CrowdSupport®
Gustov
Level 2: Rookie

How do you stop the annoying survey I get by phone when I go into a Telstra Shop, they don't know?

I have had 3 calls now for surveys every time do anything with Telstra. The shop told me I have to get them as it affects their pay, but I don't see how thats my problem. Shouldn't I be asked if i'm ok with receiving a survey rather than get it more than once?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
billythekid
Level 8: Inspector

Re: How do you stop the annoying survey I get by phone when I go into a Telstra Shop, they don't kno

Thats the only way telstra can tell if their customer service is improving!!!
Gustov

Re: How do you stop the annoying survey I get by phone when I go into a Telstra Shop, they don't kno

well if thats the only way then it's not improving because I find it very annoying and intruding, I simply want to go in get what I pay for and leave. I know its just a recorded message but its becoming more annoying than a telemarketer. At least I can swear at a real person and tell them where to put their survey.
GerdSchenkel7
Level 3: Gumshoe

I haven't verified this, but there's always the "do-not-call" register of ACMA https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
Level 21: Augmented

@GerdSchenkel7 wrote:
I haven't verified this, but there's always the "do-not-call" register of ACMA https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

there are exemptions in place for businesses that you have an existing relationship with (as you would have by being a customer) that wouldn't stop them calling, they wouldn't be breaking any rules at least, still no harm in signing up anyway, however once you do register you could remind them on any following call that you would like to opt out of any marketing calls going forward as per the do not call register agreement and they should honour that https://www.donotcall.gov.au/faqs.cfm#a2

it does take a month or so after you register for it all to became active, mobile numbers can also be registered

I have found when getting the odd call after registering that mentioning that my number is on the register that a quick apology follows and the call ends very quickly

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Gustov

Thanks for your recommendations but I don't think this will work as it's a recorded message I get asking me to do a stupid survey, I've got nobody on the other end to tell that i'm on a do not call register. I just wish they'd ask me before giving me the survey every time.
Gustov

Well I thought by now someone from Telstra would reply but guess not.... Do you actually care about customer service or is this survey just for show.... All i want to know is how to stop it happening is that too hard Smiley Sad

@Gustov wrote:
Well I thought by now someone from Telstra would reply but guess not.... Do you actually care about customer service or is this survey just for show.... All i want to know is how to stop it happening is that too hard Smiley Sad

it's quite possible the people here don't know how to stop it, from memory I've had it once after a service call, I don't particularly like recorded voice services but it was the way for me to give feedback about the tech that came out, the suffering was over after about 60 seconds so not a big deal (I thought)

have been into Telstra shops many times for various things but don't ever recall getting the survey following a visit, anything different about what you were in there for?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gustov

My partner and I went and got a couple new mobiles phones at the same time and we both received the call. Then I went back a couple weeks later for another mobile and received another call. My whole family also use Telstra and most of them have had it come through too. What is especially annoying is if you don't answer it just starts recording the message on my voicemail which I get charged for, so Telstra is ripping me off even if it's only a small amount.

while I've only ever had it once I agree that to receive it too often would be annoying and there should be an opt out like there is with most telemarketing type events

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Hi All,

To Unsubscribe from Marketing (Including Research) you should be able to call 1800 039 059, or email privacy@online.telstra.com.au and provide your Account Number/Name/DOB and they should be able to "Opt Out" from all marketing and research calls.

I don't believe this stops the Survey calls you will get when you call the call centre however.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Gustov

Sorry bennyf11 but thats not good enough shouldn't the shops ask me if I want to opt in rather than me having to chase around to opt out. They ask me a million other questions while i'm there why can't this be one of them, i'm sure it wouldn't be hard for you guys to change this!
Ben_F

Hi Gustov,

Customer feedback surveys are offered  on almost all inbound and outbound calls and customer interactions in store, and can sometimes be linked to individuals, Teams, and Departments pay.

By making the survey "Opt In" it creates a position where there is potential for the figures to be skewed. I mean, if you had a customer that wasn't satisfied with the service you provided them, and you would lose $$ if they completed the survey, would you offer one?

New Users - Click Here!

Gustov

I appreciate the fact you guys want to know how your staff are performing but I fail to see how this is my problem and why I should have to put up with the surveys more than once. Maybe a better idea to stop your staff from skewing the results and irritating the customer with pointless surveys would be to add a customer feedback website on all your receipts or a phone number we can call. This way it gives us a chance to have our say if we wish and dosen't bother people if they don't.
Ben_F

So you went into a Telstra Shop twice, and you received 2 surveys yes? The surveys are linked to the individuals who performed each order (not sure if it was the same person or not), therefore you are rating each individual on their customer service.

I'll go into some reasons why I speculate its setup the way it is (its just speculation on my part, as I'm not a decision maker around the surveys):

- Opt-In provides the ability for consultants to skew results

- Opt-In via Phone/Email only encourages those on the maximum ends of each specturm (Those who are happy enough to provide the feedback, and those who are so upset). It doesn't get a reasonable cross section of the customer base, it only gets each extreme. Customers are able to voluntarily provide good or bad feedback via Telstra.com already

- Opt-Out options fit in well with existing policies around Opting out of Marketing (you are already opted in to receive marketing from Telstra, unless you opt out).

- The more surveys that Telstra gets, with the more comments, means they are able to assess what needs to be improved. If, for example, the business sees a massive dissatisfaction trend due to a policy change, they can monitor that more effectivley.

Your original question was on how to Opt Out, and calling or emailing the contacts I provided earlier should do this.

New Users - Click Here!

Gustov

Wow I would of thought my last response would be treated with a "thank you for your input we'll take it under advisement" but instead you want to tell me all about Telstra reasoning behind it for which I don't really have that much interest in knowing. I'll tell you the reason the surveys have made me angry and maybe you'll see the customers point and take off your Telstra coloured glasses. I work mostly nights and I spend my days either sleeping or on the odd occassion getting out to see a movie. The first time I received a survey call I was asleep in the afternoon, lucky for the staff member who the call was about I was fairly nice with my scores. The second time I was also asleep and my partners phone was next to me calling them for a survey, this time the same staff member didn't get such a nice review as I was pissed having the call again. The third time I was in the cinema and actually walked out of the movie to answer the call thinking it was for work but missed it. The third time would of gotten a bad score except it went to my voicemail and decided to play its survey at my expense on there. How your company thinks my scoring of your staff actually is a true reflection of how they served me is a joke. I apologise to the staff that got my bad score but I'm taking it out on Telstra not them personally. Originally yes I did ask how to opt out and i'm sorry I wasn't more specific but i'm not really looking to have to call up in my time or email I'd like an easy solution like a free text number or something. I guess its lucky telstra dosen't get rated on it's facebook help or so far I'd be giving a 1 for the service, but fairly i'd give a 5 for the effort in having this facebook site for us.
Ben_F

Gday Gustov,

Apologies you felt that way, and that wasn't my intention at all.

Whilst I am employed by Telstra, I don't spend a lot of my time helping out on these forums, and I do so in my Own time. I'll definitely take your feedback about how I handled this on board, however it might be good to chat with our Facebook Customer Service team using the link on the Left if you want to get this done. I believe that its possible for them to opt you out of marketing as well (but good to check first).

I've just checked the Facebook Widget that links to the main site (http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au), and notice my signature doesn't show over there, so I'll say it now: Although I'm a Telstra Employee - All words are my own and represent my opinion only - not that of Telstra. Apologies if you thought my response was in an official capacity (as its not), and I hope that explains the reasoning behind my answers.

New Users - Click Here!

Gustov

Thanks bennyf11 for your honesty, while having to directly contact them for something I feel they shouldn't be doing this much in the first place is very annoying to me I'll stop taking it out on you. Thanks again

@Gustov wrote:
I'll tell you the reason the surveys have made me angry and maybe you'll see the customers point and take off your Telstra coloured glasses. I work mostly nights and I spend my days either sleeping or on the odd occassion getting out to see a movie. The first time I received a survey call I was asleep in the afternoon, lucky for the staff member who the call was about I was fairly nice with my scores. The second time I was also asleep and my partners phone was next to me calling them for a survey, this time the same staff member didn't get such a nice review as I was pissed having the call again. The third time I was in the cinema and actually walked out of the movie to answer the call thinking it was for work but missed it. .

I guess they were calling you during business hours, just not 'your' business hours, I'm sure if they made these types of calls at 7pm though it would aggravate quite a lot more people

Gustov

Thanks jokiin maybe it's something for Telstra to consider if they are going to continue with these surveys to ask the customer what time is best for them because we don't all operate the same hours in this 24/7 world we now live in.
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@Gustov wrote:

I'm a Telstra employee but I'm not posting here in that capacity. As others have pointed out, a reason you may not get a direct answer here is that the right people may not be listening. There are maybe 50,000 people working at/for Telstra and a handful on the CrowdSupport Forums. The intention of this forum is for everybody, customers, non-customers, staff to share advice and try and help.

Occasionally, you'll find some senior management on here and Gerd is an example but I'm not sure how much time he has to read and respond to every complaint - and this wouldn't be in his patch anyway. And, to be honest, even though I've worked at Telstra for over 12 years, I have no idea who is responsible for that area. If I find out, I will forward your complaint.

And that's the reason you'll often get explanations here. People who are sharing what info they have to try and help. Maybe not help change something. Maybe just help provide context or ideas or advice. This is not a direct customer service forum. The facebook and twitter pages are much better for that and the guys in Adelaide, some of whom may be on here, may be able to help more directly. But people posting here with info are trying to fill in blanks. And you can bet, in almost every case, we're not responsible for the issues you are facing. But we are trying to help. However we can.

And on that topic - one thing that _might_ work is that now that you know it's going to happen - when you interact with in-store staff, ask them if they are able to prevent the survey. Explain to them that they're not going to get good feedback and the best customer service they could provide at that point is to attempt to prevent it. They may not be able to. But you might be able to ask them to escalate it to their manager. And that's how information flows back up into the company. And if enough people do that, those managers will share the reaction they're getting with their managers and their peers. And they may be able to propose a solution if none exists already.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
taz_zina
Level 1: Cadet

Just do what I do... hand the phone over to the baby and let them goo and gaa down the phone.. very funny with my 18 month old... lol Smiley Happy best laugh I have got yet...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now