Highlighted
Darby
Level 1: Cadet

Paper bill charge!

Answered

$2 charge to be sent a paper bill is a bit rich don't you think??  Don't know of anyone else having the nerve to do that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Paper bill charge!

We do provide a full range of options and advice on how to setup your invoice/payments, so you don't have to pay for receiving a paper bill or paying over the counter.  

http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Paying-My-Bill/Changes-to-the-non-electronic-billing-and-payment-fe...

You can also now check your bills through Telstra My Account or the Telstra 24x7 App. There’s no charge for paying an account via Direct Debit, Paypal or over the phone/internet.

Some groups of customers are exempt from this fee, such as Pensioners. You can check out the list of exemptions in the link above.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES
Level 21: Augmented

Re: $2 charge!

how much do you think it actually costs to send a paper bill?

anyway the idea is to encourage people to switch over to paperless billing
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
nelly82
Level 16: Secret Agent

@jokiin wrote:
how much do you think it actually costs to send a paper bill?

anyway the idea is to encourage people to switch over to paperless billing

To add on to what jokiin has said,  Other providers have been charging the "$2.00" fee for a while, even before Telstra introduced it.  I know that I was charged it when I was with a competitor before I switched,  But they called it "An Account Keeping Fee or Account Processing Fee"  Dont think it's only Telstra that is doing this.

Have I been helpful? Click that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Found a solution? Then mark the solution in the thread to help others find the answer!
Level 21: Augmented

yeah I've had others that charge it also
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Level 22: Superhuman

Darby wrote:

$2 charge to be sent a paper bill is a bit rich don't you think?

No, I don't – and I say so as a customer who has just gone from not being subject to the $2 charge for paper bills, having been receiving them for years, to one who is subject to it by signing up for a Bundle knowing the terms and conditions (including the paper bill charge) upfront.

If you think it is too much, there is the option of using paperless billing, which won't cost you. You can print out the PDF file for each bill after you download it from Online Billing. It's for you to decide whether the $2 is good value for what you get, and hence whether you want to get it.

Don't know of anyone else having the nerve to do that.

Maybe you need to get out more and look further afield. Vodafone has been charging for paper bills for years, at least for the now ‘grandfathered‘ No Plans post-paid product. I still have an old number (which I haven't used for years) in active service on that plan, that's how I know.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Info from Google:

Optus - $2.20 per bill

Vodafone - $2.20 per bill

iiNet - $1.50 per bill

In addition, some or all of these companies may charge fees for payment in person in addition to the Paper Bill Fee. Telstra's $2.00 fee is only charged if you make a payment in person or via the mail, and/or receive a paper bill, but a maximum of 1 fee is charged.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jnhb

Actually TLS was the ONLY phone company that didnt charge this until recently. My Dad went to Optus a few years ago, and he gets charged $3 a bill I think..but he likes a paper bill so pays it.

Unfortunately he had to go to Optus (didnt want to) after being with Telstra since phones were invented as they offered a bundle for $69 for unlimited phone calls (STD and local and 13 and calls to Optus mobiles as well) plus 10GB internet I think? As he is over 80 this suits him well! (His grandson blew the phone bill otherwise ). I was able to cut off all mobile access as it is impossible with number porting to just select Optus..,..or for $99 he could have gor all mobiles. I really don't know why TLS is so much dearer in its bundles on uml;imited calls. He couldnt afford the cost overruns with TLS. Also my MUm has demetia and would forget top hangup too.  He was put on Optus cable and they wired cable to his home..so its fast too. He rarely uses the internet, but the grandkids do when visting. (me too)

I wish for myself TLS would offer a similar bundle that I could afford with unlimited STD and 13 and local nos and 10GB of cable! (although these days I'd prefer 15GB)

Jan

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Paper bill charge!

We do provide a full range of options and advice on how to setup your invoice/payments, so you don't have to pay for receiving a paper bill or paying over the counter.  

http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Paying-My-Bill/Changes-to-the-non-electronic-billing-and-payment-fe...

You can also now check your bills through Telstra My Account or the Telstra 24x7 App. There’s no charge for paying an account via Direct Debit, Paypal or over the phone/internet.

Some groups of customers are exempt from this fee, such as Pensioners. You can check out the list of exemptions in the link above.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bambi001

A better way would be to offer a bill discount to customers that go paperless, rather than penalize ones that don't, I suggest.

Level 22: Superhuman

bambi001 wrote:

A better way would be to offer a bill discount to customers that go paperless, rather than penalize ones that don't, I suggest.

So new plans and Bundles, to which a $2 would otherwise apply, would simply be priced $2 higher in the first place to allow for the discount – except that you may end up paying multiples of the ‘hidden’ $2 if you have many services in a Single Bill arrangement, in which case you'd be financially worse off.

If you think Telstra would simply wear the cost of giving the discount and make less profit overall, think again.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
mrvish

I agree. I think it is ridiculous that Telstra charge $2.00 for a bill to tell you how much you owe.

I need to provide a paper bill as support of expenses claimed for taxation purposes, and I do not believe I should be penalised for not selecting the online option, which would also incur me expense in paper and ink to print out my own bill.

This is an example of corporate greed to satisfy shareholder returns. I understand the need to improve profits to staisfy shareholders; however revenues & profits should not be generated by ripping off the very people on whom you rely in order for your business to survive - i.e. your customers!!

The other one that is complete highway robbery is the Late Fee of $15.00!! If I have forgotten to pay my bill and incurred a $5.00 charge, for example, I would wear it on the chin - but $15.00 is blatant greed and once again generating revenue by ripping off those who support your company.

Have a good hard look at yourselves Telstra!

mrvish

Just because other companies charge it, doesn't make it right!

Mezza1960

I think this $2 charge is wrong....what about the elderly on a pension who does not have a computer or email...$2 is alot on a pension..

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Mezza1960,

We do offer some exclusions to this charge, including for those on an eligible pension card. Our billing team contactable via live chat at this link http://tel.st/hsc3 can determine eligibility and apply this.

Fraan

And what of the aged?    Why are they to be charged this extra $3.20 for receiving a paper account and paying it in person?  You state thet they can avoid this fee by electronic billing and payment but what of those that do not have that service and are unable to make use of it.  Perhaps they can get this fee disregarded by making representation with their super card but how many of them are not doing this because thay are unaware of the facility or perhaps are just used to paing whatever the big companies chrge them.  what of those who are not strong enough to enquire about a discount because of their old acceptance of Might is Right? And you think they will contact you  via http ?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Fraan

Anyone taking up a plan where this fee is charged is informed about this. 
It was never added to existing services - only to new ones, so it was discussed over the phone/ live chat/ in store etc 

The details also formed part of the Terms and Conditions and Critical Information Summary for these services, so people of all ages were informed that this was part of their contract. If people are eligible for an exemption it was covered at the point of sale. 

HatePaperBillin
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Paper bill charge!

Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate Telstra Paper Bill Charges

Telstra are Nasty, Nasty,Nasty,Nasty,Nasty,Nasty,Nasty,Nasty,Nasty, Nasty,Nasty, for doing Paper Bill Charges

Telstra are Cruel, Mean & Unkind, Telstra are Cruel, Mean & Unkind, Telstra are Cruel, Mean & Unkind 

Telstra are Disrespectful & Disloyal, Telstra are Disrespectful & Disloyal to their Customers for Paper Bill Charges

Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate Telstra Paper Bill Charges

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more