CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
OrangeRafi
Level 2: Rookie

Account Fraud

I received a letter saying that they have attempted to contact me by telephone to discuss a change I have requested in relation to my mobile service but they we're unsuccessful. Letter say's to call them in order to progress the order or else it will not proceed. I had a chat via the 24/7 chat which told me that there we're no recent orders on my account and ignore the letter as he chat agent was saying it could be a 'glitch' on their system as they we're having a glitch recently. I have a record of the chat.

Next morning when I woke up, I got an email from Telstra about a signup for a new mobile phone plan which I did not signed up for. I quickly went to the 24/7 app and had a chat with another agent and was told that the signup was made hours after I had a chat with the previous consultant. I told the agent to cancel it as I did not signed up for it but the chat agent said he can't do that. Really Telstra? No cooling off period?!?! I asked him what is the delivery address for the phone and was told he doesn't have access to that. I told him I need that cancelled as I did not signed up for that. The signup was apparently made 1:30am on the 31/05/18. That's like 3 hours after I had a chat with the Telstra agent when I asked about the letter I received. After telling the chat agent that I did not applied for any mobile plans, he then gave me a link advising me to lodge a complaint as it could be identity theft. He also told me I could contact the complaints team but they are only available 9am to 6pm.I filled up the complaints form and confirmation email says someone will get back to me in 5 business days, that's too long so I decided to call them, spoke with an agent and was transferred to complaints department who then told me that they will forward my case to the fraud team and that team will get back to me within 24 to 48 hours.

I received a call in the afternoon and I thought that was the fraud team but no, it's just an agent responding to the complaint that I filled up, I told him I already called earlier in the morning. That agent told me he will do the same thing and forward it again to the fraud team and expect a callback within 24 to 48 hours.

What I don't understand is how come I can't cancel an account that has just been created? Should't there be a cooling off period for that? And the agent can't even provide me any information on where the phone will be delivered.

The phone is an iPhone 8 Plus btw. I already tried ringing the number as it was linked on my account but it just goes directly to a message bank.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Account Fraud

A cooling off period would apply to a new service being signed up for via Outbound Marketing, but if it is signed up for in a store/dealer, it is active without any cooling off on the spot, and online and phone are from the time the delivery is accepted and the service is activated. When it is outbound and the cooling off applies, it is done on hold until the end of the cooling off period and then is completed and the device isn't sent until this point.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

OrangeRafi

Okay, so cooling off period only applies to signup made via outbound marketing. I didn't know that. I thought it's the same with energy companies wherein you get a COP regardless of the method you signed up.

But the order was allegedly made 1:30am on the 31/05/18. I was chatting with an agent via the 24/7 app at 6am when I woke up and saw the email about an order I did not made. That's just almost 5hrs, couldn't they just hold the delivery of the phone?

I am not sure why they couldn’t have just cancelled the order as it shouldn’t have been assigned and shipped that quickly.

Just out of curiosity you don’t have any full authorities on your account who might have placed the order as well?
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @OrangeRafi,

If you do not have a full authority on your account & have any questions in relation to our management of your information, please call us on 1800 039 059 or email us at privacy@online.telstra.com.au.

If you're having trouble getting this resolved or investigated, you're welcome to raise a complaint through our online form here & a dedicated case manager will be assigned to work with you.

Upon submitting, you can expect contact within 5 business days & we'll aim to resolve within 10 business days. Depending on the issue, in some cases it may take longer to resolve. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

OrangeRafi

I am the only one listed on the account. I asked the chat agent cancel it for me but he said I need to contact the complaints team as the chat agent said there were multiple attempts of orders for the month of May 2018. 2 of them was cancelled but the most recent one went ahead.
OrangeRafi

@ShannonD

I already sent a complaint as that was the instructions from the chat agent last 01/06/18. I also called the complaints team and they said they will refer my account to the frauds team and will get a callback within 48hours but no callbacks yet.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @OrangeRafi

With complaints, you can expect contact within 5 business days & we'll aim to resolve within 10 business days. Depending on the issue, in some cases it may take longer to resolve. 

If you haven't received contact by close of business Friday, please let me know here & included the reference number (SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX) & the last 3 digits of your best contact in your reply.

Apologies for any concern or inconvenience caused by the delay

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

OrangeRafi

Hi @ShannonD

Does the 5 business days applies to the Frauds team or the Complaints team? Because I spoke with 2 agents complaints team already. 1 when I called as per the chat agent instructed and the 2nd is the call when they received the complaint I filled up online.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi OrangeRafi, 

Both areas would have this time frame sorry. If you have the complaint reference number we can pass this onto your case manager. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

OrangeRafi

Hi @Iain_T

I received an email regarding what I need to do next. The team now wants me to send the following:

Statutory Declaration
Driver’s License and 2 other valid IDs - front and back copies. One of the IDs should display your full name, photograph and signature and the others could be a secondary ID (e.g. Medicare Card).
Proof of Residency - Any document to prove your place of residence during the time the service was added, (31/05/2018) (e.g. Utility bill [bill cycle should cover the said date] with name and address, lease contract, etc.).

My question is with the Statutory Declaration, can it be signed by a police officer or a pharmacist? And the Proof of Residency says it needs to cover the alleged signup date. I don't have a utility bill at the moment that covers the signup date, can I use a bank statement instead?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update OrangeRafi, This is link to who can sign a statutory declaration:

https://www.ag.gov.au/Publications/Statutory-declarations/Pages/List-of-authorised-witnesses.aspx

I'm personally not too sure on the Proof of Residency and it would be best to address this with the case manager who advised you need to provide these documents sorry. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

OrangeRafi

I can't get hold of my case manager. I called during my breaks but was told he is speaking with someone else. I sent an email with attachments of what was asked and there was no responses. I emailed twice today. I asked for a callback at 6:30m as I finish work by that time, case manager called 2 hours earlier. I work in a call centre, I can't answer my phone when my phone rings as I am most likely taking calls.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @OrangeRafi

Sorry to read that you have not been able to get in touch with your case manager.

Can I please have your complaints number starting with SR so I can get in touch with your case manager to request they call you ASAP?

- Jimmy

OrangeRafi

Hi @Jimmy-Lo

My reference number is <Post edited to secure user privacy> If I could get a callback from 5:30pm onwards Melbourne time, that would be much appreciated

Support Team
Support Team

@OrangeRafi that might be difficult as from my understanding the complaints team closes at 5pm AEST.

- Jimmy

OrangeRafi

I tried calling earlier and when I asked if I could get a callback after 6:30pm, they said that should be fine. Great! 3 people must be lying to me then.

I sent 2 emails with attachment of what I was asked to submit and not a single response.

Support Team
Support Team

That is very disappointing to say the least @OrangeRafi

I am happy to email your case manager to request they call however I am not able promise a time regrettably.

- Jimmy

OrangeRafi

If you could tell my case manager to call me from 5:30pm onwards tomorrow, that would be appreciated. Or at least respond to my email if he received the files he requested. I've sent 3 emails already including the 3rd email which I just sent now.

As I've mentioned, I work on a inbound call centre, I ocan't answer my phone when it rings as modt likely I am talking to someone. Unless you guys will pay me to not take calls at work and I'll jusy wait all day for your callback.
Support Team
Support Team

@OrangeRafi I have send your requests through to your case manager and their one up manager and I sincerely hope they take action ASAP.

Apologies for again for the ongoing delays and frustrations during this process.

- Jimmy

OrangeRafi

Still can't get hold of my case manager. I tried calling twice during my breaks and still couldn't get through. I was they'll send an email for a call back for 5:30pm. No responses on my email as well.

Also been told that my case manager will be on leave tomorrow and Friday so if I don't get a callback today, next callback will be Monday then.

I don't know how Telstra wants to solve an issue within the timeframe they have given if I can't get hold to a case manager.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Apologies that you have not heard from your Case Manager since we sent a contact request.

as

I will follow up with another contact request for you and have sent it to the Case Managers Supervisor as well. 

OrangeRafi

I finally got in touch with my case manager. Well, I haven't spoken to him as his always not available when I tried ringing during my breaks but at least he responded on my email and confirmed that he already received the documents he asked and forwarded it to the investigation team who will then review the documents. Hopefully this all gets sorted out ASAP!

It's annoying that someone signs up under your name just to get a phone. And they have a crappy taste of phone, iphone 8 plus! yuck!
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for letting us know @OrangeRafi 

Great to read that your case manager is on the case. 

Please keep us posted on the progress.

- Jimmy

OrangeRafi

Not sure what's happening now. I missed a call earlier but the missed call is from a different case manager. Not sure if the reason why a different case manager is contacting me is because my original case manager is on leave until tomorrow or the missed call is from a diffrent team from which my case manager has forwarded the files I sent to him.

Then I received an email with the same reference number but the email is coming from the case manager whom I missed I call and the email is asking if I'm comfortable discussing the investigation via email. I said yes. We'll see what the reply tomorrow then.

I did notice though that the fraud account that was attached on my only and existing account is no longer showing up on my dashboard and the total data allowance on my account has reverted back to the original that I signed last November/December 2017.
Support Team
Support Team

Apperciate the update @OrangeRafi, great to see there is progress in getting this matter resolved. Smiley Happy

OrangeRafi

Just an update. The fraud that happened has been resolved. My case manager from the finance team has advised me that I am not liable on all the charges on the fraudulent account as the sign up details did not much the details from the IDs and utility bills that I have submitted. My Telstra account has now been flagged that any future applications for new service will require documents to be submitted before the application is approved.

Thanks Telstra for the swift resolution!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Great to read of the resolution. Please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit