CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Boggles
Level 15: Special Agent

ID Requirements

When someone representing Telstra (Call centre) calls offering to renew your contract, sign up for new mobile etc, what is the regulations concerning ID?

If I go instore I have to provide my drivers licence and the store photocopies it. Over the phone they asked for my drivers licence number and expiry date, asked for DOB.

Do they not have to sight my ID? I know they cant over the phone but is licence number and exp date enough over the phone?

Could someone please direct me to where I could find the regulations concerning ID customers over the phone.

Thanks

Smiley Very Happy

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 23: Superhero

Re: ID Requirements

If you are an existing customer, who can verify you are the account holder, that goes a long way.

They would also normally conduct a credit check. This often includes something called a 'Veri-check' (or similar) which cross references the information you've provided with Whitepages and Electoral Roll information.

I have in the past heard of people who have been asked to go into a Telstra Shop and have their ID copied/faxed to Telstra when there was any doubt.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Boggles
Level 15: Special Agent

@Kalak wrote:
If you are an existing customer, who can verify you are the account holder, that goes a long way.

Thanks,

But what I am meaning is if Telstra / 3rd party call centre calls a customer to renew their plan / handset or any other Telstra service, is verifying name, date of birth, and asking for drivers licence number & expiry date sufficient seeing as the stores have to sight the ID. 

How do you verify the person on the phone is the account holder if you cannot sight ID?

Cheers.

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
Level 23: Superhero

In the same way that they verify your identity when you call them. If you know the name, date of birth and your ID matches what is already on file, it's 'safe' to consider you the account holder.

When I ordered a new iPhone for my partner with Vodafone early this year all I had to quote was my PIN.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you are gaining a new device then the courier will need to see the drivers licence (not learners permit), Australian Passport or Blind Citizens card when they deliver it. If they dont see it or the details do not exactly match then the driver is meant to return the handset to Telstra & not deliver.

Cheers,

Ben B
Telstra Digital Sales & Service

Have you checked out the Community Guidelines or the Community Knowledge Base lately?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now