Highlighted
fionavar
Level 2: Rookie

Foxtel Unmetered Downloads are being charged as Data Useage by Telstra

Answered

Please can someone help, I am going in circles at the moment?.   on 9th of April with no other device except TV connected to our Wireless Network got charged  4GB plus of Useage.  The only thing I was doing late that afternoon was downloading catchup programs from Foxtel. This is always unmetered. 

I spoke to 24x7 support at the time and was told that they can't tell if that data was Foxtel or not but if we were slowed they would un-slow our account for us.

So we had 4GB left so we continued on as always using for minor PC stuff and our ususal catch up programs from Foxtel, no dramas.

Then yesterday we switch the wireless network on specifically to download from Foxtel.  There was NOTHING other than the TV connected.   My husband downloaded about 5 hours worth of viewing and then we get the notifications to our phones that we have used up all our data and our account has been slowed.

So this morning I contacted 24 x 7 again.  I was told that it is Foxtel problem no Telstra and to ring them. 

So I rang Foxtel and they told me that nothing has changed with our account or their deal with Telstra customer and all downloads from their Catch Up site is unmetered.

I was told by Foxtel that Telstra can indeed see where large chunks of data have come from and determing to charge as Useage or Unmetered but Telstra 24x7 rep tells me they can't?

I know somehow it is the Foxtel downloads we are being charged the data for as there was simply no other device except tv connected both times.   Also even though we downloaded masses of GB both times our Unmetered data both those times are 36MB's so obviously we haven't been charged for our Unmetered Foxtel stuff but somehow had it charged as Metered Useage.

Is there anyway I can get these chunks of data investigated on the said dates? 

Andrea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Foxtel Unmetered Downloads are being charged as Data Useage by Telstra

Hi Andrea, 

This is a known issue with unmetered Foxtel content and is currently being investigated. If you are indeed slowed due to this, we will certainly restore your services during this time. The only frustrating part is to have to contact us to do so. 

I also suggest to monitor your usage through My BigPond not just My Account, as My Account will not show unmetered content. You can access My Bigpond at: http://goo.gl/Ptz01

Please keep us updated and if the problem persists we can investigate further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi Andrea, 

This is a known issue with unmetered Foxtel content and is currently being investigated. If you are indeed slowed due to this, we will certainly restore your services during this time. The only frustrating part is to have to contact us to do so. 

I also suggest to monitor your usage through My BigPond not just My Account, as My Account will not show unmetered content. You can access My Bigpond at: http://goo.gl/Ptz01

Please keep us updated and if the problem persists we can investigate further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

fionavar

Thank you I believe our speed has now been restored and we do monitor  via Bigpond since this problem started April.  Hopefully the problem will be resolved soon, as we only have wireless option in our area (no ADSL) and to be slowed up is a PITA.   Will continue to monitor,  specially make notes of all times when we download from Foxtel in case it occurs again or becomes a re-occuring problem.

Will there be a notification is the issue is resolved?

Support Team
Support Team

Great idea Andrea in monitoring when this occurs. 

There is no word on when it will be resolved as it is a affecting a lot of mobile broadband users across many unmetered sites. However I doubt there will be any notification once resolved. 

melissadors
Level 1: Cadet

Is this issue affecting home broadband users? For the last 4 -6 months I keep hitting or going close to my 50GB limit and we are high users of Foxtel in demand. There's only two of us in the house and we use a bit of wifi for our mobiles but don't download much else. When I called the consultant actually laughed at me, and treated me like I didn't understand technology, but that aside something weird is going on. The only other change in our usage is Apple Music, but I'm mainly streaming that on my mobile out of the house.

Is there a way you can have your usage analysed?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Melissadors,

It's definitely strange. Foxtel on Demand is unmetered for BigPond services. I'd give us another call on 133933 or speak to LiveChat: http://tel.st/gq6m. If you're certain that the usage is incorrect then we need to escalate this for you.

Brodie

jezbug

I also have Foxtel direct through Foxtel and Cable Boradband bundle via Telstra but my Foxtel On Demand data is being tracked as metered data as opposed to unmetered data.  I have tried speaking to Telstra representatives on the phone and online chat but no one has any idea what they are talking about.

Can someone please explain to me what the Unmetered data rules and conditions are surrounding Foxtel On Demand data content via a BigPond broadband package?  

I use an IQ3 and IQ2 set top box.

I am very quiockly eating into my allwance and my understanding is that the Foxtel On Demand content should be unmetered for all Bigpond customers.

jezbug

I also have Foxtel direct through Foxtel and Cable Boradband bundle via Telstra but my Foxtel On Demand data is being tracked as metered data as opposed to unmetered data.  I have tried speaking to Telstra representatives on the phone and online chat but no one has any idea what they are talking about.

Can someone please explain to me what the Unmetered data rules and conditions are surrounding Foxtel On Demand data content via a BigPond broadband package?  

I use an IQ3 and IQ2 set top box.

I am very quiockly eating into my allwance and my understanding is that the Foxtel On Demand content should be unmetered for all Bigpond customers.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jezbug

On Demand is definitely unmetered via BigPond, yes. Can you be sure it was usage from Foxtel On Demand and not other general internet usage that caused you to go over your data allocation?

Regards 

melissadors
Level 1: Cadet

it's definitely my Foxtel usage. I watched 4 episodes of a show yesterday and this morning I received my notification that I hit my usage again. This is happening each month now. I don't want to sit on the phone or on live chat to fix this, is there a form I can fill out to have this investigated? I am a staff member so I can submit a complaint but I'd rather have this fixed before it becomes a complaint. I'm also guessing I'm not the only one with this problem.

thanks for your help!

Steveee

Keep an eye on it , they did the same to me then had the hide to say "why do you care , you are on a 1000gb plan anyway".

They try to catch out the unsuspecting.

I was given 3 different response to the issue when i lodged my complain.

Steveee

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now