CrowdSupport®
vidmaster
Level 1: Cadet

Data charges when sending MMS...?

Answered

Hi everyone. I am on a telstra long-life prepaid mobile plan.  Sometimes when I send an MMS it simply costs 50c as per my prepaid rates.  However when I sent one today, I suddenly got stung with a $5.71 Data charge as well (for <4mb data transfer). 

I always keep my mobile data set to 'off' on my iPhone 4s, and ONLY switch it back on to send an MMS (otherwise it simply won't send).  I also have all of my apps prohibited from using mobile data, except the 'Mail' app which I have set to check manually for new mail.  Can anyone advise me as to why I am getting charged data usage when I send an MMS...??  Or is it something else that I am missing?  Oh btw iMessage is permanently switched off.  Thanks heaps!

Jay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Data charges when sending MMS...?

Oh Kay, Apparently I was half right...

I found the right OCT,

"5.5 A size limit of 300 kilobytes per message applies to international MMS."

It does say that 300kB is the standard in OCT, but does also say that:
"5.16 If you attempt to send any MMS message that is larger than 500 kbytes in size, your MMS message may not be successfully submitted and/or received."

So I would work on 300kB, but you might find that 500kB is accepted.... that being said, it looks like this particular OCT hasn't been updated since the mid 00s...

Looking on Google, it does look like the standard size internationally is 300kB, much like a standard SMS is only 160 characters...

One of the mods, however, might be able to confirm if Telstra does use a different benchmark size for it.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 23: Superhero

Hello

Your phone may have automatically done some updates when you switched mobile data on,   or the possibility???? that if an MMS is carrying excess over the limit megs, it will charge for data that  is allowable for an MMS??

They are the possibilities.

Best wishes

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
vidmaster

Hi Professor Phone (sounds like a line from a spy movie or something! Smiley Wink )

Thanks for your reply.

It's funny you should say that about the excess megabites...  I sent an MMS on the 12th of december that was 37.7KB in size, and was only charged 50c as per my plan rates.  Today I sent a photo taken with my iPhone 4s that was 3.04MB in size and that's when I got hit with the data charge!  I wonder how I could find out whether there is a size limit when sending an MMS...?

from memory it is 300kB,
I remember reading it somewhere, at some point a while back... I will see if I can find a reference to verify my random memory
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Accepted Solution

Oh Kay, Apparently I was half right...

I found the right OCT,

"5.5 A size limit of 300 kilobytes per message applies to international MMS."

It does say that 300kB is the standard in OCT, but does also say that:
"5.16 If you attempt to send any MMS message that is larger than 500 kbytes in size, your MMS message may not be successfully submitted and/or received."

So I would work on 300kB, but you might find that 500kB is accepted.... that being said, it looks like this particular OCT hasn't been updated since the mid 00s...

Looking on Google, it does look like the standard size internationally is 300kB, much like a standard SMS is only 160 characters...

One of the mods, however, might be able to confirm if Telstra does use a different benchmark size for it.
Helpful Links

View solution in original post

vidmaster

Thanks so much for that DrQwerty90! I really appreciate it. No more surprise data charges for me now! ;-) Cheers Jay.
Level 23: Superhero

Good morning Master,

Thanks for the Kudos.

I would have thought that "Master" was more "suspect" than  "Professor", but again I have delusions of grandeur Woman LOL!!!!!!

I'm far too humble to tell you my (in)glorious background in mobile phones back to 1963!!

I see that last night, the Good Doctor has given you specific information re how much data is allowable in an MMS.

Best wishes

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

We have almost a set of timelords at the moment lol. We have the professor (yana), the master and the doctor. Geez.

I thought I knew. It might have changed since It was last updated in 2006 though... But it is a starting point.
Helpful Links

vidmaster

Lol! Master of video tech (although even that is a stretch), not mobile phones as it turns out! Only got a mobile a few months ago after 5 years in the mobile phone wilderness - now I'm way out of the loop but getting back up to speed thanks to you guys. Found a Image Resize app which resizes my iPhone pics to 300KB before sending so that should do the trick! Thanks again.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit