CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
zacthedog
Level 3: Gumshoe

Difficulties in porting my mobile phone number from Telstra Business to Telstra Personal!!

Answered

I have held a mobile number on various Telstra plans since digital mobiles became available in Australia. Two years ago the number was included in a business account package with Telstra for a small company I owned. In mid-September 12, at the end of the two-year business package, I completed all the paperwork with the people handling the business account at the N Syd Telstra shop to port my long-term number to my new iPhone 5 plan that I applied for on-line. About 3 weeks ago received the iPhone 5, on the correct personal plan, with the expected 'temporary' new mobile number. After numerous emails and calls to the Telsta shop, as at October 21, I still have the 'temporary' number and porting of my long-term number has not taken place. This is - apparently - despite the Telstra shop staff trying all means (including buying a $2 Optus SIM to port out to, and back from). Surely this doesnt have to be so difficult? Can anyone enlighten me on what to do next?

8NOV12

Another week passes - still no resolution to this issue!

A friendly chap from Telstra did phone me last week and indicated all should be fixed by Monday (the 5th Nov) - if he could get the Business and Consumer departments to communicate with each other.

He called back with apologies late Monday and said the peoplehe needed were not available, but maybe 'tomorrow'.

Thursday evening, November 8, and no more calls from Telstra to tell me it is fixed or not fixed - never will be or maybe.....

I must admit this is the first 'stupid' problem I have had with Telstra in many years of being their customer (business and personal), I'm also a shareholder of Telstra, so I'm reluctant to get too vocal - but this is so trivial and yet so annoying.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emissary
Level 10: Junior Detective
Accepted Solution

Re: Difficulties in porting my mobile phone number from Telstra Business to Telstra Personal!!

@zacthedog wrote:

Thank you for the responses.

I agree with the post above that it should be really easy and yes I have had made many phone calls direct to Telstra and via the North Sydney Shop. 

The port-out with the Optus SIM never got off the ground - for one thing the iPhone was locked to Telstra and wouldnt operate with Optus SIM, and the Telstra Shop guy couldn't do anything with it from his end.

The way I did the purchase of the new phone was to order it, on a Plan, via the online store. I did this after to talking to the Telstra Shop people at two locations, where they (a) didnt have any iPhone 5's and (b) didnt see any problem in getting a new number with the new personal plan and then 'simply' having it changed to my previous long-trm number.

Thats is im sorry to say where the problem started. Even if the services were all in the one system this would still require a lot of messing around in disconnecting your other number, change the mobile number on the current plan etc. 

The iPhone can be unlocked with a quick call with your IMEI number handy and should be unlocked within around 2 - 5 hours (maximum 72)

But i would would recommended that you you (sorry for this) revisit the Telstra Store (or a store with a Business Centre if possible) and arrange to change your mobile plan with the number you want to a Casual Plan. Then have the Store call the Forward Migration Department when they will move your number to a new SIM card in the Consumer Billing System. 

Once completed the rest is pretty easy, you then need to call Telstra and arrange to have your number disconnected on the service. Once the disconnection is completed then can then process a Change FNN order on your service and assign the correct number. 

Yes it is alot of issues to go through, but it is surprising the quickest resolution. 

Will update with something clever when the brain starts working!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Rick_James
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Difficulties in porting my mobile phone number from Telstra Business to Telstra Personal!!

I don't see how this should be an issue. I've recently dealt with the same thing. Try calling and ask to speak to the Mobile Number Portability team. It should be as easy as a 5 minute order and it should be completed through the system in 24 hours. 

Emissary

Sorry just a quick question in regards to this, But did you sign up online then arrange to have the number assigned. Or did you go to the Telstra store to do this ?

(Side Note: The issue is because the Consumer and Business Systems ran on different platforms, as such the moving of numbers to the different platform is extremely annoying. 

Did the Optus Port process work ? Because once the number is with another carrier the number can be ported back to the Consumer system without issue)

The other way to do this is to go back to the Telstra store (sorry!) and arrange for them to move you to a Casual Plan for the business number. Then have them speak with the Forward Migration Department to move the number to the Consumer system where they can disconnect it and Change the "Temp" number.

zacthedog
Level 3: Gumshoe

I agree with the post above that it should be really easy and yes I have had made many phone calls direct to Telstra and via the North Sydney Shop. 

The port-out with the Optus SIM never got off the ground - for one thing the iPhone was locked to Telstra and wouldnt operate with Optus SIM, and the Telstra Shop guy couldn't do anything with it from his end.

The way I did the purchase of the new phone was to order it, on a Plan, via the online store. I did this after to talking to the Telstra Shop people at two locations, where they (a) didnt have any iPhone 5's and (b) didnt see any problem in getting a new number with the new personal plan and then 'simply' having it changed to my previous long-trm number.

Emissary
Accepted Solution

@zacthedog wrote:

Thats is im sorry to say where the problem started. Even if the services were all in the one system this would still require a lot of messing around in disconnecting your other number, change the mobile number on the current plan etc. 

The iPhone can be unlocked with a quick call with your IMEI number handy and should be unlocked within around 2 - 5 hours (maximum 72)

But i would would recommended that you you (sorry for this) revisit the Telstra Store (or a store with a Business Centre if possible) and arrange to change your mobile plan with the number you want to a Casual Plan. Then have the Store call the Forward Migration Department when they will move your number to a new SIM card in the Consumer Billing System. 

Once completed the rest is pretty easy, you then need to call Telstra and arrange to have your number disconnected on the service. Once the disconnection is completed then can then process a Change FNN order on your service and assign the correct number. 

Yes it is alot of issues to go through, but it is surprising the quickest resolution. 

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now