CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Christophe1
Level 1: Cadet

Important changes to some Telstra email services

Answered

re: The upcoming changes to Bigpond email services.

My wife and I currently use Eudora ver 7.1.0.9.  We have used this for many years and do not want to change if it can be avoided. 

All the other programs we have seen or tried are unnecessarily complicated. Eudora is so simple, fast and effective. Must we change? 

If not, will you be able to give us advice as to how to change over.

Why are you changing what appears to have worked perfectly for decades?

Christopher Robinson,

<removed for your privacy>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Important changes to some Telstra email services

Hi Christophe1, 

Here are the settings you will need once your mailbox is changed over to the Telstra Mail platform.

IMAP & SMTP

• Account Type: IMAP
  • Username: Enter your full email address (ending in '@bigpond.com' or '@bigpond.net.au' or @telstra.com)
  • Password: Enter your Telstra email account password, which will be case-sensitive
  • Incoming Server Details: imap.telstra.com
  • Incoming Server Port: 993
  • Incoming Server Encrypted connection: SSL
  • Outgoing Server Details: smtp.telstra.com
  • Outgoing Server Port: 465 (recommended) or 587
  • Outgoing Server Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587
  • Other Settings to check: Ensure the checkbox is ticked for 'Outgoing server requires authentication', in most mail clients this is not ticked by default

These details can be found here along with other FAQ's about Tesltra Mail:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/telstra-mail/recommended-email-settings-for-telstr...

If you wish there is a downloadable Telstra Mail™ Setup Wizard tool which will automatically update your email application with the new Telstra Mail settings while maintaining your current email protocol* i.e. POP or IMAP.  You can find it here: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/telstra-mail/set-up-telstra-mail-for-your-computer...

Hope this helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being

You don't have to change email clients

You may have to adjust the incoming and outgoing settings when your email account migrates to Telstra mail

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Christophe1
Level 1: Cadet

Is there anyone in Telstra who can tell us the ACTUAL settings in Eudora needed when the changeover occurs?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Christophe1, 

Here are the settings you will need once your mailbox is changed over to the Telstra Mail platform.

IMAP & SMTP

• Account Type: IMAP
  • Username: Enter your full email address (ending in '@bigpond.com' or '@bigpond.net.au' or @telstra.com)
  • Password: Enter your Telstra email account password, which will be case-sensitive
  • Incoming Server Details: imap.telstra.com
  • Incoming Server Port: 993
  • Incoming Server Encrypted connection: SSL
  • Outgoing Server Details: smtp.telstra.com
  • Outgoing Server Port: 465 (recommended) or 587
  • Outgoing Server Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587
  • Other Settings to check: Ensure the checkbox is ticked for 'Outgoing server requires authentication', in most mail clients this is not ticked by default

These details can be found here along with other FAQ's about Tesltra Mail:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/telstra-mail/recommended-email-settings-for-telstr...

If you wish there is a downloadable Telstra Mail™ Setup Wizard tool which will automatically update your email application with the new Telstra Mail settings while maintaining your current email protocol* i.e. POP or IMAP.  You can find it here: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/telstra-mail/set-up-telstra-mail-for-your-computer...

Hope this helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

rherber1
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I have tried following your settings for IMAP using Eudora and thet are not detailed enough. I found that Eudora has some extra options where the Port numbers have to be specified but even when set as recommended I couldn't get it to work.

While I am quite computer literate and I have no trouble stting up Eudora for POP working when I try the settings given for manual set up of IMAP I get an SSL certificate error when I try to send an email.

I find Outlook is just too complex and difficult to understand for something so basic as sending and receiveing email.

Any further suggestions for Eudora would be welcome.

Try the POP settings https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

I remember having a lot of trouble with Eudora working properly with modern email account as it doesn't seem to inherently like email settings that require SSL encryption and settings had to be adjusted manually in it's ini file. Certificate issue could also be due to it being a depreciated software as of 2013 with the last release being in 2010. It was dropped in favour of Thunderbird

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now