CrowdSupport®
AnthonyHanna23
Level 1: Cadet

I'm getting charged for calls I'm not making

This is the 4th month running where I am being charged for home phone calls that I am not making. I know I'm not making these calls because I do not have a physical phone set up in my house. 

I am on a broadband package which has to have a phone number attached to it. We have mobile plans with other providers so there is no need to have a physical home phone. 

I have called Telstra several times now, to their credit they have given me credits, however, I feel I should not have to call every month and spend an hour on the phone each time while they keep putting me on hold to 'talk to their supervisor and see what's going on'. 

Each time I'm also told a different story. First they said it wouldn't happen again and have blocked all outgoing calls - obviously not. Second time the person assured me they took care of it and blocked all outgoing and incoming calls - obviously not. The third time which was at the beginning of September (just before my monthly usage renews) they said they would block each number individually - obviously not because 2 weeks in there is already a total of $30 owed to 13 numbers all of which last less than 10secs and are at obscene times of the night. 

What can be done here? 

I feel like they have crossed some wires somewhere because when I jump on the Telstra 24/7 app it is also saying that I haven't used a single mb of data in the past 3 months. The people I speak to on the phone cannot seem to understand this issue...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: I'm getting charged for calls I'm not making

Your post  sounds very frustrating for you.  I think it's reasonable  to lodge a complaint.

I've  provided a link below 

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Level 25: The Singularity

Does the number begin 1345? If so,  it's a back to base alarm system dialling the monitoring company. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
AnthonyHanna23

Thanks for your reply and the link professorphone. I think I will be lodging a complaint at this stage

AnthonyHanna23

Hi Jupiter,

13 11 11 and 13 11 21 seem to be the two most called numbers when I check the logs. The Telstra billing team thought that it may be a base alarm too but it is not. Thanks for the suggestion though

13 11 11 is RACV Roadside assistance. Can't find a record for 13 11 21.

It almost sounds like a mis-alignment in your account and service details if you aren't seeing any data usage as well.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @AnthonyHanna23,

Thanks for reaching out. I can understand your concern regarding the unknown phone calls on your bill. In this particular case, I also recommend raising a formal complaint and our team will be able to investigate this matter further  https://tel.st/chheb. Let me know if you have any questions.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now