Highlighted
laststraw
Level 3: Gumshoe

Call centre employee's ID

Answered

Hi,

When I contact Telstra call centres, do I have the right to ask their employee's ID for reference?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Call centre employee's ID

Generally speaking you will be provided, on request, the representatives first name and you can ask for their employee ID as well. This is generally a C or D (though a few are B) followed by 6 numbers. Some are reluctant to give this out, but it has recently been confirmed on another forum by a Telstra Social Media rep that there are no rules currently preventing this ID number being given if a customer requests it.

You can, and should, ask for the reference number (SR) for the call which should reference any notes left by the representative.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey Kalak, 

You're spot on :-) 

We will provide our employee number when asked. However, we are not allowed to provide this information for another consultant, we are only allowed to provide our own employee information.

Although, rather than an SR number for a call (which is called a Service Request) there will be an INT number, the INT standing for Interaction, which is a direct reference number for a note on your account :-) If you have this number it will link us back to a direct note from a specific consultant to your account, and will also provide us with an employee's details. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Generally speaking you will be provided, on request, the representatives first name and you can ask for their employee ID as well. This is generally a C or D (though a few are B) followed by 6 numbers. Some are reluctant to give this out, but it has recently been confirmed on another forum by a Telstra Social Media rep that there are no rules currently preventing this ID number being given if a customer requests it.

You can, and should, ask for the reference number (SR) for the call which should reference any notes left by the representative.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey Kalak, 

You're spot on :-) 

We will provide our employee number when asked. However, we are not allowed to provide this information for another consultant, we are only allowed to provide our own employee information.

Although, rather than an SR number for a call (which is called a Service Request) there will be an INT number, the INT standing for Interaction, which is a direct reference number for a note on your account :-) If you have this number it will link us back to a direct note from a specific consultant to your account, and will also provide us with an employee's details. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

laststraw

I thought it was the case that the consultant should provide his/her ID upon request. However, I was refused by one of the bundle staff in India.

I will ask for INT number next time.

Rishwin

Hi laststraw,

Keep a record of all ID numbers or referrence numbers given to you, when your account is pulled up it will have all of the notes left by anyone you've previously talked to, including their employee number and the consultant will be able to contact them.

Yes you can request a Telstra staff's employee number, however i do understand some people's aprehension to providing their personal ID number as it can be used wrongfully and to aquire certain information. If the Telstra consultant you are speaking to needs to find the previous consultant then the info is free for them to access, but like i said i can understand how some consultants wouldn't want it to disclose their employee ID publicly.

---
My opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
Level 21: Augmented

@Rishwin wrote:

Yes you can request a Telstra staff's employee number, however i do understand some people's aprehension to providing their personal ID number as it can be used wrongfully and to aquire certain information. If the Telstra consultant you are speaking to needs to find the previous consultant then the info is free for them to access, but like i said i can understand how some consultants wouldn't want it to disclose their employee ID publicly.

In response my answer is "Tough". Apprehensive or not Telstra employees must disclose their preferred first name and modified employee number (b,c,d) to any staff member or customer. Regardless of circumstance. If they get a call where a customer asks for it outright, they still have too. Doesn't matter.

Lathania

Thanks to everyone who has posted a comment.

There are a few key issues to be mindful about. The first is that just because you have a Staff ID number does not mean you will be able to contact them again.

Secondly, the notes on files are only relevant if you are dealing with the same Telstra account each time. Remember Telstra Business and Telstra Residential are two totally separate divisions and if you are unlucky enough to have issues that cross over both Divisions, well you are pretty much up the creek becuase they cannot access both systems.

I have requested Staff ID numbers several times and they have refused to provide it. The advice regarding the Reference Numbers is good and I certainly wish I had recorded it on every occasion I contacted them.

I should also mention that it is becoming even more difficult to contact Telstra via any other method other than the chat line or a phone call that puts you in contact with an overseas operator. Try and find the postal address!! 

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now