CrowdSupport®
KatieP93
Level 1: Cadet

ACCESSORY REPAYMENT OPTION - MISLEAD BY TELSTRA STAFF IN STORE

Hi there,

After noticing a $15.00 Accessory Repayment Option fee on my Telstra bill, I Googled this term. What I found was that myself, along with hundreds of others, have been mislead by staff in Telstra stores when signing up for a new mobile contract.

When signing up for my plan in store, the salesperson excitedly announced that Telstra was running a fabulous promotion where $360 of accessories was included in my Go Mobile Swap Plan. When I told the salesperson that I didn't really want anything, he insisted that it was free so I might as well pick out some items. I quickly chose items that I didn't really want or need to make up the $360. I now realise that I am paying $360 for $360 of stuff I didn't want/need.

This was a couple of months ago so I am thinking there is no way I could return the items. The tactics used by salespeople in Telstra stores are VERY MISLEADING. I am shocked to see how many people have been mislead (basically, scammed) into purchasing this Accessory Repayment Option. It is very tempting to go into this particular store, find this particular salesperson, and tell him what a terrible person he is.

What can I do about this? Is there even anything I can do about this? I have been a loyal Telstra customer for years and now I feel so stupid for trusting this company.

Always ask questions! Read everything! Don't get scammed like me!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Ali_123

Re: ACCESSORY REPAYMENT OPTION - MISLEAD BY TELSTRA STAFF IN STORE

I’m so cross about exactly the same thing that happened to me just before Xmas. The sales lady in the Telstra shop talked up the “Christmas Special” plan that included a screen protector and a case, for free! When I finished signing up and she brought me the store paper bag with my phone, screen protector and case in it, she said “oh, and you also get this wireless speaker” as part of the Christmas promotion. I did think it was a particularly generous promotion! But, just like you, I am now paying a $15/month ‘accessory repayment’. So so cheeky, manipulative and DISHONEST! Very unhappy.
Level 22: Superhuman

Good evening Katie and Ali,
My best advice is to insist you speak to the Senior Store manager or licensee of the store/s where this took place. Your receipt will indicate the ownership of the store, so you know who you are dealing with, also if you need to take this further. May I wish you both a very happy New Year.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
KatieP93

They also tried to give me a wireless speaker!!! I took a portable charger instead. Something I would have NEVER purchased for myself. I only got it because the salesperson insisted that it was 'included in my Go Mobile Swap Plan' and 'free'. I am currently in the process of writing a formal complaint and I will see where I get. It would be amazing to get my money back. I feel so cheated. The salespeople really need to explicitly state that you will have to pay an ADDITIONAL fee of $15/month for the accessories. They use misleading language to make you think it's included in the original plan price.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi KatieP93,  I would definitely go back and speak with the store manager in person. Their details can be found directly online via  http://tel.st/uyc2 The Manager shall be able to look at what has happened and then assist you with either removing the additional charges or explaining what has occured.

In relation to the Formal Complaint, you can lodge this directly online via https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681...

Once this is received, you shall be appointed a Case Manager who shall look at the whole situation and then make contact with you directly. They will be able to advise what is happening exactly and when it shall be resolved or what can be done to get this resolved asap. It shall take approximately 2-3 Business Days for the Case Manager to receive the complaint however, please be aware this team do not operate over the weekend or public holidays.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

KatieP93

Success!

I called Telstra regarding my issue and they were able to refund me almost all of the $360. I am very happy with this outcome. Please call Telstra if you have also been misled by sales representatives and tricked into signing up for this terrible Accessory Repayment Option!!!
Support Team
Support Team

That is wonderful to hear Katie and thank you for getting back to us with the successful outcome. You are also able to always keep an eye on your account using either the Mobile App at  http://tel.st/app or by your MyAccount at  http://tel.st/cpyn

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now