CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

First Bill advance Payment

I recently upgraded my phone so therefore my old contract ended and I have commenced a new one. I posed the question in store as to what happens to that inital advance payment on the first bill, as I paid one at the commencement of my last contract and no doubt will have to pay one on this initial bill too. Shouldnt this be credited? It seems as though no one knows what actually happpens to this money.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: First Bill advance Payment

Except for the first – usually irregularly short – bill period, your monthly plan fees are billed at the start of the bill period. When you cancel in the middle of a bill period, you will have ‘consumed’ part of the month's plan fee that is billed in advance. After pro rata calculation of how much of it is payable, and how much of the final month's plan fee you didn't use, if your billing account is in credit, the balance is retained, and refunded if you choose to close the account. Otherwise, any remaining balance will simply be used to offset the charges on your next bill, if you put a new mobile service plan on that same billing account.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

so in this instance my billing period ends on the 21st and i got my new phone therefore new contract on the 6th.

so should i not get a bill for the pro rata amount remaining in the billing period for the new phone as it should be covered by what was left in my month in advance on my perious bill for that period and only be billed for the next month in advance?

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

so in this instance my billing period ends on the 21st and i got my new phone therefore new contract on the 6th.

so should i not get a bill for the pro rata amount remaining in the billing period for the new phone as it should be covered by what was left in my month in advance on my perious bill for that period and only be billed for the next month in advance?

The pro rata plan fee (for the plan you were on) for 6 March–21 March will be credited back to your account, and appear as a line item on your next bill.

You will also see a charge for the pro rata plan fee (for your current/new plan) for 6 March–21 March, as well as a charge for the full month's plan fee for 22 March–21 April, on the bill to be issued shortly after 22 March.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit