CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Viviena
Level 1: Cadet

Paper Bill Charge

Answered

I recently received a bill with a $2 charge for  'your last paper bill'. This is outrageous. Firstly there was no forewarning that Telstra was going to charge me for receiving a paper bill. Secondly why should I have to pay for Telstra sending me a bill? Can I charge Telstra for accessing my computer and printing out their bill? How much has Telstra made from billing customers for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Paper Bill Charge

We do provide a full range of options and advice on how to setup your invoice/payments, so you don't have to pay for receiving a paper bill or paying over the counter.  

http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Paying-My-Bill/Changes-to-the-non-electronic-billing-and-payment-fe...

You can also now check your bills through Telstra My Account or the Telstra 24x7 App. There’s no charge for paying an account via Direct Debit, Paypal or over the phone/internet.

Some groups of customers are exempt from this fee, such as Pensioners. You can check out the list of exemptions in the link above.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman

This is outrageous. Firstly there was no forewarning that Telstra was going to charge me for receiving a paper bill. 

Which post-paid Telstra Mobile service plan, or Bundle (of home phone and broadband service) do you have? If this is the first time you have been charged the $2 fee, then you must be a fairly new customer.

Part A – General Terms in the Home Bundles section of Our Customer Terms states,

2.21Any Bundle connected from 7 June 2011 requires paperless billing and electronic payment. A $2.00 fee will be applied a month in arrears if you receive a paper bill and/or make a bill payment in person or via mail.

and the My Offer Summary documents – now known as Critical Information Summary documents, in compliance with the Telecommunications Consumer Protections (TCP) Code – for Complete Home Bundles (first introduced on 7 June 2011, and have since been withdrawn from the market), and subsequently T-Bundles (available from on 28 February 2012), all have a paragraph which reads something like,

This bundle requires paperless billing and electronic payment. A $2 fee will be applied a month in arrears if you receive a paper bill and/or make a bill payment in person or via mail. Some exemptions apply. To set up Email Bill, visit telstra.com/emailbill. To set up Direct Debit or for information on other bill payment options, visit telstra.com/billpay

(from the My Offer Summary for the Complete Home Saver 200GB Bundle, as an example)

Similarly, Part B – Our Current Consumer Pricing Plans in the Telstra Mobile section of Our Customer Terms states,

7.21Your Freedom Connect Plan requires paperless billing and electronic payment. A $2.00 fee will be applied a month in arrears if you receive a paper bill and/or make a bill payment in person or via mail.
8.18Your Freedom Connect BYO Plan requires paperless billing and electronic payment. A $2.00 fee will be applied a month in arrears if you receive a paper bill and/or make a bill payment in person or via mail.
9.28Your Every Day Connect Plan requires paperless billing and electronic payment. A $2.00 fee will be applied a month in arrears if you receive a paper bill and/or make a bill payment in person or via mail.
10.24Your Every Day Connect BYO Plan requires paperless billing and electronic payment. A $2.00 fee will be applied a month in arrears if you receive a paper bill and/or make a bill payment in person or via mail.

and paragraphs which read something like,

This plan requires paperless billing and electronic payment. A $2 service charge will be applied per month in arrears if you receive a paper bill and/or make a bill payment in person or via mail. Some exemptions may apply. Visit telstra.com/emailbill to request an email bill and/or set up direct debit. For more information on other bill payment options, go to telstra.com/billpay

(from the My Offer Summary for the Freedom Connect Plan $59, as an example)

are in the My Offer Summary or Critical Information Summary documents for the Freedom Connect plan family (available from 29 March 2011, and have since been withdrawn from market) and Every Day Connect plan family (available from 2 July 2012) of post-paid Telstra Mobile plans.

Our Customer Terms, and the My Offer Summary or Critical Information Summary documents, are all published and available to you before you agreed to take up the plans and/or Bundles described. How much more “forewarning” can you reasonably expect?

Secondly why should I have to pay for Telstra sending me a bill?

You agreed to the relevant term(s) in the service agreement(s) into which you willingly entered into with Telstra, because you want the telecommunications services it offers commercially, that's why.

Can I charge Telstra for accessing my computer and printing out their bill?

In the spirit of providing more hand-holding than the average consumer seems to require, no, you cannot do that.

How much has Telstra made from billing customers for this?

That piece of business information is considered confidential and commercially sensitive, and as customers, you and I are not entitled to be privy to it.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

We do provide a full range of options and advice on how to setup your invoice/payments, so you don't have to pay for receiving a paper bill or paying over the counter.  

http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Paying-My-Bill/Changes-to-the-non-electronic-billing-and-payment-fe...

You can also now check your bills through Telstra My Account or the Telstra 24x7 App. There’s no charge for paying an account via Direct Debit, Paypal or over the phone/internet.

Some groups of customers are exempt from this fee, such as Pensioners. You can check out the list of exemptions in the link above.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Concerned2
Level 1: Cadet

Definitely NOT sonved

when Telstra promises to stop sending junk mail and SMS so I cannot tell what is a bill or another con job - maybe I'll consider it

The only way I can tell phishing marketing and scams from a bill is the only entity likely to send paper is sending a bill and I can check details on paper and match online

along with all the other appalling Telstra service this is just another customer relations disaster

How is Telstra so removed from reality?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Concerned2,

You can opt out from all Telstra marketing by getting in touch with us directly, either through Live Chat here:  http://tel.st/hsc3, by giving us a call on 132200 or by visiting you Local Telstra Shop (use the store locator here: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Find-your-nearest-Telstra-Retail/ct-p/tstore).

Once you get a consultant, just ask to be removed from all marketing material.

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now