CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Bill is in Credit

Hi,

I have a bill in credit, is there a way to defer a payment instead of cancelling direct debit and then starting again?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Bill is in Credit

Hey there,

I assume you mean "The account is in credit"? Why do you need to prevent a payment as wouldn't it just take it from the credit and then autodebit as required? I'm more than likely missing something and I'll admit I know nothing with direct debit as I don't trust Telstra enough to have my bank details Smiley Wink

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Dave,

Yes I did mean account is in credit, I think what I should have asked is there a way to PAUSE the direct debit for a month and then reactivate with actually cancelleing it.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Understood. Again I think the system would take the credit into account and only take what it requires if anything.. It certainly would be dumb if it took the full amount then supplying a further credit..

If it's viable financially let the system run its course to atleast see what happens and maybe report back here if it's all good or supply negative praise if it goes on a less successful path.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Yes, @Caaf is correct.

If you have the direct debit set to the full amount, it will process a debit on the due date for the amount due - which as long as the credit(s) have reflected on the account will be the amount of the total bill minus the credit.

In the case that the account is completely in credit, a full amount direct debit will not have an amount to actually process so will just skip it.

In the event of a fixed amount direct debit - the answer would be no, it wouldn't know to skip it and as far as I know, can only be cancelled and reactivated again not just skipped.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit