CrowdSupport®
Level 6: Bloodhound

Continuous Direct Debit Issues

Hi everyone,

I'm having ongoing problems with direct debits on my consumer account. Every month, on the day the bill is due, I get an email stating that the direct debit failed. There are sufficient funds in the account. When I access online billing and click "Direct Debit", I can make a one-time payment using the exact same details that are saved for the direct debit without issue.

I have tried deleting and re-adding my direct debit details, but it doesn't seem to help.

The galling part of this is that Telstra keep disconnecting my service within 1 or 2 days of the bill being due, even though I supposedly have direct debit setup. If I pay online, I still need to phone them to notify them it's been paid as none of their systems talk to each other. To be clear, these aren't massive bills - they are disconnecting my service for a $40 bill that is two days overdue, then forcing me to spend an hour on the phone to get it reconnected. I have been a Telstra customer since 2001, but this might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Every time the direct debit fails, I also have to pay a $15.00 late fee, even though they only notify me the DD has failed on the day it's due. In other words, if I don't action the failed payment immediately, it's a $15.00 penalty.

No one seems to be able to tell me what the issue is - how can I get this sorted?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Continuous Direct Debit Issues

You need to lodge a complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit