Charles8
Level 1: Cadet

Overseas - phone locked, no SMS or SIM card - how to contact Telstra urgently?

I'm overseas & being billed for my number which is not even under contract with Telstra. Argh.
Telstra said they had unlocked my phone before I left Australia but no. My phone is still locked to Telstra so I can't use an overseas SIM card to contact them to cancel that ph number (yeah, thanks - massively aggravating). That was my original plan.

So, I can't phone them.
Can't send/receive texts from Telstra to cancel the number or stop the bills.
The 24/7 app doesn't work.
The email link on this support service doesn't work.
How can I contact them? Or get them to contact me by email???

It's just bizarre and extraordinarly frustrating.

Can someone please advise? It's getting very expensive racking up bills for an Australian number that I don't even use.

Thanks.
Charles

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Overseas - phone locked, no SMS or SIM card - how to contact Telstra urgently?

Telstra does not have a standard support method via email due to it being an unsecured method.
You can try the LiveChat team here: http://tel.st/livechat
If you had the SIM you could call them, or if you have access to another phone to use to make the call you can call them on +61439125109 and ask for the disconnection team
Otherwise, if you can't contact them via one of those two methods the only alternative would be to load it as a complaint here - http://telstra.com/complaints - you will be allocated a case manager who can contact you via email as you complete the identification when filling in the form. Just a heads up, the form was playing up a little when the character count was higher so try to be concise as possible. But if you get an SR1-x number at the end you have been successful and should hear back after a couple days.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Charles8

Re: Overseas - phone locked, no SMS or SIM card - how to contact Telstra urgently?

Hi DrQ,

Thanks so much for your quick response. I will try the complaints link as the Live Chat 24x7 doesn't work from overseas.

Also, I don't know anyone over here to borrow their phone to call Telstra as I'm travelling alone. If only they had unlocked my phone as promised, we wouldn't be having this discussion!

I will post updates as to how the complaints system goes. Thanx again.
Highlighted
Charles8

Update: Complaint lodged online. Telstra emailed an SR number & advised they would contact me in 5 business days.

I stayed way under the character limit & noticed that large chunks of the complaints form goes blank when trying to complete it online via Smartphone. It's a bit sketchy but if you persevere, you can complete the form bit by bit.