Glenns1
Level 2: Rookie

NBN Modem Reporting on 4G to Telstra although actually on DSL

I am receiving several emails and text messages from Telstra stating that my NBN service has switched to 4G for over 24 hours, although all indications are that it is operating on DSL. Speed is 46 Mb/s down and 17 up. Modem led indicators show all good. We are on FTTC and modem is Technicolor DJA0230. The Telstra email and text messages are asking to go to telstra.com/fix, but as far as we are concerned there is no problem to report or act on. Regards, Glenn.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 21: Augmented

Re: NBN Modem Reporting on 4G to Telstra although actually on DSL

@Glenns1 Your actually the third person I have seen who has posted on the same issue.

I haven't been following those threads but it sounds as though there must be a bug in the system somewhere.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Glenns1

@Ozmoz wrote:

@Glenns1 Your actually the third person I have seen who has posted on the same issue.

I haven't been following those threads but it sounds as though there must be a bug in the system somewhere.

Thanks @Ozmoz...

It looks like a bit like bug in the modem itself. 

The line speeds I am getting look like DSL as the led indications on the NCD and modem indicate DSL. 

The wierd thing is that when I log onto the gateway, it says conflicting things.

On Basic view, it says broadband service working normally and connected online.

In the Advanced view, it says DSL disconnected (Broadband) and Mobile disconnected (Mobile)!

So according to that I have no connection at all....

I have power cycled the modem and NCD a few times with the same indications.

Level 24: Supreme Being

The modem would be correct. It's not connected via DSL (the NCD is) or mobile. You should see Ethernet connected and WAN Sensing: ETH in advanced > broadband

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Glenns1

Thanks Yastiandrie,
Of course..... it's connected to the NCD!
It is reporting Ethernet Connected and WAN Sensing L2: ETH in advanced > broadband as you suggest, so it's all good then, just Telstra think that it's on mobile data for some reason.

@Glenns1 wrote:
Thanks Yastiandrie,
It is reporting Ethernet Connected and WAN Sensing L2: ETH in advanced > broadband as you suggest, so it's all good then, just Telstra think that it's on mobile data for some reason.

@Glenns1 Just curious, are you on the NBN 100GB plan? The previous posts with this the same issue are on that plan.

This did happen to me too (on my FTTN few times) and I asked @Yastiandrie to have a look into it... I do not feel like disclosing our private communication here so I will leave it up to him to say what needs to be said... IMHO, it looks that there are at least two different systems handling this and they are not always in sync...

I had another switch to WLAN and then back to NBN due to maintenance in my area (NBN is setting micro node I my area, getting me from 1,100 metres from the node to 100 metres to the node, Smiley Very Happy) today so I will see if it worked OK this time...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Glenns1

@Ozmoz wrote:

@Glenns1 wrote:
Thanks Yastiandrie,

@Glenns1 Just curious, are you on the NBN 100GB plan? The previous posts with this the same issue are on that plan.

@Ozmoz Actually, the plan does not have a stated speed that I can see on my account, it was migrated from an ADSL plan a couple of weeks ago.  No texts or email from Telstra today about being on mobile data, so maybe it is back in sync.

Glenns1

@ForensicsGuru, It seems to have sorted itself out now, not sure whether anyone did anything or it just resync'd thanks.

When I rang (just out of the curiosity) Level 1 support did not have a clue what I was talking about...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

@Glenns1 wrote:

@Ozmoz wrote:

@Glenns1 wrote:
Thanks Yastiandrie,

@Ozmoz Actually, the plan does not have a stated speed that I can see on my account, it was migrated from an ADSL plan a couple of weeks ago.  No texts or email from Telstra today about being on mobile data, so maybe it is back in sync.

@Glenns1 It wasn't the speed I was enquiring about, it was the plan size you are on?

Glenns1

@Ozmoz

OK, the plan size is 1200 GB / month. cheers.

FYI

There is a fix being released next week that should stop the 'false flags' from occurring. Thanks to those who provided details so I could get it investigated

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
virtualworker
Level 1: Cadet

I've got the same issue for a while now. A few phone calls from Telstra saying please get off our 4G. SpeedTest suggests it is on DSL, but Advanced view in the Gateway says DSL disconnected. They tried to register me today (after 2 months!) tomake it go away but after reboots of everything, no joy. We have interwebs fine though, but it's that darn red light...make it go away!

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now