CrowdSupport®
tycoel
Level 4: Private Eye

Extension of payment and disconnection

Answered

Hi Telstra 

I had a very large bill due to my son overusing broadband and receiving an excess usage charge. I spoke to Telstra Credit Management 7 weeks ago who advised that I could pay it off over 2 months but that I had to call after 6 weeks in and request another extension as the IT systems wouldnt allow an extension of greater than 6 weeks. Well.... being the busy single working parent that I am I forgot to call and I've been cut off. I've called today and got the payment extension but need to get the phone back on as its my only phone - I dont have a landline. 

Is there anything else I can do? I've spoken to a very unhelpful man at Credit Management who simply advised that the systems wont allow him to reconnect and thats it. Surely Telstra don't rely on their IT systems that much? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Extension of payment and disconnection

If you need more time to pay, you can request a payment extension online now at www.telstra.com/paymentextension

You can also speak to our 24x7 Chat team who can process payment extensions for amounts up to $1000.00 and up to 4 weeks. 

If you prefer to call us, dial 13 22 00 and say "Payment Extension" to complete over the phone.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
tycoel

When I spoke to him this morning I asked for his manager. She was busy, he told me. I told him that from past experience I knew she wouldnt call me back so asked him for her contact information. He gave me a 1800 number whih I then called an hour later. After getting a recorded message telling me I had a late account and giving me only 3 options - pay my account; apply for an extension; advise payment of account - I chose to apply for an(other) extension. Then said "continue" and got put onto a general receptionist who I once again had to verify who I was; then she put me onto credit management who again verified me and proceed for 10 minutes to not listen to me but regurgitate the story that I was told earlier that morning - in very broken English so I could barely understand what she was saying.   After telling her that I am taking notes of the terrible terrible terrible communication process with Telstra she advised that Telstra always take notes. So I asked her to look for the notes from 6 weeks ago that stated that they approved my extended payment of over 8 weeks instead of the usual 6 weeks. Looks like there were no notes.  

After an hour of being on the phone (my Skype app on my mobile) I'm now waiting for the GUARANTEED call back from her manager. 

Level 23: Superhero

I assume you've been putting some monies into the outstanding account regardless of this over bloated outcome?

The way I read it, it seems to have gone all a bit sour. I guess you can thank your son for the gargantuan amount of mental/financial frustration and yourself for the lack of understanding technology. Much of all things in this world, its a learning curve. At a guess, like most people and businesses they (Telstra) do get a bit sour if there's no financial recompense prior to phones calls and/or discussions about your financial difficultly.

I wouldn't think the service will be activated until all or some arrears are sorted.

Cheers,
Dave

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey tycoel,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been given the run-around regarding your request to have your mobile phone activated as it's only your current contact method.

The reactivation of your mobile service without the full payment will be at the discretion by a Team Leader in our Credit Management Team. 

But they will certainly have a good look at your payment history. I suggest to contact Credit Management again and have issue escalated to a manager.

Let us know how you go. Thanks tycoel. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tycoel,

Just touching base here with you. How did you go with the phone call from a manager that was offered to you?

I hope that this has been sorted out for you already. If not, please let me know, so I can follow this up for you. Thanks tycoel.

-JoeSmiley Happy

tycoel

Ok - an update. 

I never received that call back. Not that day, nor the day after, nor the several days since. 

I paid the full amount outstanding 2 days ago (Friday at around 2pm) - and guess what, my phone is STILL not reconnected. Are you people totally incompetent???? 

Think yoursleves lucky I've been too busy all weekend with two of my children's birthdays, and thank goodness the children who slept over didnt have any health issues as I had NO external telephony in case I needed it. 

Seriously.... what is wrong with your organisation and when are the other carriers going to be bringing LTE to Brisbane? 

tycoel

Wow Joe how awesome are you? Just what I'd expect as a response from a Telstra person - telling me what I already knew and not helping at all! How bloody fantastic. Did you not read the post I made prior to your suggestion that I contact a manager? The one where I said I was waiting for a call back from..... you guessed it.... a manager. 
@Joe_Telstra wrote:

Hey tycoel,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been given the run-around regarding your request to have your mobile phone activated as it's only your current contact method.

The reactivation of your mobile service without the full payment will be at the discretion by a Team Leader in our Credit Management Team. 

But they will certainly have a good look at your payment history. I suggest to contact Credit Management again and have issue escalated to a manager.

Let us know how you go. Thanks tycoel. 

tycoel

And I anticipate Telstra's lame excuse will be that it was because I paid by Paypal and it needed some sort of manual process. I also called Telstra after I made the payment to report it, stating that I paid by Paypal, the guy told me it would take a maximum of 24 hours to reconnect due to it beng a Paypal payment. 

When I paid with Paypal, there was no mention of it taking longer than a credit card payment and my account is showing that I owe only the amount for the month. 

Oh and heres another pearler for you Mr Telstra - the amount you claimed I owed when you disconnected my phone (around $850 or so) - well.... I actually received that bill 2 days after you disconnected me. The amount outstanding on disconnection was around $500 - and the payment I made was for the $850 amount BTW

Just wrong wrong wrong on all accounts really aren't you Telstra. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

If you need more time to pay, you can request a payment extension online now at www.telstra.com/paymentextension

You can also speak to our 24x7 Chat team who can process payment extensions for amounts up to $1000.00 and up to 4 weeks. 

If you prefer to call us, dial 13 22 00 and say "Payment Extension" to complete over the phone.

Highlighted
Susannah_55
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra are hopeless with reconnecting phones. I was 4 months pregnant suffering very extreme morning sickness and did not notice that Telstra had not sent me a bill for 3 months when they cut off my only phone. I was extremely sick and needed to be in touch with doctors, family and my work and they still would not reconnect my phone. It was extremely unfair as they also had overcharged me by over $400 and I had to sit on the phone for an hour and a half an go through every line of my bill (once received, they were sending it to some random email address I had not used in over 2 years). I was promised several times that my phone would be connected and it wasn't. I spent 3 nights in a row for over an hour each time trying to get the problem sorted but each time I had to explain the situation over and over again until I was so so angry I was screaming at the numerous people they were putting me through too. All they do is palm you off from one person to the next. They DO NOT keep notes on anything and for such a large company the customer services was an absolute joke. Couldn't even speak to anyone in the country. Once my contract is up I will not be signing up with them again. Who cares if it is slightly better reception!!! Telstra need the realise there customers are human and things happen ( even though none go this was my fault) I have told this story to everyone I know and most will be leaving Telstra as soon as they can. I gave up in the end and scraped up the money to pay 3 months worth of bills in one hit. Thanks Telstra for nothing
allanhibberd
Level 1: Cadet

i would likea paymentextension

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Allanhibberd, 

There are a couple of ways you can request a Payment Extension. You can either speak with our 24x7 Billing Team  http://tel.st/49kl or you can make the Payment Extension request online via our form, Request a payment extension 

Please let me know if you have any further concerns, 

Kind Regards 

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now