CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Overcharged on my Telstra Bill

My bill, due 27th December has $19.95 of incorrect charges. I confirmed these errors on chat, however a new bill has not been issued. Do I have to pay the $19.95 and wait until the next bill for it to be corrected? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Overcharged on my Telstra Bill

There's no "hard and fast" answer.
If the credit was done correctly by the staff member, technically it show on the next or the following bill.
But, as things sometimes "go wrong", I personally wouldn't take a chance, and pay it, and then you will eventually have a credit.
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for the reply. As I only have the original bill and I am registered for direct debit, I’m assuming the overcharges will be debited on the due date. I suppose my question is whether a new bill will be issued for this month? How do I know that the overcharges have been corrected other than checking the next bill in a months time?
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

My experience is that current (erroneous) bill is NOT re-issued and credit is applied to the next bill.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Sandi.... did you get an Interaction number? A long sequence of numbers beginning with INT.
I agree with Guru that you don't get a corrected statement.
Adjustments very often take 2 further statements.
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Yes, it can take even longer than one billing period... I do not know this, nor I am claiming it to be correct, but I believe that Telstra's billing system runs on some sort of legacy mainframe system (COBOL anyone??? 😁) and that there is no way to run another bill until end of your billing period...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

That is correct, it doesn't have the ability to recreate a bill, your credit will reflect as previously advised on one of your two next bills.

There are two ways for them adjustments to be done on an account, one is applied instantly and where possible is the preferred method adjusts a specific charge on the account, if this was done, an account balance direct debit should be based on the amount due at the processing date (when the direct debit is sent to your bank).

The second is done as an overall adjustment to the account, this is often done if there are multiple charges to be corrected, if it goes over multiple bills, those types of things. This is applied to the account overall but depending on how close it is to the end of the billing cycle can take some time to reflect (hence the up to two billing cycles) in most cases it will show on the next bill as an adjustment, but if it completes in the system before the direct debit is sent then it again should be based on the lower amount...

It is hard to say without having it there to see, but yes, if it is completed through the system by the debit date it will reduce the direct debit, if it hasn't then the next bill will be lower by the amount of the adjustment.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit