CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
HamFIST911
Level 1: Cadet

Changing from a different internet service provider

Answered
Hi, I'm currently with Optus broadband & wanted to sign up to the 200gb Telstra Air plan & was just wondering if I needed to cancel my Optus connection first before I can sign on with Telstra or will Telstra do that for me? Also will Telstra carry over my current home phone number for me, because I'd like to keep the same number, or would I have to do that myself as well? I've completed my 24 month contract with Optus quite some time ago so I am able to leave whenever I choose.
Thx in advance for ur help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Changing from a different internet service provider

Hi Ham, this question comes up very frequently. If you take a look at the following liunk, I think you'll find most of your questions are officially answered there: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Mobiles/How-to-port-a-number-and-how-long-it-takes-to...

You'll find the Telstra Air arrangement is very handy, I have already myself.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Hi Ham, this question comes up very frequently. If you take a look at the following liunk, I think you'll find most of your questions are officially answered there: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Mobiles/How-to-port-a-number-and-how-long-it-takes-to...

You'll find the Telstra Air arrangement is very handy, I have already myself.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Lunaseruka
Level 11: Detective

One thing that I see alot as a saves consultant, is that when people switch to another provider, be it, they're leaving or coming to Telstra, no one tells them to get in touch with their previous provider.

What I have seen many times, is a customer would switch to another provider and be told that they (the provider) would take care of everything, then customer is shocked to see they are still being billed a monthly internet cost.

With Optus, if Optus are using their own lines, there is a possibility you may not be able to port the number in, however it is a question that you can address with a sales consultant, and they can check compatibility.

I always recommend to customers that as soon as you join another provider, be it Telstra, Optus, etc... It does not hurt to get in touch with your previous provider to make sure that there is no continuing billable assets on your account that shouldn't be there.

Also, if your internet is via cable and not ADSL, then you must call and cancel on your own as it is a seperate entity to the landline.

I am a Telstra Retention "saves" employee. My opinions and views I share on this medium are my own and not the opinion of the company

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now