CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Lumia_920_User
Level 2: Rookie

Credit Check

Answered

Hello,

I've been a very long time user of Telstra mobile, but now considering moving to a home broadband bundle.  It seems when I sign up online I need to permit a credit check.

I've never paid a bill late (maybe a week late once or twice in around roughly 10 years), and I am trying to keep my credit rating pristine.  Every time my credit file is looked into, my credit score drops. 

I was assured by a livechat representative that my credit will not be checked as I have a driver's licence, but I couldn't find anything on the Telstra website around policy on credit checking.

I don't want to permit somebody checking my file and lowering my credit score unless it's necessary (loan, moving to a new telco provider etc.).  Is there a way I can sign up but without giving permission to do an external credit check?  Or can you point me in the right direction on the policy in more detail to confirm the livechat representative's assurance to me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Credit Check

As far as I know, there is no way for them to process an order without the credit check being processed,

my understanding is that they use a combination of internal and external information, however the full details of their credit checks privacy statement is here:

https://www.telstra.com.au/privacy/important-information-about-credit

towards the bottom is a specific 1800 number for a team who might be able to give you more specific information.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

As far as I know, there is no way for them to process an order without the credit check being processed,

my understanding is that they use a combination of internal and external information, however the full details of their credit checks privacy statement is here:

https://www.telstra.com.au/privacy/important-information-about-credit

towards the bottom is a specific 1800 number for a team who might be able to give you more specific information.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Lumia_920_User
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks will make the call. I may try a Telstra store too.

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now