's 2014 or older instead of adjustment of the app why.

the afl app was rectified so why not the Samsung app. 

So to watch my movies I will need a new tv, how insane is that. I purchased the movies in good faith but now the money I spent is wasted, is this legal or what.

consumer affairs is my next stop, want my money back at least!!!

over 13 years faithful Telstra customer, are you for real.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Samsung tv 2014

Being part time developer, I do understand why it is not possible to support apps on all models of all iOS, Samsung, Google and other devices. It is simply impossible and in many case it is not developers' decision, but the device manufacturers' decision.

Of course I also understand the customer's point of view - my wife perfectly functioning iPhone 5C is now obsolete, same applies to her iPad Mini... She cannot get updates for many apps anymore and when she accidently deleted one, she could not reinstall it anymore either, because Apple does not allow obsolete apps...

If your TV @Ghardnose, is still adequate, do not waste money on new one - Telstra TV is (IMHO) fairly good and adequate solution...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Ghardnose

So my money back wouldn't be too much to ask.

just bought a couple of movies last week and today Telstra in an email tell me sorry your tv is no good any more but we will gladly take your cash.

No not good enough. 

More action required 

Well, to be honest, Telstra cannot check everyone's TV if it has up-to-date apps... First of all they do not have the capability and second of all, most of the people would complain about invasion of their privacy... BTW, did you purchase those movies through the app or on the computer?
But yes, Telstra should be decent enough to refund you if you cannot use the movies you paid for...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Ghardnose

Yes I purchased through the tv app just 2 days ago an today they told me they will no longer support my tv so it's rather rude. In any case I would have to upgrade to a new tv or Telstra tv but it is not the consumer who is in the wrong so a refund is appropriate wouldn't you say.

after 13 plus years you would think better customer support or compensation was in line.

may be time to move on to another telco and just buy movies at a retailer.

still not good enough.

Yes, for refund, maybe for compensation... Telstra TV (particularly v2) is probably far more superior to your 4 year old TV and not that expensive, I'd go that way... Depending on plan, you can try to renegotiate - done that been there and yes, it works...
I've been with Telstra/Telecom for 25+ years and every time I was considering moving where grass was greener according to others, I found out that it was not true...

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I'm surprised that your TV kept working with Bigpond Movies for so long. Must have only just updated the firmware.

Support for the Samsung TVs was removed because of Google removing support for a particular system of Digital Rights Management, which means that streaming wasn't possible that complied with agreements with the studios.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now