Yorky07
Level 2: Rookie

Overseas charges

I am in the UK at the moment, and recently received my bill! I was disgusted to see charges in excess of $500au on my account for data usage in the UK. We bought international sims to stop the charges on our phones, but I forgot to turn off roaming on me iPad! Consequently I have a dither $58au to be on my next bill! I received NO notification that I was getting these charges! As I said we have International sims so the phone txt was not possible! We bought these sims on your say as the best way to go forward! I requested that notes be put on our account stating phone contact would be impossible but you have the bill payers email and this is checked daily! This on top of the pathetic NBN speeds we are getting back in Australia, which when we left we’re less that 4mbps! makes me wonder why we are with Telstra at all?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Overseas charges

That can't be actioned through Crowdsupport, you will need to have a chat with billing either via +61 439 125 109 or https://livechat.telstra.com

Unfortunately data usage alerts go out via SMS and cannot be manually sent via email.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

You have only yourself to blame. You forgot to turn off roaming on your iPad, not Telstra. You are barking on the wrong tree, sorry.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Yorky07

The cost is not the issue! The data used is the issue! I used 173.42 mb and got over $500 charge for it? I would not be happy with those charges for 17gig! never mind 173.42mb! This to me is disgusting, But thanks for your comments!

That would be the correct price. Data is $3 per MB on international roaming. That's why you need to be careful on any device that has a SIM in it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Yorky07

My IPad is not simmed! It is part of our internet plan at home as we both have Macs and IPhones & of course Ipads.
Yorky07

We bought sims for our Iphones because roaming is so expensive!

I'm not sure what you've been charged for then. If your iPad doesn't have a SIM and can't use the mobile network and neither of your iPhones had Telstra SIMs in them while you were overseas, what were the charges for?

If your iPad doesn't have a SIM, then how could you have forgotten to turn off roaming on it? It couldn't have had it turned on in the first place.
Level 21: Augmented

@Jupiter, I am concerned that @Yorky07 is not telling us the whole story... As you correctly point out, if the iPAD does not have SIM, there is no roaming to switch off as (s)he is claiming in the OP. To accumulate 170+MB takes a little while too... 

I have a feeling that this is just a rant, typical attempt to blame Telstra for everything without accepting own wrongdoing. As such, I do not have any sympathy for the OP and honestly hope that Telstra WILL NOT be lenient and will insist on paying the charges in full.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now