CrowdSupport®
ireneconner2
Level 1: Cadet

Cooling off period

A friends 84yr old mother went into a Telstra shop to top up her prepaid mobile with $40 - which she does about every six months. She walked out with a new contract for an amount she cannot afford and new phone number because she did not understand what the girl was saying. While I understand there is no cooling off period if you approach Telstra in store, I believe this lady should have that option because she did not approach them for the change. She very clearly approached only for a top up and the sales girl pushed changes on her without ensuring she understood. What are her options? Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Cooling off period

The first thing to do would be to go back to the store and lodge a complaint with the store manager directly.

If the store manager refuses to assist with the situation, ask them to raise an official complaint and make sure that you get a copy of the complaint number.

If the complaints team are also not willing to assist you can escalate above that, but honestly the store manager /should/ help to get it fixed up but most of the store are licensed partners so they might not be willing to help with it.

However, just speaking technically, store orders, because the phone and SIM card are activated before you leave are legally considered active straight away without any cooling off period... regardless of if they suggested it or if it was something you specifically went in for...

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

ireneconner2
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you. I will pass that on to my friend. Her mother didn't actually get a new phone - although the woman tried to sell her one - but got pressured into a better deal. From her prepaid, she was signed up for $40 a month 24mth contract with a new SIM card and number despite the fact she only tops up her prepaid every six months with $40, and that was all she wanted. Thanks again

It should be a lot easier for them to fix up without a phone... it is still going to be a process but without the phone attached it does simplify the process a lot.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now