CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

DNS Server issues

I'm the webmistress for the Romance Writers of Australia (www.romanceaustralia.com) and since August some of our members have been having issues getting onto our website - either consistently or intermittently. They receive messages like "Server not found" and "This webpage is not available".

I have worked with a few of the more techno-savvy ones via email when the problem has occurred and a ping of the domain name gives no result. Adding our IP address to their hosts file fixes the problem, so it appears to be a dodgy DNS server somewhere in the network.

The members having issues are spread around Australia, are using Macs and PCs, and different browsers, but the majority appear to be with Telstra.

Any advice on how I can get this solved? I'm not a Telstra broadband customer, myself, so I can't see where I can contact support. I don't want to have to tell all members to change their hosts file (and some are more technologically adept than others!)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: DNS Server issues

Thanks. It looks like there's no easy solution then.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: DNS Server issues

Given nearly all the complaints on the Telstra forum are pointing at one hosting provider I know what I would be doing. Smiley LOL

Edit: The non www version of your site is working however there appears to be an issue in how the index page is being handled. I would suggest that something is misconfigured in the GoDaddy setup or the WordPress permalinks.

romanceaustralia.com

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit