Highlighted
Henrydalloul
Level 1: Cadet

Fraudulent account

Hello . I finally got the courage to get myself on a phone plan service . After all Optus prepaid was costing me heaps .as I was super excited . I got denied back . Apparently I'm a customer with a big debit in collections and after calling collections and knowing it's all against my name when I never signed up . I really like to sign up with Telstra but first things first who do I call and get this resolved cause where it was done and would off need prof Id and my information. Iv never been with Telstra . Never had a service under my name and will not stand to be out in debit collections when it was not . Help

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Fraudulent account

The quickest way to find out what is going on may be to speeak with the Financial Hardship team. Just call 132200 and ask for Financial Hardship. They are set up to help people who are having problems paying their bills and should be able to help get the process started to find out what is going on.

You will most likely then need to speak to complaints to put in a formal complaint to get it resolved, but the Financial Hardhsip team should be able to help kickstart that process for you.

As you are claiming that it is an identity theft crime, they may not be able to give out actual information as to the size of the debt or other details, but they will be able to collect identification from you (might need to get a notorised copy done at the Police Station) in order to prove that you are who you say you are.

After you speak to Telstra, get them to email/post you a letter confirming that you have contacted them and then take that to the Police to report the identity theft. They will then be able to deal with Telstra as well to resolve who has signed up using your identity.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now