CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
NEJM29
Level 1: Cadet

Account and billing queries

Answered
Recently contracted to an NBN Bundle (in mum's name) and mobile phone service both in August and both within 3 days of the end of the billing period.
When did Telstra start claiming that payments for services in advance? No one advised me of this when signing up on new contracts and bills clearly show the accounts are billed in arrears. Why would I pay in advance for services not rendered? The new accounts just received and purportedly now overdue ans payable mean that we are expected to effectively pay 2 months worth within a 2 week timeframe because the due dates have now been brought forward. It makes absolutely no sense and is unconscionable of Telstra to expect people to be able to pay like this.
Bills have always been paid as with other utilities on the basis of usage. And by claiming bills are paid in advance, the possibility of being overcharged is there as I discovered when reviewing all my mobile bills back to when I switched to casual plan. I appear to have paid in advance for October 2016 in the first bill then the following bill received in October billed again for th same period. So technically Telstra owes me the overcharged amount.
I also dont understand why you charge $89 activation fee for a line already owned by Telstra and why NBN costs $30 to connect when I did the set up for device and we aren't supposed to be charged an nbn onnection fee. Your phone line activation only is fifty nine dollars. Also who do I speak to about my faulty Samsung 8 because it keeps having issues with the touch screen (note fifty nine instead of $59 - the numbers decided not to work. It is failing to recognise touch occasionally. It is less than a month old).
We were already existing long term Foxtel by Telstra customers previous adsl was with Belong which you own, so I fail to understand the logic in penalising loyalty with unjustified extra costs. We basically took advantage of the bundling when NBN became available and Belong is absolutely terrible. I paid a fee to have unuseable internet haha.
Also why was i told pension discount does not apply to nbn bundle when it clearly does for my mum's bill. She cannot afford to pay for services not yet rendered by you and is entitled to take up the discount.
It reallt is unfair to slot inconspicously into your PDS that was provided after signing up mind you, reference to monthly charges being paid in advance in a way where it is not clearly displayed or anywhere near where your billing explanation is. It is misleading. It says monthly charges and you've slotted 'advance' in there but it isn't referenced in all of your plan PDSs I have found. What is the deal with that?
Your practices appear to be slightly questionable and not very transparent and I am starting to regret entering into 24 month contracts and we aren't even a full month into the term. I am waiting for a response to my feedback/complaint but wanted to see if anyone can shed some liight as to these matters as mobile bill is apparently overdue which I have requested an extension for and which ironically is to the approximate date I would normally pay it by.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Account and billing queries

Telstra has always charged service fees a month in advance (you pay for anything that is not included in your plan the following month). It's not only Telstra that do this, it is everyone.

When you start a plan, you get charged pro-rata for the days left in the current billing period, plus the following month. Then each month you are charged for the next month upfront.

If you change plans, you get a pro-rata refund for the number of days that are left on you old plan, then charged pro-rata for the number of days left in the current billing period at you new plan's rate, then the coming month's fee.

As far as the connection fees go, you would need to talk to billing on 132200 to query the charges.  If your mother already had a Telstra service (phone and internet) on that line, then there shouldn't have been a fee. The consultants can walk you though this. But as you were on Belong and not Telstra, this would not normally fall into this category as technically you have changes providers.

For your Galaxy S8, the easiest way is to take it into your nearest store and get it sent away for assessment (it can't be assessed by the store)..

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: Account and billing queries

Telstra has always charged service fees a month in advance (you pay for anything that is not included in your plan the following month). It's not only Telstra that do this, it is everyone.

When you start a plan, you get charged pro-rata for the days left in the current billing period, plus the following month. Then each month you are charged for the next month upfront.

If you change plans, you get a pro-rata refund for the number of days that are left on you old plan, then charged pro-rata for the number of days left in the current billing period at you new plan's rate, then the coming month's fee.

As far as the connection fees go, you would need to talk to billing on 132200 to query the charges.  If your mother already had a Telstra service (phone and internet) on that line, then there shouldn't have been a fee. The consultants can walk you though this. But as you were on Belong and not Telstra, this would not normally fall into this category as technically you have changes providers.

For your Galaxy S8, the easiest way is to take it into your nearest store and get it sent away for assessment (it can't be assessed by the store)..

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now