Highlighted
scott7
Level 2: Rookie

Help needed

I was scrolling through an article on FB and clicked next.. I then got a text message stating
Hi you've purchased SmartMag costing you $15.00 on your next bill. Helpline:1800793904
How do I ensure that I’m not subscribed?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
TheChosenOne
Level 8: Inspector

Re: Help needed

Hi scott7 ,

Just reply STOP on the sms you got, Right away it will make you unsubscribe on the unwanted subscription.
Always here to help. Please don't forget to click the Like button if you "like" what I suggested Smiley Happy

I've just had the same issue - scrolling through Facebook and accidentally hitting continue on an ad and receiving that text message. I was thankful to find this thread when it happened! So I replied with 'Stop' but got another notification saying the text message may cost charges on my mobile and no confirmation of cancelling the subscription. I hope it works!

TheChosenOne
Level 8: Inspector

Yes that's their reply after sending STOP to the sms. That's their strategy so you won't continue unsubscribing. It's like a mind strategy if you look at it.
The important thing here is you're able to send STOP from the sms Smiley Happy that will definitely work to stop unwanted charges
Always here to help. Please don't forget to click the Like button if you "like" what I suggested Smiley Happy

This exact thing just happened to me. interested to know did sending STOP back work for you?
Rack73
Level 3: Gumshoe

I also had this issue. If you aren't intending on purchasing anything through the Playstore or Apple store then you can also get Telstra to restrict your 3rd party purchases amount or stop it altogether.
Pagan1
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Lilith, I had this happen to me this morning (sneaky little gossip tabloids on facebook haha). I was worried at first and replied STOP after finding this thread. But it seems that as of December 2017 Telstra has stopped allowing third party purchases to be added to your phone bill.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-29/telstra-opts-out-of-third-party-billing/8851982
Jasparollie

Just got a message saying I have subscribed to smartmag and$15 will come off my next bill .. how do I unsubscribe I didn’t subscribe to this ..your help would be very much appreciated
nettygirl

Same thing just happened to me. There is no reply STOP on my message though. Do you unsubscribe through their actual site? I don't want a bill for something I didn't subscribe too.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello Jasparollie, 

The following information can be found via https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/moreonyourmobile/manageyourcontent

- Simone

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jasparollie

I see some have txt STOP does this work or should I go to Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I would recommend coming through to our team on 13 22 00 and they will be able to assist you. 

Please do let us know how you go. 

- Simone

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TJade

Hi Simone

I’ve accidently hit ‘join now’ on an article this evening too. I’ve been worried as their terms and conditions say that by hitting ‘join’ they gain access to customer details etc.
According to the article, it wouldn’t have gone through anyway would it since it’s past Dec 2017??
Is it all a bit of a scare tactic and I haven’t actually ‘joined’ anything?? Or have I subscribed and someone out is not only adding money to my phone bill but also has access to my personal details?
Thanks
Relli99

I had exactly the same thing happen to me, I texted back STOP and have just received my bill with the charge on it....A little angry!
Pagan1

i just received my bill with the $15.00 charge even though i replied STOP straight away.
not sure how this has happened as telstra stopped this back in december. this is from their website.

"From 3 December 2017 you won’t be able to charge new subscription services to your Telstra bill. However, any existing Premium services, services you add before 3 December, and one time charges, will still appear on your bill."
Pagan1

hi Simone, this doesnt help as i cant seem to see Smartmag on any of those lists.

also, please tell me how this even happened as of December 3 2017 purchasing third party content this way was ceased by telstra.. this is from the website:

"From 3 December 2017 you won’t be able to charge new subscription services to your Telstra bill. However, any existing Premium services, services you add before 3 December, and one time charges, will still appear on your bill"
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you received the msg from a 19 number, you can check the 19 number on http://19sms.com.au and that will give you the contact details.

Otherwise, if it is on your bill it should have more details about them.

Either way, you can speak to the billing team and they can assist you further and look into what has happened for you. They are on 132200 and say "billing dispute" from 8:30 am until 9pm, or on LiveChat 24x7 - http://tel.st/livechat/
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Relli99

None of these comments actually help.  The Random $15 is on my bill, the only listing on the bill is third party charge, no actual other details.  I contacted Telstra when I noticed the charge on my calls to be billed and was told they couldn't help until I received my bill and then it may be able to disputed.  So will try again and speak to someone now that I have received the bill.  What I'm annoyed about is that I read the whole  December 2017 thing as well and thought I would be ok...

If it doesn't have anything on the bill, it would mean it might not have been a 19 charge, so the billing team will be able to check up on it and will be able to find out more for you and help sort it out. Until it is on the bill and the bill is generated there isn't any charge for them to actually dispute for you which is why they had said to wait until the bill was issued. 

It is kinda like with transactions on your card, where you can have a pending visa transaction... until it actually hits your account it isn't technically a completed payment it is only pending at that stage. Similarly, this is only pending until the bill is issued then they can go into that for you. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Relli99

So have just been chatting with 132200 and it seems as I didn't receive a text response back to my STOP I was technically still subscribed but all future charges have been blocked.  Elsie asked me what I wanted to resolve the situation and I said I wanted the $15 charge removed from my bill as technically I hadn't subscribed in the first place.  I have been advised to pay the bill by the due date minus the $15 and this will be resolved on my next bill.

Geelong531

Hi, the same thing happened to me this morning. It’s clearly a scam so Telstra should just be blocking any charges from this company. I replied stop but will wait for my bill to see what gets charged.

totallyoverit
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra have copped a fair bit of flack for even allowing 3rd party charges to be added to peoples accounts. The scammers will look for another way to rip people off. Best way is to get premium SMS content barred. That will stop it dead in its tracks.
LuckyLeigh

I did reply STOP and then called Telstra who happily cancelled the ongoing unwanted subscription but wouldn’t not cancel the existing month.
They were unrepentant about it and said they cannot stop third party subscriptions.
I then called Smartmag and the guy was willing to send a cheque for the $15 once I handed over all my address, email and phone details.
I have tried to find their page on FB to report it and can’t seem to.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more