zottles
Level 3: Gumshoe

Can't set up automatic payments

I have paid dozens of late fees because I have never been able to set up automatic payments. I tried a few times a few years ago and gave up. Decided to try again recently and these are the things which make me think there's something wrong with either my account or Telstra's system:

• I can pay my bill manually with my credit card
  • My credit card is a 'saved method' of payment
  • I can pay my bill manually using my 'saved method' (which is my credit card)
  • When I attempt to set up automatic payments using either my credit card entered manually OR my 'saved method', the process either stops with a 'waiting' symbol that never stops OR ends with 'sorry an unexpected error has occurred, please try again later'
  • Each time I try to set up automatic payments, a successful pending $1.00 payment appears on my credit card
  • An attempt to set this up by talking to a Telstra operator resulted in the instruction "There's a technical problem and you should try again later".

Any suggestions?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Can't set up automatic payments

Hi @zottles,

If you aren't able to sign up through My Account or when speaking with our team it does sound like there is an issue that needs to be investigated. I would recommend speaking with our Billing team so we can escalate this for you and get everything sorted out.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

zottles

Thanks Ashley, but how do I actually contact the 'Billing Team' by phone?. Going through the menu prompts just gets me to a standard operator.

Support Team
Support Team

The team you get through to is our billing team. If you explain to them what is happening they will be able to follow up further for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi zottles,

Just checking in top see how you got on with our advice?

Angela 

zottles

So far, I'm in contact with someone, but all that's happened is that the problem goes further up some invisible chain, and at each stage someone says, oh yes, there's a problem, we'll get back to you.

It's currently supposed to be with 'IT' and the 48 hour promised reply timescale is currently up to 144 hours with no response.

So. No. Result.

Support Team
Support Team

I am sorry zottles for this inconvenience and the time it is taking to resolve this on your behalf. I can assure you that we are working on the issue and may I ask if you have been offered any other explanation or ref # for this please? Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies and perhaps trying another browser, may help. I realise this sounds silly but it may help. 

zottles

Seems unlikely, as the Telstra people get the same result when trying to do it at  there end.... they can repeat the error, so the problem is not my end.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @zottles,

If this is yet to be resolved for you I would recommend lodging your details here:  https://tel.st/8tkyr and a dedicated Case Manager will be assigned to follow through until the issue is resolved. 

zottles

Well..... I believe I have a case manager.

I wrote a snail-mail letter (yes, with real paper and a stamp) to the office of the CEO.

Someone called me, went through the same process as a standard operator, said “yes I can reproduce the problem” and then said it was being referred to “IT” and I would have an answer in 48 hours. That was two weeks ago. No answer. Called the “case manager’s” number two days ago requesting a call back to update me. No response. All he managed was to refund the last two late fees. 

This is what I’ve come to expect from all large organisations. A total inability to actually fix things that go wrong for customers.

20 years ago I cancelled my Telstra mobile service for a similar lack of service. I have not come back. I think it’s about time to cancel this service as well.   

Support Team
Support Team

@zottles We definitely don't want to see you leave as a result of this and we can ensure this is followed up for you. 

To confirm, did you have a complaint reference number from your conversation? I am happy to follow up.

Thanks

zottles

No reference number as it was not a recorded conversation.

I just have a name and a phone number, and I don't want to put that info on a public forum - can I send you that info another (private) way?

Support Team
Support Team

Apologies for the delay in replying @zottles

Have you been able to follow this up since your post?

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now